• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once they've taken various mitigations and allowances into account it's about £20m over across the three years. In footballing terms it's like speeding at 40mph in a 30mph zone, not 70mph. Bang to rights all the same, of course. And like wankers who complain about being caught speeding, their pleas now sound pathetic.
only £20m, wow. I think I read in the past they’d argued more than £100m was down to Covid, including down valuations on players, which just sounded a pisstake to me. So I expected them to be a lot more over than that.

only £20m, wow. I think I read in the past they’d argued more than £100m was down to Covid, including down valuations on players, which just sounded a pisstake to me. So I expected them to be a lot more over than that.
A lot of the loss was for things which could be excluded for FFP purposes, like the building of the new stadium, they are still contesting that interest charges for that should be excluded from the calculation. They did try and claim larger Covid loses than any other club I think.

Last edited:
If the suing action by the other clubs is successful it'll probably put Everton into admin, and then another 9 point deduction. Even that might not relegate them this season!

If the suing action by the other clubs is successful it'll probably put Everton into admin, and then another 9 point deduction. Even that might not relegate them this season!
Even if they were to lose it wouldn't be this season. It took West Ham 2 years to settle with Sheff U

The blind assumption that Everton will stay up despite this surprises me, it'll only take DCL to break down (which is inevitable) and their form will nosedive again?

Also the punishment is really lenient isn't it? They have breached FFP and it's only worth 3 wins and a draw?

The blind assumption that Everton will stay up despite this surprises me, it'll only take DCL to break down (which is inevitable) and their form will nosedive again?
I saw a neat summation of it somewhere yesterday.

At the start of the season their chances of going down were assessed as around 33%.

After last weekend's win it was about 3%.

Now it's back to about 33%.

The league should tighten up the rules so (if they arent already) that any punishments for wrongdoings are settled as and when the process is complete. Clubs can not retrospectively claim for losses as a result of being relegated in a period where P&S rules were broken and subsequently ruled upon.

It’s a private members club at the end of the day so they can rule as they please.

Also the punishment is really lenient isn't it? They have breached FFP and it's only worth 3 wins and a draw?
How much should it be though, there's no precedent.

It's 9 points if you go into administration which is far more serious as it presents a clear threat to the future of the club and its employees, and results in ordinary companies being hugely out of pocket.

A lot of the loss was for things which could be excluded for FFP purposes, like the building of the new stadium, they are still contesting that interest charges for that should be excluded from the calculation. They did try and claim larger Covid loses than any other club I think.
if it’s £20m they must have either allowed all the Covid expenses claim or just thought it wasn’t worth arguing the toss over but I’d have expected not all of it to have been allowed for. I can’t see how losing money on player sales should be put down to Covid. Technically you could also have written down players’ values without even selling them and claim it as a Covid cost.. not saying they did that but if it was simply accepted under FFP it would have been a shrewd move.

If 1 charge is worth ten points (I personally think they have been treated leniently and would have liked at least a 2 year transfer ban on top of the deduction as they clearly need saving from their awful recruitment) then if City are found guilty of 115 charges then the absolute book should be thrown at them just to be seen as equitable to Everton. We shall see.

if it’s £20m they must have either allowed all the Covid expenses claim or just thought it wasn’t worth arguing the toss over but I’d have expected not all of it to have been allowed for. I can’t see how losing money on player sales should be put down to Covid. Technically you could also have written down players’ values without even selling them and claim it as a Covid cost.. not saying they did that but if it was simply accepted under FFP it would have been a shrewd move.
They tried to claim £30m for Richarlison as Spurs paid them £50m and Everton thought he was worth £80m

From the athletic

The Premier League has no such published guidelines (as the EFL), but its chief executive Richard Masters told the panel, in his witness testimony, that the league came up with a sanctions policy at the start of this season which uses a starting position of minus six points, with an additional point docked for every £5million over the limit.

I'm not a lawyer, but setting penalty thresholds and applying them to a breach which happened prior to that doesn't seem that solid to me. Seems ridiculous, but true, that you set financial boundaries but not what the penalties for breaking them are.

They were hoping they’d never have to play the Bad Guy, as it were.

Conversely I think you are failing to recognise how poor the other 3 teams are. It's not just on here, Bet 365 have them as 2/1, the promoted teams are all odds on.

DCL is mid as hell, anyway. It always puzzles me that people credit him with so much.

Everton are crap without him AND with him. He’s not a difference maker in that way, IMO.

Conversely I think you are failing to recognise how poor the other 3 teams are. It's not just on here, Bet 365 have them as 2/1, the promoted teams are all odds on.
Oh i think those 3 teams are shit, but one of those 3 teams (Luton) beat Everton at Goodison not too long ago, i think it could be a straight shoot out between the two, particularly if/when DCL gets injured.

Luton scrap hard and give it everything but just don't have the quality, it's a measure of how out of their depth people thought they might be that they're getting pats on the back for running at 0.5PPG.

Sheff Utd are a worse version of the same thing with a worse manager and Burnley love giving away free goals and repeating the same errors every week, and their only goal threat is out indefinitely.

Luton scrap hard and give it everything but just don't have the quality, it's a measure of how out of their depth people thought they might be that they're getting pats on the back for running at 0.5PPG.

Sheff Utd are a worse version of the same thing with a worse manager and Burnley love giving away free goals and repeating the same errors every week, and their only goal threat is out indefinitely.
I'm not saying Luton are good, I'm saying they could well be good enough to finish about an Everton side with 10 points deducted, and that's all it would take.

It's far from cut and dried in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back