• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Fitness Thread

2:38! Even better, really pleased with that.

I'll have a look what the exercises I do are called and put them up for you when I'm at home later. They might be the wrong exercises for what you're trying to achieve, as my dumbbells are currently 16.5kg and 10kg depending which exercise I'm doing.

Just looking at this from just over a year ago, I'm now on 27.5kg and 17.5kg and I didn't think I'd progressed much in a year.

I aiming to do John O'Groats to Lands End on a bike next summer for BCH.

These, although I do vary between depending on which exercise. Mainly the 27.5 is for bench presses and the 17.5 is for curls.

Not bad at all. Do you do curls sitting down, standing up, or standing up, with your back against a wall? What reps do you do?

I do 3 sets of 12 standing, 3 sets of 12 concentration curls and 3 sets of 12 hammer curls, well that's the aim. When I can do all the reps I increase the weight.

I do 3 sets of 12 standing, 3 sets of 12 concentration curls and 3 sets of 12 hammer curls, well that's the aim. When I can do all the reps I increase the weight.

You looking to increase muscle size? If you are that is a lot of reps and exercises. If you can manage so many reps, maybe up the weight a bit, but less reps.
Of course it depends what your aims are.

Still bulking at the moment, but I'm finding it very difficult to put on weight (Currently just over 11 stone).

At the moment I'm managing to do sets of about 10/8/6 at those weights, when I get to 12/12/12 is when I look to increase the weight. I have to be careful with the curls though as I have thin wrist, so I need to make sure the weight isn't too heavy for my wrists.

A lot has to do with diet in your case then, Penk. Also I would leave the kettle bells, if you have weak wrists. Also, maybe barbell curls are the better for you than dumbell, with yourweak wrists.. To increase bulk I would 3x8 or 3x6. You should be struggling on the last 2 curls. That his how you increase muscle mass. Your reps of 12 mean your weights are too light. Ok for toning, but not too good for mass gain.
I also think you are concentrating far too much on your arms. You need to to do bench presses, lat pulls and shoulders. Rest is very important also. Don't do weights every day on the same muscles.
So first, diet, up your weights, less reps, don't overdo the arms and the right rest.
I am sure you know, that form, technique and the right rest between reps is very important. In a gym you always get a show off who lifts very heavy weights badly. All he will end up doing is injure himself. Much better good form.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Not really sure how to change my diet. During the week I have a bowl of fruit and fibre for breakfast, wholegrain sandwiches with peanut butter and a yogurt drink at dinner and potatoes, vegetables with either chicken, fish or steak on a night. Weekends is similar, but I'll have poached eggs on toast for breakfast. I'll eat fruit and cashew nuts throughout the day.

All the work I do is on a night at home, hence why I use dumbbells.

This will be my typical week if I'm not going out:

Monday

Bench Press
Bench Flies
Butterflies
Seated Tricep Press
Lying Tricep Extensions
Kickbacks

Tuesday

Cardio - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcN37TxBE_s

Wednesday

One arm dumbbell row
Lying row
Shrugs
Curls
Concentration Curls
Hammer Curls

Thursday

Same as Tuesday

Friday
Abs & Legs.

I'll reduce the number of reps I'm doing.

I've entered my first triathlon in May and I've noticed some slightly odd things happening with my times: As and when I do a 'brick', be that swim into run (albeit with changing time rather than one straight to the other) or bike into run my split for the run side is monstrously quicker than my normal running pace - for example, I did a 9km ride into a 2.65km run and my average was 7:07 for a mile whereas running alone is 7:50-odd. And I wasn't really pushing it, just trying to get the muscle memory in place.

Any ideas or explanations?

Burning too many calories there, maybe that's your problem. My experience tells me machines are not so great. Try more compound weights like Squats ect. You use more muscles and will see a big difference. Still think you are worrying about your arms too much.
I think your routine will keep you fit and toned, which is great, if that's what you want. If you want to build mass you need to do more compound weights, freestyle.

Signed up to do a mud run with a couple of lads from work in April.

10km with 60+ obstacles, should be good fun. Looking at the course map from last year the obstacles were pretty evenly spaced so never more than a few hundred metres running at a time, which should hopefully suit me as I won't need to force myself into doing any longer runs to build myself up to it.

Signed up to do a mud run with a couple of lads from work in April.

10km with 60+ obstacles, should be good fun. Looking at the course map from last year the obstacles were pretty evenly spaced so never more than a few hundred metres running at a time, which should hopefully suit me as I won't need to force myself into doing any longer runs to build myself up to it.

That sounds like a good laugh.

Managed my first run in a month following an ankle sprain, as I'm running my first ever marathon in October it hasn't been the start to the year I was hoping for!

I can understand that as it annoys me no end when I can't exercise: this month has left me so time-poor it feels as if I've hardly been able to do anything, getting by on a couple of 4km runs, some swimming and one bike ride a week.

Quite pleased with my continued weights and exercise so far this year, it may even become a regular thing. :boxing:

Felt great doing the weights yesterday for the first time so my body must be getting a bit more used to it. First couple of weeks were not pretty!

Started doing a few press-ups when I get up in the morning now I haven't got to rush off to work, struggled to do 10 when I started just after Christmas, managed 50 this morning.

Back