• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Fitness Thread

It's Strava's fault, really. If it gave your total distance and average but retained the security zone it'd be fine and I wouldn't have to get all grumpy.

It's Strava's fault, really. If it gave your total distance and average but retained the security zone it'd be fine and I wouldn't have to get all grumpy.

I go by the time/distance on my watch as it's mega accurate. The watch doesn't lie - Strava occasionally does!

My Garmin always gets the elevation wrong, often reporting about 18,000 metres of vertical ascent. No idea why it does that and it's a pain in the arse to resolve.

I've noticed that if I create a route on Strava it'll give me the elevation in the summary, but when I actually ride that exact route it's alway far far less.

Does elevation data get included with the gps data on your device?

I've noticed that if I create a route on Strava it'll give me the elevation in the summary, but when I actually ride that exact route it's alway far far less.

Does elevation data get included with the gps data on your device?

It does on mine, though I guess elevation isn't a parameter you'd check for running as often as you would if you were cycling. A friend of mine uses a fitbit and says her data often goes a bit batshit mental.

The various devices I use(d) all report elevation but it differs from one to other. I think it depends on which maps and so on they employ.

Second 5k run in 7 months...

24:58

A vast improvement on my first effort!

Nice work Jinks. I've tried the odd little amble here and there but it's no good, my back twinges straight away as soon as I break into a jog. I'll just have to stick to my walking. Frustrating because I want to lose at least another stone and a half (I've lost two stone since November)

Nice work Jinks. I've tried the odd little amble here and there but it's no good, my back twinges straight away as soon as I break into a jog. I'll just have to stick to my walking. Frustrating because I want to lose at least another stone and a half (I've lost two stone since November)

You could try sticking some weight in a rucksack or heading somewhere hilly if you wanted to try and up the intensity whilst sticking to a walk.

I do at least a couple of miles a day (unless the weather is ridiculous, like monsoon weather), quite often with a rucksack and the weight has come off nicely - but I don't think I can drop much more just doing this. I feel fit enough to go for a run in terms of general sharpness, it's the best I've felt in that respect for 6-7 years, but I'm sure it's not a good idea to run through pain. Pain means there's something wrong.

I could go to the doctor I suppose but he'll tell me one of three things I suspect: a) your dodgy knee causes everything to be unaligned and that's why your back hurts, b) your back is knacked, c) you're getting old.

Don't want to be Ronaldo-style ripped, just lose a bit more so I can get into all the clothes I own really. Not keen on having a wardrobe where I can't wear 30% of what I've got (which is better than the 70-80% it was last year, but still).

Tried swimming, Dan?

I've got dodgy knees, albeit I can do the occasional run, but I couldn't base my whole 'get fit' regime around it.

I can recommend cycling for sorting out lower back problems. I used to suffer chronically but since I started cycling to work about 10 years ago, I haven't really suffered at all with it. And it's not necessary to be a lycra-clad road warrior with a top-end racing machine.

Tried swimming, Dan?

I've got dodgy knees, albeit I can do the occasional run, but I couldn't base my whole 'get fit' regime around it.

I've taken up swimming again after 9 months away from it and I can already feel a difference in my fitness levels. Also saw some 'lane rage' in the pool at work yesterday which was very entertaining :icon_lol:

I'm a non-swimmer so sadly that one's off the agenda (I don't think I could learn now either, I'd get in a right flap). Cycling might be a long term answer, clearly I'd need a bike first...

I've got to concede my football days are over, I'm 36, I've not kicked a ball in five years now and it doesn't bear thinking about how much I'd have to tape myself together to play more than the occasional game.

I'm a non-swimmer so sadly that one's off the agenda (I don't think I could learn now either, I'd get in a right flap). Cycling might be a long term answer, clearly I'd need a bike first...

I've got to concede my football days are over, I'm 36, I've not kicked a ball in five years now and it doesn't bear thinking about how much I'd have to tape myself together to play more than the occasional game.

You could learn - never too late for that.

I thought it was common knowledge that DW couldn't swim, especially since if we left him on a desert island with nothing but a bagful of brazil nuts he'd be absolutely fucked. Or replacing the island with a car driven off Beachy Head. Not that I've put too much thought into the situation of course.

Anyway, yes you can learn to swim at this age: you should see some of the people who get in the pool at the start of a triathlon; some are slow but a lot of others can barely swim at all. So it isn't as if you've got to be like Michael Phelps after a couple of lengths, it's absolutely about giving kudos to them even though they're quite simply not very good at all. Swimming will help with your core strength, which will help with your back problems, and therefore possibly get you back into jogging. You should also look at some lower back mobility exercises which might alleviate some of the issues you have. I'll try and find a link.

Jinky dropping three minutes in two runs? Methinks we have a ringer here...

Back