• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Fitness Thread

Got a horrible blister on the bottom of my little toe, otherwise I'm pretty much pain free this morning, just a little achey. Hoping a lunchtime swim might soothe it a bit.

Started my training programme for the Prudential Ride London 100 these past couple of weeks. As it infers, 100 miles around London and Surrey starting and finishing in Stratford. It's going well, better than expected if I might dare say so myself. Feel free to find out more here: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/stoodoggtcj

All the best mate - you must be mad!

Good luck mate - what's your Strava profile address?

Good luck on those Surrey hills!

I'll be OK. There are plenty of Box Hill-esque climbs out here, as well as a couple that are more like Leith Hill so I'm using them to work on and getting the necessary elevation in on shorter rides. It's more or less a case of getting into a rhythm and grinding it out.

I'll be OK. There are plenty of Box Hill-esque climbs out here, as well as a couple that are more like Leith Hill so I'm using them to work on and getting the necessary elevation in on shorter rides. It's more or less a case of getting into a rhythm and grinding it out.

I've only walked up them and that's painful enough. I@m walking what they're grandly calling the Surrey Three Peaks challenge in July - Box Hill, Leith Hill and Holmbury Hill in one day - 26-odd miles in all. Just a walk in the pretty countryside really but I'm sure it will hurt.

I've only walked up them and that's painful enough. I@m walking what they're grandly calling the Surrey Three Peaks challenge in July - Box Hill, Leith Hill and Holmbury Hill in one day - 26-odd miles in all. Just a walk in the pretty countryside really but I'm sure it will hurt.

Been up all 3 of those (but not on the same day though) - steeper than you might think

Another training ride yesterday, up to and past 70 miles. Noticing some elevation discrepancies between Garmin and Strava though, the former reckoning just over 1,000 metres of climbing while the latter racked up over 1,400. New speed record too of 40.4mph which would have been faster if the annoying git in front hadn't braked because of a speed camera.

Do you record your ride with both then?

I was looking at the Garmin 520 yesterday. I don't do nearly enough cycling to justify the outlay yet, but I'm definitely interested.

How does it integrate with Strava? I'm not a premium member so I realise some of the options aren't availbe - live segments etc.

What I guess I want to do is create routes on Strava, export them to the Garmin then use it for navigation and other live data (speed, elevation, time etc) and then for that ride to upload to Strava once it's completed. I don't really want to have to strap my phone onto my handle bars!

Your Garmin Edge bluetooths to your phone, which then uploads to Garmin Connect App and then it syncs with Strava.

I have a Garmin Edge, but I used to strap my phone to my arm. I wouldn't have bothered changing from the phone, but it's doubtful that the I-phone battery will last 100 mile and you lose all your data if it turns off before you finish.

Cheers Penk. I want to be able to see a map and some live data when I cycle, especially as I, hopefully, increase my distances. I didn't really want to have my phone mounted on my bike. I guess if you have both, then you wouldn't bother recording the ride with Strava if you can just sync from the Garmin.

I have a Garmin 200 which syncs to my Garmin account at home and that in turn uploads the same ride to Strava. You can create routes on the Garmin site so you wouldn't have to do anything special on Strava IMO. A basic Strava account still gives you the segments and information on how you're doing on each.

* Correction on my original post: Strava is the one saying just over 1k, not Garmin.

Yeah, I use the segments already on Strava - but you can have live segment info on your Garmin if your a premium.

So do you record your ride with Strava on your phone as well as with your Garmin?

Ah, the 200 looks more in my price range too. Cheers Wombate.

No, just Garmin. I only joined Strava because of my tri club to be honest. If I understand the concept correctly I suppose live segments might be useful if you want KoM kudos and so on but I can do without the distraction.

I suppose it's good to know if you were on track to beating your PBs on segments, but not worth the subscription fee.

Back