• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Definitive TWF Worst Wolves XI Thread

Struggling here. I'll just input when someone comes to mind for whatever position :hmmm:

Think Alan Boswell, and if you can't remember him then take my word for it. He was by some distance the worst goalkeeper I have ever seen in our colours.

Hansbury
Beasant
Lange

Hansbury and Beasant were so awful we looked capable of conceding at any time. Lange was dreadful although I remember his debut against Moscow Dynamo where he was immense.

Surprised we've had no mention of Andy "one game, conceded five" Marshall so far. Or maybe I'm just embittered that I went all the way to Highbury, saw the teamsheets, thought we had a chance as they were sending out quite a lot of kids (some joker called Fabregas...never heard of him guv) and then watched us get absolutely battered.

Great goal by Alex Rae though.

There's got to be some absolute filth going back to when we were in the lower divs. Bet it'll be hard for you lot to remember - or maybe not! This thread will show it ha.

There's got to be some absolute filth going back to when we were in the lower divs. Bet it'll be hard for you lot to remember - or maybe not! This thread will show it ha.

Pick almost anyone from the dark days. My goodness we had players then who would have been rejected by a Sunday league pub team.

Paul Jones
Stefan Postma
Wayne Hennessey, purely for acting how he did near the end of his time.

Bit perplexed by Stack getting a few votes. He played less than 5 games IIRC and wasn't exactly calamatous?

He was brought back at the end of the title winning season by McCarthy purely for the fact he's a total nutcase and good for morale.

Didn't he hit the bar in the crossbar challenge as well?

As Tony said on the other thread - in some instances it would be unfair. We had bugger all money and were having to grab players from amateur clubs round the local area. If you stick some random guy from the seventh tier into professional football then what do you expect?

If you were to ask for the worst team I've ever seen purely on ability, it would be quite a lot different to the one I'm going to end up picking here. Because a lot of the time, you can forgive someone for being rubbish. It isn't their fault. It isn't their fault they keep getting picked either. Doesn't mean I like them and certainly doesn't make them immune from criticism (or indeed, immune from inclusion in this team), but you can only work with the tools you've got. For that reason, I hated it when people were needlessly horrible about Neill Collins, especially when he was out of position. It's when they don't try that it really boils my piss. Hence why I hate a certain left back.

Just on ability then Budtz or McCarey are probably the worst keepers I've ever seen in first team football for Wolves, clearly only in due to an emergency of sorts and had no real business playing for us, the rest of their careers suggest that they were promoted way beyond their level when they put our shirt on. Lonergan on the other hand has played about 400 games at this level. He's doubtless had some good games. He even saved us a couple of points last season vs Forest. But everything else about him pisses me off so much that he's going at #1. Budtz might have been a L2 keeper who somehow got a short term gig here, but I doubt he'd have conceded a goal like Brighton's opener down here, incredibly bad.

Andy Lonergan - cant kick, biscuit wrists, no command of his area complete disappointment
Mick Kearns- Couldnt catch a cold
Paul Jones 2nd spell- hopeless.

Hansbury doesnt get in as he had been at Cambridge and done ok mid 80's and as we now have ( probably) 2 ex cambridge keepers just joined or about to join I am not going to jinx it!

No way are you allowed Kearns. His penalty save against the shit at the Toilet Bowl exempts him from all crticism

Surprised we've had no mention of Andy "one game, conceded five" Marshall so far. Or maybe I'm just embittered that I went all the way to Highbury, saw the teamsheets, thought we had a chance as they were sending out quite a lot of kids (some joker called Fabregas...never heard of him guv) and then watched us get absolutely battered.

We want six, we want six.

Ha, I went to that game. I thought the same thing, got quite excited pre match along with my Dad and brother and then Aliadiere and co tore us apart. Kanu came on I think and did an outrageous bit of skill.

I missed Rae's goal as I was too small when everyone stood up and couldn't see anything...

Alan Boswell - by a country mile
Tony Lange
Roger Hansbury

Alan Boswell last played for Wolves in 1968 - are we restricted to players from 1970 onwards ?

But I do agree re Boswell - I still remember the game against Liverpool when we lost 6-0 at home !

Alan Boswell last played for Wolves in 1968 - are we restricted to players from 1970 onwards ?

But I do agree re Boswell - I still remember the game against Liverpool when we lost 6-0 at home !

I remember us losing 6-0 at home to Southampton with a certain Matt Murray in goal IIRC? 11 years ago now

I remember it well. Alun Evans who we had sold to them for £100,000 at the time. I think a record for a teenager then came back and scored 2. Perhaps this started the story of players we sold always scoring against us :nod:

This question was answered earlier in the day by Deutsch...No timeframe on these selections

Thanks I must have missed that.

Alan Boswell - by a country mile . . . again . . . and some
Roger Hansbury
Tony Lange

I'm sure the Liverpool was his last game . . . what was even sadder if was the final nail in the coffin for Ronnie Allen.

I was only 7 when I saw the game but it's still in the memory vault, especially as my Dad was a lifelong Liverpool supporter and he felt for me having to witness such a shambles. I wasn't that upset after the game as it was just jaw-dropping that a keeper could be that hopeless in the top division - I remember on the way home telling my Dad that I know I could have easily done better, although he did like to remind me that I would have struggled with corners and crosses !

Andy Lonergan - 52
Paul Jones - 36
Tony Lange - 30
Dave Beasant - 20
Roger Hansbury - 15
Alan Boswell - 12
Stefan Postma - 4
Mick Kearns, Graham Stack, Jan Budtz, Dorus de Vries - all 2
Vince Bartram, Hans Segers, Wayne Hennessey - all 1

Right backs next. Three picks.

Tough competition here.

Kevin Ashley
Ronald Zubar
Mark Rankine

I'm saving the beardy twat for LB, he is of course a candidate here. The more votes he gets, the better.

I could easily have had those three in any order, horrific the lot of them.

Back