• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Fitness Thread

Will do mate.
I'd like to spend 6 months or so getting back used to cycling first.
Plus, doubt I'll have the cash til sometime next year to be able to upgrade.
Am enjoying it so far though, definitely getting further up them there hills!

Leisure Lake Bikes in Wolves offer interest free over 9 months....

Completed my second canoe marathon yesterday, finished 10th out of 36 in my division and got promoted to the next division.

Both my girls also competed over the same distance and did really well, mostly against adults or kids much older than them.

If you're looking for an inexpensive way to exercise (adult membership at my club is £150 per year including gym membership and use of boats/paddles) , that's pretty easy to do and has practically no impact on any joints, I'd highly recommend canoeing/kayaking. Wolverhampton has a club too - http://www.wolverhamptoncanoeclub.co.uk/

Will do mate.
I'd like to spend 6 months or so getting back used to cycling first.
Plus, doubt I'll have the cash til sometime next year to be able to upgrade.
Am enjoying it so far though, definitely getting further up them there hills!

LJ, if your work is in a Ride 2 Work scheme that can really help with the cost.

Did a nice relaxed 7 miles this morning . Quite a hilly route through the Wallops ( north Hampshire .) The countryside was breathtaking .Spain is beautiful , but you can't beat English countryside . My leg held up and there was no pain . I felt fresh and had more to give , which is often when I get injured . Great to be back .

Did a nice relaxed 7 miles this morning . Quite a hilly route through the Wallops ( north Hampshire .) The countryside was breathtaking .Spain is beautiful , but you can't beat English countryside . My leg held up and there was no pain . I felt fresh and had more to give , which is often when I get injured . Great to be back .

Im going for one this afternoon, with not one hill in sight !! The bike ride runs along side a pretty stream , although the sound of the water usually makes me want to wee after 5 miles of it :)

Leisure Lake Bikes in Wolves offer interest free over 9 months....
After the mortgage, I'm trying to avoid any further debt. Add the fucking repair bill some cunt has cost me this week (see the annoy thread...)

LJ, if your work is in a Ride 2 Work scheme that can really help with the cost.
They do. Problem is the scheme we're in only seems to apply to very expensive bikes for some reason.

I'm on a how to fix yer gears course next week. Hopefully all will be well then...

We have a similar type of thing at work, not the goverment scheme but the chairmain is chummy with someone who has provided cycle discount for all our staff, although it only applies to Specialized bikes so you're still struggling to get anything below £500 even after the discount.

Im going for one this afternoon, with not one hill in sight !! The bike ride runs along side a pretty stream , although the sound of the water usually makes me want to wee after 5 miles of it :)

I hope you didn't get caught short , Sue.
You are a lovely person and your good nature and humanity makes this forum a better place.

I hope you didn't get caught short , Sue.
You are a lovely person and your good nature and humanity makes this forum a better place.

A pleasant 8 miles, saw a grass snake, a Heron drinking in the stream, and a weird man in a bobble hat .

Thank you historymakers, that is very kind of you. But I think all our different views, sense of humours, and thoughts come together and make this forum what it is, an interesting and fun place to be :)

Not sure the ride to work schemes offer as much of a benefit as they did when they were first introduced, no recent experience but seems to be the general feeling from reading around.

I bought my fixie on ours in 2005, paid about 40% of the RRP through salary sacrifice and bought it for the employers value estimation. They could pretty much name their price, which in my case happened to be the price of a pint :)

I think there's more stringent guidelines on the final sale value these days if you plan to own outright, probably better off with a 12 month interest free credit card and grabbing yourself some decent kit at the same time. Yes, decent kit makes a big difference in our varying climate!

I think you basically save on the VAT and can have it taken out of your salary pre-tax.

Plus a slight benefit in reduced employer and employee contributions, but as I said you could pretty much buy the bike for a fiver after 12 months if your employer was cool about it. I can't remember exact figures but I had the bike for something like 46% of the RRP.

It got widely abused, they got wise to it and introduced guidelines on market values based on RRP and age.

Good to luck to Stan Hullis in his half marathon today!

Whereabouts is Stan doing his marathon?

Just passing a huge convoy of busses going south on the M1 and everyone is in fancy dress on them.

Cheers.

It was in Nottingham, Bear. Currently at home on the sofa with my legs in pieces but in time for the second half!

Well done Stan. Decent time?

I finished it! That was my time :) not sure about 2:45 I think.

Back