• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Fitness Thread

I've done a few Parkruns recently and started out slowly, walking part of the way at the beginning. Then managed to make it all the way round at a jog. Then got excited cos I'm quite fit generally, went too fast, and did my calf. Then had an eight week layoff and then repeated pretty much the exact same pattern so now I'm injured again (for running purposes). Not sure I can really be arsed to give it another go.

That was my problem a couple of years ago, continually breaking down whenever I tried stepping the level up. I just put the hours into walking now, I don't trust my body to deal with anything else. Of course, I've piled weight on but I don't really care. I can always get my highlights put back in and moonlight as an Adam Proudlock lookalike (which I'm sure is lucrative stuff).

That was my problem a couple of years ago, continually breaking down whenever I tried stepping the level up. I just put the hours into walking now, I don't trust my body to deal with anything else. Of course, I've piled weight on but I don't really care. I can always get my highlights put back in and moonlight as an Adam Proudlock lookalike (which I'm sure is lucrative stuff).

I've become convinced that after a certain age, all sports should be done sitting down.

Been working out with dumbells for a while now with 20lbs on each dumbell, contemplating having some protein shakes, any advice from anyone who does muscle improving excercises would be appreciated.

I didn't know you ran marathons. Impressive!

Ta for the advice - sounds very sensible. I'm going to build up to a run from my house to my girlfriend's - that's about 7 miles. I don't think I'm too far off that but it won't hurt to ease into it a little bit as I've only just got over an injury.

Don't run too fast and don't be afraid to walk. Unless there is an underlying problem, most running injuries are preventable.

Been working out with dumbells for a while now with 20lbs on each dumbell, contemplating having some protein shakes, any advice from anyone who does muscle improving excercises would be appreciated.

I'm concentrating more on core strength but you should exercise much more than just (part of your) arms in order to build a functional core otherwise the rest of your body won't be able to support your newly enhanced muscles and you'll get injuries. So for example if you're working on arms you should include back and legs.

Don't run too fast and don't be afraid to walk. Unless there is an underlying problem, most running injuries are preventable.

Very good advice. For people who have just started running, then there is nothing wrong with walking part of the way round. But always be careful when you starting running again after walking for a bit. Just start at a gentle jog, and gradually increase. Hamstrings and calf muscles do not like sudden bursts of energy.

I'm concentrating more on core strength but you should exercise much more than just (part of your) arms in order to build a functional core otherwise the rest of your body won't be able to support your newly enhanced muscles and you'll get injuries. So for example if you're working on arms you should include back and legs.

Yeah I have been concentrating on chest and arms, I do a few squats, about 12, I could do with a few more tips for back and legs to be honest.

Cheers Johnny, LOL, not sure about Arnie, my Grandaughters are impressed but the Missus just takes the piss saying I'm 'becoming obsessed'.

Very good advice. For people who have just started running, then there is nothing wrong with walking part of the way round. But always be careful when you starting running again after walking for a bit. Just start at a gentle jog, and gradually increase. Hamstrings and calf muscles do not like sudden bursts of energy.

I rarely go beyond a gentle jog so no worries there :)

You must be doing something wrong if you are piling on weight, when you do lots of walking. Walking burns more fat than running and of course is low impact.

Depending on your age protein shakes can be difficult to digest and can cause constipation as you get older. 100% Isolate whey protein is recomendable as you get older. It is very low in fat and calories and much easier to digest. I still think natural proteins that you find in chicken and fish are preferable.

You must be doing something wrong if you are piling on weight, when you do lots of walking. Walking burns more fat than running and of course is low impact.

Yeah, eating too much. Like I say, I don't care though.

Protein shakes are a waste of money. There's been studies done that show that just basic 2% milk is just as good for helping muscle growth, recovery of electrolytes and weight loss.

Also it's been shown that men should drink/eat AFTER working out. It's been shown that women should eat/drink BEFORE working out as this gives best results for weight loss and promoting muscle.

This is all based on proper science rather than some shop trying to sell you protein supplements.

Last edited:
Protein shakes are a waste of money. There's been studies done that show that just basic 2% milk is just as good for helping muscle growth, recording erythema of electrolytes and weight loss.

Also it's been shown that men should drink/eat AFTER working out. It's been shown that women should eat/drink BEFORE working out as this gives best results for weight loss and promoting muscle.

This is all based on proper science rather than some shop trying to sell you protein supplements.

There is a lot of sense in what you post, however some people don't have time to eat a decent balanced meal with the right amount of protein and I think in this case a protein drink can be of some benefit.

You don't have time to drink some milk but do have time to go out and buy protein shakes?

Back