• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arsenal have the biggest ticket income som should have been most affected by closed grounds. Everton claimed £130 m more than Arsenal off the top of my head

FFS they tried to claim the loss of transfer income on Gylffi was Covid related.

Reactions: b3h
They are very fortunate that the dross is particularly drossy this year.

However another 9 points for admin awaits if their proposed takeover collapses and they are borrowing £20m a month at horrendous rates of interest to keep the lights on and need £250m to finish their white elephant.

'Burnley, Leeds and Leicester intend to sue Everton for £300m'​

Burnley, Leeds and Leicester intend to sue Everton for a total of £300million after the Toffees were found to have breached the Premier League's profit and sustainability rules, according to the Daily Mail.
The report claims senior figures at the three clubs held talks on Friday afternoon to reaffirm their plans to sue having previously threatened to take action against Everton.

It won't happen, it's just sabre rattling, but what would Leeds' case even be?
Trumped up nonsense about the "integrity of the game", I expect.

They probably are following the logic that more clubs publicly suing means better odds at being taken seriously.

It won't happen, it's just sabre rattling, but what would Leeds' case even be?
Hmmmm Sheffield United got £20m out of West Ham when the prize money was a lot lower. I think the case has an excellent chance. Especially for Leicester who actually went in 18th. Even taking into account parachute payments £100m seems about right for loss of one year of top flight income for them.

And Everton would be utterly fucked if it happened. They simply would t be able to pay.

Leeds were going down anyway though, they finished 19th

They can sue all they like....chances of getting a penny, zero.

I guess the moral challenge is that these clubs could have broken the rules like Everton and stayed up, they followed the rules and were worse off for doing so.

If they're successful though, it does set a precedent for clubs suing Man City / Chelsea for prize money, European places etc

Sheff Utds case was that West Ham should have had a points deduction -they settled out of court. Everton have had one, so you'd be trying to build a case on saying the PL should have punished them sooner. I presume you'd also have to prove they knowingly overspent - our lot tried to get us to believe there was a £25m delta between what our last year end accounts could end up being, so I'm guessing Everton could say they didn't expect it to be so bad and it took them by surprise.

Sheff Utds case was that West Ham should have had a points deduction -they settled out of court. Everton have had one, so you'd be trying to build a case on saying the PL should have punished them sooner. I presume you'd also have to prove they knowingly overspent - our lot tried to get us to believe there was a £25m delta between what our last year end accounts could end up being, so I'm guessing Everton could say they didn't expect it to be so bad and it took them by surprise.
Surely ignorance can't be a defence?

You'd be suing them in a civil court, so it could be. Then for the court to decide whether to believe it and if so accept it
Ah, so their position would be effectively that they're shite with money and didn't know they'd overspent.

Given it's everton that does sound very plausible. They'd just have to present their transfer history over the last 10 years as evidence.

A whole lot of whataboutery here. I wonder if pundits and the media would be so appalled it were Palace, Wolves or Brentford who'd been done rather than one of their pet clubs?

Carragher stamping his feet with the it’s not fair and an over the top punishment.
Saying Everton have worked with the PL on this and other clubs are yet to be punished.
Unfortunately if you commit an offence no matter how much you co-operate you’ll get punished and comparing the city and Chelsea situation is just daft.

If I fully co-operate with the police after doing 100mph in a 40mph zone does that mean I should get a more lenient punishment?

Only spent £28m net over a 4 year period? Awwww the poor lambs. Maybe don't overspend on absolute shit you then can't get rid of.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back