• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Fitness Thread

That'd do my head in, knowing if I was ten seconds up or down and annoy me for an inordinate amount of time if it were the latter. Better to analyse from the comfort of the desktop.

Yeah, good point. I'm at the stage where each ride is pretty much faster than the previous!

Question for the cyclists:

Is it normal for your pooping levels to increase along with your cycling miles?

I don't know the answer to this question but when my youngest suffers with constipation we rotate his legs in a cycling motion to get things moving and it works so unless it is a coincidence...

I also always need to go on a long run which I think is a bit psychological too.

I don't know the answer to this question but when my youngest suffers with constipation we rotate his legs in a cycling motion to get things moving and it works so unless it is a coincidence...

I also always need to go on a long run which I think is a bit psychological too.

Could be related, definitely. Without going into too much detail, it seems to be the day after that it really kicks in.

I can't say I've ever noticed that effect. Could it be that you just eat more due to expending the energy and therefore have more to get rid of?

Tomorrow I do the Surrey Three Peaks challenge - a 26-mile walk up (and presumably down) the area's three highest hills - Box Hill, Leith Hill and Holmbury Hill. Supposed to take between 10-13 hours to complete. It's for charidy, but I don't like to talk about it, mate.

I can't say I've ever noticed that effect. Could it be that you just eat more due to expending the energy and therefore have more to get rid of?

I think I'm actually eating less :-/

I tend to go out after the kids have gone to bed, but before dinner. By the time I come back I've not got the appetite so my portions are a lot smaller.

I've heard of "runners tummy" being a thing, so I just wondered if it was the same for cycling?

Tomorrow I do the Surrey Three Peaks challenge - a 26-mile walk up (and presumably down) the area's three highest hills - Box Hill, Leith Hill and Holmbury Hill. Supposed to take between 10-13 hours to complete. It's for charidy, but I don't like to talk about it, mate.

All the best mate :) Sounds like my worst nightmare!

All the best mate :) Sounds like my worst nightmare!

Cheers. Related to your cycling issue, the worst bit will be the lack of bogs along the route. Not so much an issue for me, but I'm walking with three female colleagues. Some embarrassing conversations to be had there!

Is one of them Paula Radcliffe? She don't care.

I don't experience it personally. Though to be fair I'm only cycling 6 miles a day (weekdays).

Enjoy it as best you can SLA!

Wombat/Machin/any other cyclists:
I currently only cycle to/from work. Wouldn't mind going for the odd extra bike ride of an evening/weekend to increase the fitness. There are a couple of decent country parks near me to try, as well as a fair few canal towpaths. If I didn't do the cycling, I'm quite worried about how much exercise I'd be doing.

Do you plan routes in advance? If so, how? Or do you just head off?

I use the Strava website - there's a route planner in there. It's good for seeing how severe some of the elevations are and adjusting the route accordingly. If you then download the app to your phone you can record your ride to see your average speed, calorie burn, and split your ride into segments etc.

It's completely addictive.

You could always just head out and plot your own route on the fly. As long as you record your ride with Strava you can refer back to it if you want to plan a more specific route (a set distance or elevation gain etc.)

I think exercise is supposed to be good for constipation so I'd imagine cycling would get things moving.

All those craft beers won't help either mate.

The only trouble with not pre-planning your route is you can end up going a lot further than you wanted to, as you take every road or track that looks vaguely interesting and end up half a country away from home.

Back