• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Definitive TWF Worst Wolves XI Thread

My main issue with Doherty is that he is so, so lazy. Especially when he was playing at RB. You could probably make a montage of goals we conceded with him in the background just strolling back towards goal.

It's not just chasing back. The way he puts a token effort into closing down is lazy. The way he marks is lazy. The way he fails to cover the back stick when the ball is on the other side is lazy. The way he "attempts" to stop crosses is lazy. His risible efforts at personal fitness are lazy. His beard maintenance is lazy.

All that on top of just naturally being fucking shit, there's no way he's ever been up to the kind of standard we need, nor will he ever be.

It doesn't seem real that he's played over 150 games for us. His ability and commitment levels should mean that he'd have been extremely lucky to get a tenth of that.

I genuinely think we ruined Doyle in the end. He wasn't just good in that year either, he was bloody everywhere!

He recovered in the second half of the next season after a fairly poor first half (by what we had become used to) and from then on he just looked knackered. Began to piss me off in the final couple of seasons with his 'run into the corner and win a throw in' plan, and falling ver at every opportunity.

Doyle was brilliant for us for two seasons in the Premier League so I'll take issue with you on that one. I let Zubar off from being one of the three worst right backs in the clubs history and gave a couple of reason's for doing so. Its hardly that I've picked him for the greatest side or forgiven him for all of his errors.

Doyle was signed on the back of his scoring rate in the premier league at Reading. At the time he was our record signing and he was bought to score. He managed 30 goals in 164 games for us having scored almost double that in 7 fewer games for reading. Just as a compraison the now misfiring Dicko has scored 31 goals in 93 games for us and didnt cost 6 million quid!

As a rough guide you want 20 goals a season from your main striker so

Great striker 1 goal every 2 games (20plus a season)
Good striker 1 goal every 3 games(15 a season)
Average striker 1 every 4 Games (10-12 a season)
Kevin Doyle 1 goal every 5.2 games average 6 a season during his 5 years here

Doyle was signed on the back of his scoring rate in the premier league at Reading. At the time he was our record signing and he was bought to score. He managed 30 goals in 164 games for us having scored almost double that in 7 fewer games for reading. Just as a compraison the now misfiring Dicko has scored 31 goals in 93 games for us and didnt cost 6 million quid!

As a rough guide you want 20 goals a season from your main striker so

Great striker 1 goal every 2 games (20plus a season)
Good striker 1 goal every 3 games(15 a season)
Average striker 1 every 4 Games (10-12 a season)
Kevin Doyle 1 goal every 5.2 games average 6 a season during his 5 years here

That's Kevin 'Steve Bull' Doyle to you. Bloody Saunders.

I couldn't put Zubar in a worst three because he had a couple of stormers sprinkled in with being atrocious most of the time.

Doherty should be allowed to win both fullback slots here.

I genuinely think we ruined Doyle in the end. He wasn't just good in that year either, he was bloody everywhere!

He recovered in the second half of the next season after a fairly poor first half (by what we had become used to) and from then on he just looked knackered. Began to piss me off in the final couple of seasons with his 'run into the corner and win a throw in' plan, and falling ver at every opportunity.

He had a serious enough knee (i think) injury playing for Ireland around February/March time of his 2nd season causing much panic on here and elsewhere, we rushed him back for the last couple of games and after that he was never the same.

He obviously had one too many cheeseburgers that season.

Should have bawled at his missus and chucked his tea up the wall.

The more Saunders memories, the more chance of him winning at the end so keep 'em coming. I already know he's getting my vote. Which will shock you all, I know.

Big Oleg is one of my biggest disappointments. Always been dependable enough for Arsenal as RB/CH backup. MOTM in the FA Cup final in 2003, rightly so as well. If the E&S hadn't nuked their boards from back in the day, the Internet would probably have permanent proof of me calling it a superb signing.

Turns up, plays like he's 58. The chasing he got vs West Ham in the cup from Etherington was frightening. So much so that we switched him to LB after 20 minutes I think! Whereupon Marlon Harewood beasted him. Christ. Hooked at HT.

Irwin was done when we signed him, even more so a year later, was never really any good for us but he still looked like a whippet compared to Oleg.

Oleg's problem was he wasn't in the starting XI and was at an age where you lose match fitness if you're not playing. He seemed a great signing as the season before he played 30 odd games for Arsenal and could potentially cover RB and CH. Sadly by the time he was needed he was about as mobile as an asthmatic sloth.

not that he deserves to be in the three, but one of my "favourite" bad right back moments was a Geoff Palmer gaffe at home to villa. for anyone old enough it was the game in which Tony Morley crocked Peter Daniel and the ref made our Pete play on for a bit with what turned out to be a broken leg. it was seriously painful enough for us watching him try to walk, never mind how he must have been feeling. anyway, villa had hoofed a ball towards noone in particular and Geoff under no pressure whatsoever decided he could hook it back to Bradshaw. I think it ended up as a straight and glorious volley into the top corner but perhaps my memory is over-egging it. whatever, an inexplicable piece of defending. i think we lost 3-0.

Matt Doherty
Dariusz Kubicki
Maurice Ross

Ashley - cost + hype + ability makes him my first choice
Zubar
Blades - hated him and I think competition at centre half is going to be intense.

Simkin cost about 10k from Blakenhall and had a good game on his debut so for that reason I'm out.

Matt Doherty - displayed the defensive ability of a traffic cone at LB but at least he got forward and made a nuisance of himself from there. He was just a bombscare at RB, plain and simple.

Oleg Luzhny - in the De Vries category for me. Expected big things from Oleg, instead he played like he had one leg.

Dariusz Kubicki - shite.

Wasn't going to bother participating in this one as really didn't get to see that much from 1977 - 2005 so missed most of the worst I suspect

Still now I have logged on I may as well

Zubar - exciting on very odd occasions, but pointless as a full back
Doherty - putting him this side as he's even worse as a RB than on the left
Luzhny - saw him once, he may not have been the worst but I never saw them play

Back