• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Fitness Thread

Wombat/Machin/any other cyclists:
I currently only cycle to/from work. Wouldn't mind going for the odd extra bike ride of an evening/weekend to increase the fitness. There are a couple of decent country parks near me to try, as well as a fair few canal towpaths. If I didn't do the cycling, I'm quite worried about how much exercise I'd be doing.

Do you plan routes in advance? If so, how? Or do you just head off?

If I'm cycling solo I always plan a route so my wife knows how long I'll be and where I'm heading in case I go AWOL: I did an 80-mile training ride (Sponsor me!)at the weekend so it's implausible to consider not telling anyone where I'm going and my estimated time for that kind of distance. Also handy for knowing if there any nasty hills and the like along the route. Same goes for any club or group rides as there's a "no drop" policy so the route needs to be doable by the slowest person in the time we have for good evening light. The only time I'd go for a ride with no definitive plan would be if I had a couple of hours and an ideal mileage, in which case I'd head around some familiar routes and maybe detour a little. Even then I'd let someone know a rough idea of what I was intending.

Thanks for the tips fellas.
Been looking at a couple of local parks, and a reservoir/sailing club near home to start cycling to. Will help me learn the local area too.
Might then venture towards some of the canal towpaths.

Have lost 12 kilos in 6 weeks. 10km brisk walk in the morning, after 4 weeks started running 5 kilometres 3 times a week, after the walk. I do the walk 6 days a week. I try to walk on flat footpaths, no hills.

I eat normal meals, but have cut out chocolate, cakes, sweets and snacks between meals.

I lost 60 kilos in 11 months 8 years ago. Soon as I got to a 36 inch waist 6 weeks ago, I knew I had to something. Walking and discipline with cutting added sugar works for me.
I never lose weight in a gym!

Ran a 5k PB earlier tonight (24:35), rest day tomorrow and a 13 mile slow run on Sunday. Marathon training gong well, but it's tough!

In answer to the question 'Do you poo more after cycling?' I can confirm that I had a banging shit at the Hilton Park Lane an hour or so after completing the Prudential Ride London yesterday. HTH.

Amazing the things that stick in your mind from a forum isn't it? :icon_lol:

Went for a 5 mile run to have a break from work and it almost killed me. Awful time, I feel knackered - why do you lose fitness so quickly?! I was 50 seconds per mile slower on average than the sort of time I want to be getting. Terrible.

Need to start building up my fitness levels once again.

Annoying isn't it! I'm away for two weeks, but I'm hoping to hire a bike whilst I'm over there to try and get some rides in.

I was up to 86 mile had 3 weeks off for various reasons and then was struggling to do 60. Amazing how quickly you lose it.

Broadly speaking you're OK with one week off and start losing condition after two, so three and more really will set you back. Also similar if you've been ill: I had a terrible bout of food poisoning toward the end of May which ended up with me dropping out of my 'B' race for the season; before illness I was low 23-minutes for 5k, after was mid-24. I still haven't gotten back to that consistent level yet except in race conditions, however I have been stomping out hundreds of miles on the bike and doing weight and core training too so I'm assuming some physiological adaptations might also have some influence.

Start John O'Groats to Lands End on Monday and I'm getting really excited.

If anyone wants to follow the live tracking, you can do here.

http://live.supatrak.com/

With the following log on credentials:

A/C No: S00212
User Name: S00212
Password: S00212

I'll post some pictures when I've finished (If I finish).

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Good luck mate.

Was just about to post that I'd signed up for the 20k Charity cycle in Wolves for next Sunday. Perhaps not quite so impressive :icon_lol:

Went for a 5 mile run to have a break from work and it almost killed me. Awful time, I feel knackered - why do you lose fitness so quickly?! I was 50 seconds per mile slower on average than the sort of time I want to be getting. Terrible.

Need to start building up my fitness levels once again.

Having had a week and a half off work, my return saw my short 3 or 4 mile journey make me suffer. Hopefully by friday I'll be back to normal.

Hadn't touched a bike for 2 weeks until Tuesday when I did the dreaded Bham New Road commute. Smashed it, hitting loads of PRs on Strava. Probably more to do with the lack of normal school traffic, tbh!

Wow! Good luck mate.

Was just about to post that I'd signed up for the 20k Charity cycle in Wolves for next Sunday. Perhaps not quite so impressive :icon_lol:

Cheers mate. And Good luck with yours.

Hadn't touched a bike for 2 weeks until Tuesday when I did the dreaded Bham New Road commute. Smashed it, hitting loads of PRs on Strava. Probably more to do with the lack of normal school traffic, tbh!

Are you looking to do that route as a cycle regular? I was amazed at your time when you posted. I have contemplated cycling to my parents, and guesstimated it'd take me over 90 mins. You must be in much better shape than I.

The big thing for me is the amount of time saved. I can cycle to/from work in half or a third of the time compared to any other form of transport.

Oh, & good luck Penk from me too. I'll keep an eye on progress and look forward to some photo's. Perhaps you should blog along the way?

Oh, & good luck Penk from me too. I'll keep an eye on progress and look forward to some photo's. Perhaps you should blog along the way?

I'll be putting things on Facebook, but yes, if I have the energy, I'll put something together each night.

Thank you.

I'll be putting things on Facebook, but yes, if I have the energy, I'll put something together each night.

Thank you.

Good luck Penk, wishing you all the best. Those push ups looked hard going last night :( . Look forward to following how you are doing.

Back