• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pogba up on an anti-doping charge.

Fair to say his career has nosedived. Only started 1 game last season.

Had they been more than one goal ahead pretty certain the result would’ve stood.

Should have taken them off and tried to play out the last minute a little later really.

I don't like the flag for hire stuff and I don't like how rugby does things, but I don't think that solution is right. Asking an 18 year old to choose a country immediately is something massive for their future, and they might not even know which ones they are eligible at that point! Identity isn't exactly binary either, a lot of people can feel like they are two identites - you're asking someone very young to commit to something which is pretty complex for some people.

If an player committed to England but he is a bog standard Championship player (or worse), he will have committed to us at 18 and never play for his country. If he had a parent from another of the British teams or perhaps the Caribbean and Africa and wanted to play for them later on in their career - seems fair enough to me. That is something which can benefit the 'smaller' nations, and there's a fair few players who have done it - off the top of my head I can think of Sako, Boly, Afobe as a few Wolves players who switched allegiances to get into international football.

The current ruling doesn't exclusively benefit the big countries, some of the smaller countries can be very predatory in giving teenagers first-team caps in order to tie them down.

The main thing I dislike is players who moved to a country for footballing reasons, becoming naturalised after X years and then playing. That is very fake, and thankfully the Home Nations all don't do it for other reasons. I remember when there was noise about us trying to get Januzaj which was weird, and if I remember there were rumours about Almunia playing for England at one point.

Everton close to being sold to 777 partners, a Miami based investment group.

They seem very dodgy to say the least. But then would anyone reputable seriously buy Everton?

They shouldn’t get within a reindeer’s bellow of passing fit and proper. They are absolute scumbags. Every team they are involved in are tanking as well.

The whole 777 thing screams massively leveraged buy out, Chuck the minimum in to finish the stadium, sell the stadium, arrange a lease back, cream off the profit from the stadium, and then run away from the club having leveraged the original buy out by slapping a huge amount of debt onto the balance sheet. They make a quick buck and Everton are utterly fucked.

I don’t like Everton but I wouldn’t wish that shit on them. One relegation, sure.

If it goes through I think they will end up in league one if they are lucky.

Everton sale completed - fair to say their fans are very pessimistic about the future.

Just been reading up on 777, how in gods name have they got past the fit & proper test?
Apparently Standard Leige fans hate the sight of them. Stories of unpaid debts an owner who was arrested for drug offences 20 years ago.

They are going to asset strip the fuck out of it and leave themselves the owner of a new stadium finished shoddily and with the club as a tenant with vast debt. This is a scandal

Just been reading up on 777, how in gods name have they got past the fit & proper test?
Apparently Standard Leige fans hate the sight of them. Stories of unpaid debts an owner who was arrested for drug offences 20 years ago.
They haven't yet, The deal could take until the end of the year to be concluded.

They are going to asset strip the fuck out of it and leave themselves the owner of a new stadium finished shoddily and with the club as a tenant with vast debt. This is a scandal
Maybe that's how they'll avoid any FFP impacts. Sell the stadium(s?) and then rent them back to the club

I think the PL outlawed that after the likes of Villa and Derby did it as Championship clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back