• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Fitness Thread

Uber respect to Will & Stoo

I find it a minor miracle when I do 20k on an exercise bike so to cover that distance on a bike is superb.

I would probably drown on the swim in a triathlon. How on earth are you able to stand up after the swim and cycle parts?

If you watched the early swim starters in some of the events I've been to, you'd think that they're drowning too, mate. Albeit in some lovely figure-hugging lycra. I actually did the cycle leg with a freshening capsule (think air freshener tree but for, well, shoes) in my right shoe - I felt a lump under my heel but thought 'fuck it, I've got them on now'.

Well done both of you - really impressive stuff!

I thought I followed you? Anyway, yes I am. Go and find me and marvel at my slightly-above-average athletic prowess.

I thought I followed you? Anyway, yes I am. Go and find me and marvel at my slightly-above-average athletic prowess.

have done. And have done. Mightily impressive triathlon 5k time, sir. I'd be satisfied with that time on its own, never mind after a swim and a bike ride.

What's everyone clocking in 5k runs at? (roughly).

A group of my mates are having a little competition this summer to see who can improve their personal best times over 5k the most. With so many doing it, it'll hopefully keep me/us motivated.

I did my first run in 7 months yesterday so clocked in at a very slow 28.10 over 5k. If I don't shave 5+ minutes off that by the end of the summer I'll be very disappointed.

5k PB: 21:49

Last 5k I did: 23:56

My target used to be 25 minutes but I like to aim for under 24 minutes now - I tend to clock in around 24:30. It's taken me bloody ages to regain some fitness after a month long bout of man flu!

Can just about go under 25 minutes. My calf muscles still tend to rebel and put me out of action for a few weeks if I go too hard.

5k PB: 21:49

Last 5k I did: 23:56

My target used to be 25 minutes but I like to aim for under 24 minutes now - I tend to clock in around 24:30. It's taken me bloody ages to regain some fitness after a month long bout of man flu!
21.49 is good going, mate. Well done. If I can get down to the 23/24 minute mark I'll be happy with that.

I drink a craft ale more or less daily and do no physical exercise so small steps...

21.49 is good going, mate. Well done. If I can get down to the 23/24 minute mark I'll be happy with that.

I drink a craft ale more or less daily and do no physical exercise so small steps...

If I hadn't run for 7 months, I wouldn't be getting anything under 30 minutes! I'm sure you'll get your times down pretty quickly.

I don't drink anywhere near as often as I used to - maybe a night in the pub once or twice every other weekend (when I don't have my kids) but never at home these days. I think it's helped.

Five minutes is a hell of a target, Jinky. That's nearly 20% improvement in, what, three months? Unless you're taking EPO or getting coached by Ben Johnson I'd say that such a figure is regrettably unlikely.

If you want to improve your run speed you need to do intervals: ten minutes at a gentle jog and then x-number of efforts at maximum pace with a rest in between. So, for example, I'm going to do a ten-minute warm-up at about 5m/km and then eight efforts of two minutes full pelt with one minute recovery. This will improve your lactate threshold and aerobic performance. Also, try hill reps: run up an incline as fast as you can and jog back down. Repeat until you vomit. Or get tired or bored, whichever you prefer.

My 5k PB is pretty much identical to young Langers' IIRC. I did a brick session (bike into run, to mimic the second and third legs of a triathlon) last week at a consistent 4:23/km which would have put me on course for a new record, but I only did 4k. Nuts. Anyway, my 5k as part of the triathlon was OK but I was hoping for an average 4:30/km, however I started off slow and generally got slower. One of those things.

Five minutes is a hell of a target, Jinky. That's nearly 20% improvement in, what, three months? Unless you're taking EPO or getting coached by Ben Johnson I'd say that such a figure is regrettably unlikely.

If you want to improve your run speed you need to do intervals: ten minutes at a gentle jog and then x-number of efforts at maximum pace with a rest in between. So, for example, I'm going to do a ten-minute warm-up at about 5m/km and then eight efforts of two minutes full pelt with one minute recovery. This will improve your lactate threshold and aerobic performance. Also, try hill reps: run up an incline as fast as you can and jog back down. Repeat until you vomit. Or get tired or bored, whichever you prefer.

My 5k PB is pretty much identical to young Langers' IIRC. I did a brick session (bike into run, to mimic the second and third legs of a triathlon) last week at a consistent 4:23/km which would have put me on course for a new record, but I only did 4k. Nuts. Anyway, my 5k as part of the triathlon was OK but I was hoping for an average 4:30/km, however I started off slow and generally got slower. One of those things.

Interesting. I was taking it pretty easy, because it was my first run back in ages. I'd like to think with regular runs I'll have a bit more in the locker. 5 mins is the target - we'll see!

Will almost certainly go down your intervals route, though.

Interesting. I was taking it pretty easy, because it was my first run back in ages. I'd like to think with regular runs I'll have a bit more in the locker. 5 mins is the target - we'll see!

Did you run regularly beforehand?

Sound advice. We do much the same in our kayak training sessions (obviously not the going up hills bit).

Did you run regularly beforehand?

Not really. I'm one of these bellends who runs when the weather is nice, but as soon as it rains and is cold outside, I can never find the motivation. I have less time than ever as well, with the little one at home. So finding the right time to go out when I'm both free and motivated is difficult.

As I say, this group chat I'm involved in has given me some get up and go to clock better times and get a bit fitter.

Not really. I'm one of these bellends who runs when the weather is nice, but as soon as it rains and is cold outside, I can never find the motivation. I have less time than ever as well, with the little one at home. So finding the right time to go out when I'm both free and motivated is difficult.

As I say, this group chat I'm involved in has given me some get up and go to clock better times and get a bit fitter.

I find it MUCH easier to run in the rain. It can be bloody tough when the weather is warm and sunny. As for 'finding the time', if you start enjoying it, you'll find the time to do it. I'm a single parent so I can't go out 50% of the evenings, so I've found a really good route near my work on the days when I want to get some exercise in (a canal path around Brum - it's awesome). So I go during my lunch break.

Don't forget that if it isn't on Strava it doesn't count.

Yep - get yourself on Strava, Jinks. It's a free app (there is a paid, premium version but I don't use that) and bloody useful for tracking your progress. And what Wombat also means is that we want to spy on you.

I'll be interested in seeing how you get on. If you're only running you might achieve a bit more than, say, me as I have to swim, cycle and do S&C in addition to pounding the pavement, however even knocking two minutes off your current 5k time equates to 24 seconds per kilometre improvement. You need to cut your time by that again to achieve your goal, and *that* puts you 175-200 metres up the road for a sense of scale.

Back