• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Fitness Thread

I'm a non-swimmer so sadly that one's off the agenda (I don't think I could learn now either, I'd get in a right flap). Cycling might be a long term answer, clearly I'd need a bike first...

I've got to concede my football days are over, I'm 36, I've not kicked a ball in five years now and it doesn't bear thinking about how much I'd have to tape myself together to play more than the occasional game.

Exercise bike? My road bike is currently hooked up to a turbo trainer so a posh exercise bike if you will. Not comfortable out on the road at the moment in my current state and you can watch TV if you have an ipad or the like. There is also a road racing app you can use (I don't) if you feel like racing an actual route.

Cycling is awesome.

HTH

I'll post a screenshot later!

Don't forget, I *did* say I was taking it very easy on my first run to bed myself in :icon_lol:

Good idea - polish up those photoshopping skills first.... ;)

Dan can't swim so this won't be of use to him, but several people at our kayak club have been "prescribed" kayaking for their back problems by their doctors and physios. Works wonders.

And I reckon after a certain age, all physical exercise is better done sitting down.

Duetsch, I'd be encouraging learning to swim too. Plus you could walk to/from the pool for extra exercise. Swimming is great, as it is a form of exercise with very little impact on joints etc.

Also, as a convert to cycling, I cannot emphasis the benefits I have got too much. I only do 2 journeys 5 days a week that are 3.5 miles each way. Excellent cardio-vascular work out. Huge positive impact on breathing and recovery times. I haven't found it to be a massive weight loser, but I have found it saves masses of time!

Plus, the area you live there must be some great options for bike rides.

Incase anyone is interested- I'm trying to get into personal/online training so if anyone wants a fully personalised training/workout plan to get in shape for summer then I can do that for you for a small fee! Cheers, Jack!

I'm sure this will come under "fitness" so...

I decided to have a bit of a detox and so, from Sunday morning I've started to drink nothing but water. No tea or coffee, co carbonated drinks and no milk. I am also helped by the fact that I'm on a run of 8 night shifts so no beer either!
I've been expecting "headaches" as the caffeine leaves my system and just wondered how long I can expect them for? They started last night but just more of a dull annoying pain

Thanks for any info or advice guys

If someone challenged me to go a month without a pint, I could do that no bother. If they made it worth my while.

No way would I jump off the caffeine train at any stage at any price.

No offence, and not to piss on your chips, but I really don't see the point of detoxing. Your body is fully capable of detoxing for you - that's what your liver and kidneys are for!

It's far better to reduce your intake to a more balanced level, IMO.

Cut down to recommended levels (about 4 cups of coffee a day) but don't go cold turkey - it'll just fuck you over when you give it up and fuck you over again when you start drinking it again.

For me, everything in life is about balance and moderation.

No offence, and not to piss on your chips, but I really don't see the point of detoxing. Your body is fully capable of detoxing for you - that's what your liver and kidneys are for!

It's far better to reduce your intake to a more balanced level, IMO.

Cut down to recommended levels (about 4 cups of coffee a day) but don't go cold turkey - it'll just $#@! you over when you give it up and $#@! you over again when you start drinking it again.

For me, everything in life is about balance and moderation.
Spot on. Detoxing is unfortunately like fad dieting.

As long as you are aren't overloading your body with bad stuff, it's more than capable of adjusting to your diet. And if you are having a bad time staying nutritious, the best fix is to gradually cut down, not chug lemon juice and cut a bunch of things out all at once.

To answer Darlos question...about 3 days of headaches is what I had when I stopped drinking coffee...they stopped because I'm addicted to caffeine so I started again... #willpower

I notice Darlo hasn't replied. I hope he's not cowered in a corner, shaking and hallucinating.

I was/am drinking an obscene amount of coffee(or tea) at work, when you're there for hours on your own, armed with a kettle and an endless supply of coffee it's just automatic to "brew up".
The idea for the cold turkey is I was going to switch to decaf and that's the next question...Is it worth the trouble?

I was/am drinking an obscene amount of coffee(or tea) at work, when you're there for hours on your own, armed with a kettle and an endless supply of coffee it's just automatic to "brew up".
The idea for the cold turkey is I was going to switch to decaf and that's the next question...Is it worth the trouble?
How many cups a day are you drinking?

You must be buzzing by the time you get home!!

between 8 and 16 maybe? (none at the moment)
Start by trying to replace half of those with decaf. Then work your way down to something like four cups of caffeinated a day. Take it slowly; if you start getting headaches that's actually not a good thing.

I would definitely bring it down from 8+ cups a day!

Caffeine has a load of benefits so wouldn't completely cut it out but I'd aim for 4 or less caffinated drinks per day.

As Alan says add in some decaf to bring you down slowly instead of going completely cold turkey. No need to suffer if you don't need to!

Back