• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Fitness Thread

wrestled with my five year old son in the sofa for 10 mins..job done

Just did my first ever 10k and managed it in my fastest average pace yet (7:27 per mile).

An excellent run and I'm delighted with it - I didn't feel like I was pushing myself too hard either.

Just did my first ever 10k and managed it in my fastest average pace yet (7:27 per mile).

An excellent run and I'm delighted with it - I didn't feel like I was pushing myself too hard either.

Well done. And the fact that you felt comfortable makes it even better. I would suggest doing another 10k run, and push just a little harder. You know the distance is no problem, now test your body a bit more.

The only issue are the two red marks on the front of my shirt. Stingy nips! Ouch. Didn't notice it on the run!

I'll probably rest now til Monday when I'll do another - I don't think I should do too much too soon.

Get yourself some nipple tape Langers...

The only issue are the two red marks on the front of my shirt. Stingy nips! Ouch. Didn't notice it on the run!

I'll probably rest now til Monday when I'll do another - I don't think I should do too much too soon.

Agreed. Don't overdue it, have a rest, then go again. Regarding tender nipples, I used to put Vaseline on my nipples and other tender areas, but tape is fine.

I call that sprinting. If I average under 10 minute mile I am happy.

13015425_1157874257609184_769954507980092526_n.jpg

I call that sprinting. If I average under 10 minute mile I am happy.

Speed is not important as long as you are getting what you want from running. Though one way to get a little quicker is to set yourself targets. If you normally do a set course in a certain time try to knock 10 seconds off your time. You will then probably find in a short time that you have knocked a minute per mile off your usual pace.

I did the same 10k route again yesterday - but my time was awful - more than 4 minutes slower. My legs felt really heavy for the last half of the run and I was pleased to finish, whereas on Thursday, I could have carried on. No niggles though, fortunately.

That's what happens when you go a bit mad with real ale over a Bank Holiday weekend! It's scary how much it can affect you. I also find I'm not as quick in the mornings as opposed to when I run in the evenings after work.

If you're running before breakfast you'll be in a fasted state and therefore slower. Running like that is good for getting the body to burn fat for an energy source as opposed to glycogen which is the go-to fuel.

I must admit that I rarely ran first thing in the morning. Wombat has lots more knowledge than me on this subject, but I also tended to feel a bit lethargic when doing one of my rare early morning runs. When I was running long distance races, many of them had a 9.30 start, so I would get up four hours before the race and have a light breakfast and plenty of liquids, and that suited my needs. Though of course nowadays there is a lot more technical information on the subject.

I bit of advise on what to eat whilst riding, please. I've been tending to take energy biscuits, bars, etc., but seem to be constantly hungry after about an hour and lack energy from about 3 hours onwards, like I would if I hadn't eaten.

What would be the best food to eat whilst out?

I have never done a lot cycling, so I cannot help. Though when running I would never eat anything, just take plenty of fluids.

It's a bit different when you're out for 7 to 8 hours.

Absolutely. The longest I would have been out running would be 3 or 4 hours, which is plenty long enough, and the most important thing was to keep oneself hydrated. Hopefully any cyclists on here can advise you about taking food on board.

I bit of advise on what to eat whilst riding, please. I've been tending to take energy biscuits, bars, etc., but seem to be constantly hungry after about an hour and lack energy from about 3 hours onwards, like I would if I hadn't eaten.

What would be the best food to eat whilst out?

Banana. Works for me Penk (although I might add i'm never out for 7 or 8 hours)

If you're running before breakfast you'll be in a fasted state and therefore slower. Running like that is good for getting the body to burn fat for an energy source as opposed to glycogen which is the go-to fuel.

That makes sense - ta. I never eat much for breakfast so no wonder I felt so lethargic. And polishing off a plentiful supply of Golden Glow on Friday, Saturday and Sunday night probably didn't help either.

Back