• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Cricket Thread

ECB are planning to host NFL owners with the aim of getting them to invest in the hundred. They have asked similar questions of IPL owners.

I'm surprised at the timing as they are still going to need to come to terms with changing their brand spangling new format back to the T20 that they thought it would supplant.

Investment would be a good thing though, but I would imagine the investors they are targeting are going to want games in either the States or India. I can guarantee IPL investors will want hundred games starting very late to hit the prime Indian times.
Playing the competition in a different continent, with different teams, at a different time of year and shown on a platform I can’t watch is a compromise I’d encourage them to consider.

The Hundred off to a superb start as Birmingham (they can call themselves that in a made up tournament for all I care, give Warwickshire their name back in the one you don't care about) are 10/4.

I saw Sky advertising it as the battle between S Curran and Moeen. Yes, that's exactly what the tournament was sold to us on when they hijacked the domestic game to bring it in

I love Mo as a person and have been one of his biggest champions over the years for England, but it's desperate stuff if they're bigging him up as a star. Would be like Derby trying to sell Rooney as a big deal when he went there as a player. He's done.

I love Mo as a person and have been one of his biggest champions over the years for England, but it's desperate stuff if they're bigging him up as a star. Would be like Derby trying to sell Rooney as a big deal when he went there as a player. He's done.
Tin hat on but he did score a ton in the T20 last Friday.
I agree with the broader though as the overseas talent in it is piss poor and even Englands fringe players have limited chances to play in it.

Mott OUT according to The Times.

A forum 'joke' nobody has ever engaged with will die

They asked Morgan about him taking the job before the Birmingham innings, he's ruled himself out

I don’t mind it to be honest, then again I’m no traditionalist when it comes to cricket in that I prefer the short game.
It’ll be my night time viewing until the football starts again.

I don’t mind it to be honest, then again I’m no traditionalist when it comes to cricket in that I prefer the short game.
It’ll be my night time viewing until the football starts again.
It's never been about that. It's about everything else it compromises, the false promises, the bullying of the smaller counties and the wider impact it has on the domestic and therefore International game

It's never been about that. It's about everything else it compromises, the false promises, the bullying of the smaller counties and the wider impact it has on the domestic and therefore International game
Ain’t really into the politics behind it, just enjoy the spectacle, if that makes me a bit of a twat, so be it.

It doesn't make you a twat, but you'd be watching a T20 game tonight as you would have done 5 years ago without any of the wider disruption which has been for nothing. The product wouldn't have been worse and the players would have been broadly similar

Understand that, I was always happy watching the T20, a market has been coined though whether that’s right or wrong, my Wife, no big cricket fan, enjoys it and my eldest who’s never been into cricket watches it occasionally.

Understand that, I was always happy watching the T20, a market has been coined though whether that’s right or wrong, my Wife, no big cricket fan, enjoys it and my eldest who’s never been into cricket watches it occasionally.
This is the bit I don't get.

Why would someone [your wife and son in this instance] start watching a game that is in two innings of 100 balls but never watched/watches a game or have any interest in a game where they play two innings of 120 balls? I'm sure it's not because Surrey are call the Oval Invincibles, as it's highly unlikely someone who's never watched cricket before has any idea what the Oval is or where it is etc.

Serious question as I don't understand how or why the Hundred is attracting an audience that the T20 Blast couldn't.

Why would someone [your wife and son in this instance] start watching a game that is in two innings of 100 balls but never watched/watches a game or have any interest in a game where they play two innings of 120 balls? I'm sure it's not because Surrey are call the Oval Invincibles, as it's highly unlikely someone who's never watched cricket before has any idea what the Oval is or where it is etc.

Serious question as I don't understand how or why the Hundred is attracting an audience that the T20 Blast couldn't.
Because its free to watch on terrestrial TV?

Probably because it ain’t the Long room at Lords.

Back