• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Fitness Thread

That makes sense - ta. I never eat much for breakfast so no wonder I felt so lethargic. And polishing off a plentiful supply of Golden Glow on Friday, Saturday and Sunday night probably didn't help either.

Yes, a weekend indulging in alcoholic beverages may not have helped....but I have done that before and then wondered why I was struggling to run at a decent pace.!

A guy in Penkridge broke the John O'Groats to Lands End Record over the weekend, there are people claiming it's impossible, what do the athletes on here think?

5d157103278da0286e4168f428a4ace0.jpg

Jogging?! 7 days?! I can't see how that can be done? TBH it's slightly out of my comfort zone.

Anyway - I went for a swim in the pool at work yesterday - can't believe I've been here 18 months and that's the first time I've used it! It felt great, but I'm massively out of practise - I was slower than Robert Taylor after a Sunday roast. I could go to the pool during my lunch break if need be, and considering it cost me £22 for 12 sessions as a staff member (to be used whenever I like and there's no set time limit on it) I intend to make full use of it!

Did a run last night too, and was a bit tired by the end. But I did feel good this morning so it's definitely working.

It is about 900 miles from John O'Grauts to Lands End., maybe slightly less depending on the route taken. He would have been averaging just under 5 miles an hour. Given his rest periods, he would have been averaging more than that. It must have been an incredible achievement.

I think the image is bullshit. By all accounts the distance from to the other is 847 miles using classified roads, therefore meaning that this person would be running in excess of 100 miles a day, or if they averaged 7.5mph 14+ hours per day, every day. There's an ultra marathon event next year doing the route over *17* days.

Plus, a Google search indicates he tried it (no statement on time though) and gave up after a day through injury. Perhaps it's his target time or when he was starting.

I think the image is bullshit. By all accounts the distance from to the other is 847 miles using classified roads, therefore meaning that this person would be running in excess of 100 miles a day, or if they averaged 7.5mph 14+ hours per day, every day. There's an ultra marathon event next year doing the route over *17* days.

Plus, a Google search indicates he tried it (no statement on time though) and gave up after a day through injury. Perhaps it's his target time or when he was starting.

I must admit I thought it was highly unlikely. There is a LEJOG 1000 for cyclists, but I believe they take nine days to complete it.

This thread is nearly four years old and I've never read it :)

I've just started a new program last week for getting stronger to go alongside eating better and a bit of cardio a week.

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Really enjoying it so far, very good for beginners in the gym.

Did my first sub-40 20k on the bike on Tuesday. Which is nice. Unfortunately my run times seem to be suffering as a consequence of the time in the saddle and at the gym as I'm a few seconds/km off my pace of a couple of months ago. The trials and tribulations of a triathlete, eh?

Its like spinning plates!!

Off out for another 10k effort later but waiting for it to cool down a bit first!

You should try running in the south of France mate, even in the morning it's nudging 30. And obscenely hilly even though you're on the coast. Thankfully several hours on the beach and large amounts of delicious food and booze restore one's equilibrium.

I thought about taking my running gear to Greece in September for some morning exercises. But that would be monumentally stupid so I won't bother!

It is but it does make all the loafing about, eating and drinking that much more enjoyable and justifiable.

I thought about taking my running gear to Greece in September for some morning exercises. But that would be monumentally stupid so I won't bother!
My Dad's a keen runner and I remember our first holiday abroad was to Greece and my Dad took his running gear with him. The first morning he went out for a run, and there was an iron bar blocking his way that looked a bit like a hurdle. He foolishly tried to hurdle it, smacked his knee on it and fell over. He then had to hobble through the rest of the holiday.

The moral of the story is don't take your running gear on holiday with you.

Back