• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Euro 2024 Thread

Dutch have turned it around. Probably another own goal.

Should be a relative formality for the Dutch on Wednesday apparently

The Dutch practically begging Turkiye to equalise.

Hard to know what to make of the Dutch good in parts but very open in others could easily have conceded multiple times at the end.

England are capable of beating the Netherlands, France and Spain, whether they can or not is another matter.

Had to dash out after our pens, just back in. Our penalties were awesome, every one a cracker.
Chuffed for Saka, think he's been quite poor up till tonight, but he was braver, our best attacking player in this game and scored a great equaliser, I had everything crossed when he stepped up for his pen, delighted he found the corner.

The best thing about winning like that is it should give all the players a huge confidence boost.

Pickford gets one for saving the pen and all our takers score and also get huge boosts. Bit of a hoodoo off our back for shootouts too.

The tournament in general has been pretty light on quality, many of the bigger nations are playing incredibly negatively. So on that point we are keeping with the general trend at Euro 2024. I think the point was made on the post-match analysis of France-Portugal but when games go to extra time the players do seem so exhausted after these gruelling seasons. Cramming in more and more games (Champions League expansion) will surely make this worse.

Delighted to have won, first time I have experienced a penalty shootout live. It really is nervy but the players all seemed very confident and took their penalties well. Considering we have won three out of our last four (two against the Swiss) I do hope the media narrative about the England penalty curse is gone, only added to the pressure historically. Pickford did what was needed and saved a pretty rubbish penalty too. Very pleased Saka scored.

The subs were far too late again, performance was stale. So few shots on target. Only making changes once England had conceded is incredibly reactive and for the second time we have relied on an individual moment of quality to keep us in. Shaw didn't seem physically up to the task yet but I'm not sure Southgate could afford for us to go out and him not play considering the gamble taken. I think the change in system is for the best, we neutralised Switzerland at the least and it meant we did not look as frail as in the Slovakia game. Konsa did pretty well.

Foden and Bellingham together isn't working but Southgate doesn't seem to be up to dropping one of them. Would have preferred Alexander-Arnold rather than Trippier also. Kane has had a shit tournament and physically looks like he is on the decline, I wouldn't drop him but he needs someone closer to him. Same as what was suggested last game I would like Toney to partner him, drop Foden.

Only one win in 90 minutes but we have still managed to stumble into the semi final. I think Southgate is at the end of the road no matter the outcome of this tournament, doesn't seem to have the right ideas to get the team to perform well and these kind of displays hardly offer an idea of how England can progress as a side. At this stage of the tournament the results now take precedence over the performance for me.

England have won three of their last four shootouts

Admittedly the lost one was rather important.

Obviously I’m happy we’ve won in the end but there’s seems to be a lot of hindsight praise for Southgate from the media and Southgate lovers because we won the shoot out which could have gone either way. We barely had a chance all game and he wasn’t going to change anything until we conceded. It was just as slow and turgid as the rest of the tournament for the most part.

Slight difference for me was that Switzerland weren’t any better and played very defensively and didn’t offer much either. Let’s see what happens when we play a team that might actually attack.

Just slightly before my time, but I’ve just watched that shootout and although a couple were unsaveable, he was fucking useless.

Saved one penalty out of 99 all career!?

Back