• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Euro 2024 Thread

Embolo has oscillated wildly within matches but think that’s about right.

Weghorst maybe (I know, I know)?

I'd have Füllkrug over Weghorst if we're going for someone like that (can you pick someone in the team of the tournament if they rarely/never start?!)

Speaks volumes that we're even discussing them. I've enjoyed the tournament on the whole but it's been a bit odd.

Mamardashvili

Dumfries
Saliba
Laporte
Kadioglu

Rodri
Fabian Ruiz

Yamal
Olmo
Williams

Mikautadze

No Gakpo up front? He's scored in most games.

I'll have a go at picking a team of the tournament:

-----------------------Maignan---------------------

Dumfries----------Saliba-------Pepe-------Mittelstädt

------------Fabian Ruiz---Rodri---Gündogan--------------

-----------Kvaratskhelia---Embolo---Williams---------

Slim pickings for the #9 spot!
Didn't Mittelstädt get dropped?

I do agree, it's been an incredibly odd tournament with lots of the more fancied nations playing weird, negative football.
I'd probably go for something like this:

Maignan

Karnicnik --- Saliba --- De Vrij --- Aebischer

Musiala --- Rodri --- Fabian Ruiz

Mikautadze --- Depay --- Williams

Cheating having Aebischer there but there really have been no stand outs and he played a bit at left wing back for an impressive Swiss team so why not.

I'm going for a France v England final, both teams ( who arguably have the best squads) have stunk the place out with their performances but seem to be grinding their way through the tournament.
Spain have played the best football, certainly the best to watch seem to struggle to score, while Netherlands have been a bit 'flaky'
England probably had their best performance against Switzerland, not brilliant but just did enough. We have the best penalty takers too, hopefully we won't need them.

Spain have played the best football, certainly the best to watch seem to struggle to score, while Netherlands have been a bit 'flaky'

They are top scorers in the tournament aren't they?

11 goals in their 5 games, wish we were struggling as 'badly' as they are
Yep, it was a stupid thing to say😛. Tbf 7 of those were against 2 poor sides, they're obviously good at put the rubbish away. I'm sticking with my forecast for the final though.

11 goals in their 5 games, wish we were struggling as 'badly' as they are

They seem to create a lot and miss a lot.
They will struggle against the better teams.

Struggled to score v Albania, and Germany.
There centre forwards are really wasteful

I'd rather create loads and miss, than create nothing at all. They may struggle against the better sides, but we've struggled against the weaker ones

The Albania game they played their 2nd team.

They scored 2 against a good German side.

They're not struggling at all.

I'd rather create loads and miss, than create nothing at all. They may struggle against the better sides, but we've struggled against the weaker ones
No arguments there. If we created as much with the quality we have would have scored loads.

We are creating very little, but we have world class players that create a bit of magic that's gets you through games

No arguments there. If we created as much with the quality we have would have scored loads.

We are creating very little, but we have world class players that create a bit of magic that's gets you through games
And you don't think Spain have world class players?

We have 1 win in 90 minutes this tournament. We've been complete shite.

And you don't think Spain have world class players?

We have 1 win in 90 minutes this tournament. We've been complete shite.
Morata, would not get in any team left in the competition neither would Yamal and Williams, though the latter I really like
Rodri is superb and up there with the best.
It's having world class players in positions that can win games.

Spain attack is not great, Misses too many Morata should have scored 3 v Germany, Admittedly when Germany were chasing the game at 1 down, his touch to take him clean through was world class, while finish Sunday League.

I Fancy France to turn them over they have 2 suspended, and one out Injured.

It will be interesting to see what the players coming in do.

Back