• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Euro 2024 Thread

Shilton was an odd one in 1990. Undoubtedly saved us against Cameroon with numerous big saves but looked like a proper old man for Brehme's goal (deflection or not, you should be saving that) and the penalties. Then acted the wanker for the third place game and demanded to play so he could get to 125 caps, denying Chris Woods a game at a World Cup.

He was APPALLING the following year for Derby.

Shilts was way past it and our best chance was to sub him for beasant before the shoot out.

anyway, thoughts are with Fabian Schar today, the diving prick.

Shilts was way past it and our best chance was to sub him for beasant before the shoot out.
Beasant wasn't on the bench. Only 5 subs then rather than the whole squad. Woods was the sub keeper.

Bob only made one sub, Trevor Steven for Butcher with about 20 minutes of normal time to go (think he went to RWB and Parker to RCH). Woods, Dorigo, McMahon and Bully unused.

Last edited:
Never a great fan of Shilton - I always preferred Ray Clemence.

In terms of the 70s there was no better keeper for saving penalties than Paul Cooper from Ipswich Town.
This Ray Clemence?

Beasant wasn't on the bench. Only 5 subs then rather than the whole squad. Woods was the sub keeper.

Bob only made one sub, Trevor Steven for Butcher with about 20 minutes of normal time to go (think he went to RWB and Parker to RCH). Woods, Dorigo, McMahon and Bully unused.
Fair enough and I think I’ve made that mistake before but with some foresight of possible pens I’d have had Beasant on the bench and that would have been my thought at the time, hence the memory.

SBR was too nice at times. It generally worked for him but sometimes…

This Ray Clemence?

Always thought Clem was one for the cameras but he seemed to have a cock-up in him at any moment too. Shilts was more reliable - at his peak that is. Staying on way past his sell-by though severly damaged his standing and he was quite sad to watch by the end. Certainly cost England at times. Pretty sure ego played a part and it’s a bit reminiscent of Ronaldo.

Joe Corrigan was less spectacular but the most consistent over his career of the 3 I thought and a bit hard done by but always had the disadvantage of playing for a crap team. He did effectively get Jimmy Bullard the sack at Hull too so my admiration for him is probably elevated by that achievement too.

Always thought Clem was one for the cameras but he seemed to have a cock-up in him at any moment too. Shilts was more reliable - at his peak that is. Staying on way past his sell-by though severly damaged his standing and he was quite sad to watch by the end. Certainly cost England at times. Pretty sure ego played a part and it’s a bit reminiscent of Ronaldo.

Joe Corrigan was less spectacular but the most consistent over his career of the 3 I thought and a bit hard done by but always had the disadvantage of playing for a crap team. He did effectively get Jimmy Bullard the sack at Hull too so my admiration for him is probably elevated by that achievement too.
Simple thing was, and you hit on it, Shilts was reliable. And there was no-one better at that time than him. Shilton is still, by far, the best keeper I have seen in England. When he was younger and more agile, he was simply astonishing. The save v Scotland in the early to mid 70s where he basically twisted himself backwards as the ball was heading to the top right corner was astonishing.

I saw him play for Leicester, Stoke and of course, Forest, in his peak and he was nothing short of brilliant. His later career is what some of the younger folks will remember here and its understandable how their view is different.

I hate Shilton and not just because of his performance against us in the play offs at the age of forty fucking five. The guy’s a prick.
Can't stand his petty whining about Maradona, even when the latter died he couldn't bring himself to show a bit of humility

Shilton was also voted in the PFA team of the year by his fellow pro's a record 10 times. That in itself speaks for how good he was. Clemence got it once and Pat Jennings a couple of times.

Didn't Gordon Banks retire before you were 1 year old? :)

Yes. But he is still in my top list (as is Yashin (before I was born), Sepp Meier (retired when I was about 8), and Dino Zoff (I was ten when he turned it in)

I'll have a go at picking a team of the tournament:

-----------------------Maignan---------------------

Dumfries----------Saliba-------Pepe-------Mittelstädt

------------Fabian Ruiz---Rodri---Gündogan--------------

-----------Kvaratskhelia---Embolo---Williams---------

Slim pickings for the #9 spot!

Back