• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Definitive TWF Worst Wolves XI Thread

Luzhny
Ashley
Kubicki

Big Oleg is one of my biggest disappointments. Always been dependable enough for Arsenal as RB/CH backup. MOTM in the FA Cup final in 2003, rightly so as well. If the E&S hadn't nuked their boards from back in the day, the Internet would probably have permanent proof of me calling it a superb signing.

Turns up, plays like he's 58. The chasing he got vs West Ham in the cup from Etherington was frightening. So much so that we switched him to LB after 20 minutes I think! Whereupon Marlon Harewood beasted him. Christ. Hooked at HT.

Irwin was done when we signed him, even more so a year later, was never really any good for us but he still looked like a whippet compared to Oleg.

Luzhny
Doherty
Ashley

Anyone who thinks its a good idea to save Doherty for left back rather than sticking him at right back should remember that his performances improved on the left hand side!

Just looked up the report of that West Ham game.

With his side heading out of the competition, Wolves boss Dave Jones threw on striker Clarke in place of Kenny Miller just before the hour mark.

The youngster almost made an immediate impact when he rose highest to head Mark Kennedy's cross over the bar.

Clarke then missed a simple opportunity to score.

After Ganea beat the offside trap and saw his shot saved by Bywater, Clarke had the easy task of tucking away the rebound but steered the ball wide of an unguarded goal.

Oh Leon. You know, I'd forgotten all about that too. That's what probably deep seated my hatred of him. I saw him miss two other virtual open goals at the start of the next season as well.

Poor Oleg. Lobanovskyi - Wenger - Jones. Never stood a chance. :icon_lol:

Luzhny
Doherty
Ashley

Anyone who thinks its a good idea to save Doherty for left back rather than sticking him at right back should remember that his performances improved on the left hand side!

Less competition out there innit. Naylor played there for years and despite the cries of the South Bank, he was alright. Thommo before that and people think he was good for some reason.

He's more likely to win at LB, although I'm still torn whether he actually will be #1 for me. It's a 50:50 shout.

Less competition out there innit. Naylor played there for years and despite the cries of the South Bank, he was alright. Thommo before that and people think he was good for some reason.

He's more likely to win at LB, although I'm still torn whether he actually will be #1 for me. It's a 50:50 shout.

Super Mo?

Matt Doherty

Dariusz Kubicki

Maurice Ross

Paul Blades
Kevin Ashley
Maurice Ross

I couldn't stand Paul Blades. The three I've chosen were comfortably worse than Matty D in my opinion.

Luzhny
Doherty
Zubar

Zubes nudges in ahead of Simkin & Ashley for 3rd spot due to my failing memory. I remember that they were shite but that's about it. Plus Zubar deserves it for that Bolton goal.

I'm guessing as nobody has voted for him yet, Halford is not being classed as a right back for the purposes of this?

I'm guessing as nobody has voted for him yet, Halford is not being classed as a right back for the purposes of this?

Only really ever played at RM for us. Stears was at RB for the mercifully brief period that Quadbike Greg got games for us (what a right hand side that is)

Luzhny
Doherty
Zubar

Zubes nudges in ahead of Simkin & Ashley for 3rd spot due to my failing memory. I remember that they were shite but that's about it. Plus Zubar deserves it for that Bolton goal.

Zubar stays out of my thinking as he was part of the defence that helped us stay in the Premier league and scored a couple of crackers. I can never find the Carlos Alberto copy vs West Ham but the one attached, a last minute cup equaliser, wouldn't have been seen by many home fans.

His goal at West Ham was ace but that back pass at Bolton will haunt me for a long time...

While some of those mentioned may not have been very good, they were brilliant compared to the Sunday league standard players we put out in the dark days.

Darren Oldroyd really was a dreadful footballer, and most self respecting pub teams would have turned their backs on him.

Back