• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Cricket Thread

8th highest ever chase if they do it

Chases1.png

Root should catch Dravid and possibly Sangakkara on this list at some point, Ponting may be a bit of a stretch

Hundreds1.png

Very good from Root. Very impressed with the way he went about that knock and that is exactly how he should play. Hated the reverse sweep after he got his ton though but when you have a 100 to your name, it is forgivable. Also very happy for Brook. He needed that. So the job of whitling the Windies out is underway. Good start for them then three quick wickets makes it 74-3 with Brathwaite just out. Good stuff from Woakes.

My oh my... 82-5 ...epic collapse by the top order... 61-0 at one point.

Remarkable win for England. WIndies collapse to 143 all out. Brilliant bowling performance after the WIndies openers made a promising start.

Pope getting MOTM is weird. Five centuries in the match and his was the worst by a mile

Great days cricket, final session was brilliant. You could see them collapsing once they lost the first.

Very warm, and I'm a lovely shade of pink.

First time at Trent Bridge, much prefer it to Edgbaston

Christ no, the location is better, the wicket, outground, facilties or pissed up atmosphere if that's your thing, no chance.

I've been to all the traditional 6 Test grounds apart from the Oval. You can't really compare Lords it is what it is after that Headingley, Edgbaston, Trent Bridge, Old Trafford imo

Location was better, easy to get in and out of, much more variety in food and drinks on offer, live music outside during the lunch break. Different strokes I suppose.

Lords is on the list to do, have been there for a tour bur never watched a game there

I like Lord's but it's a bloody expensive day with the pubs round there

Tbf I've liked all the Test grounds I've been to since we revamped them all. Old Trafford was shite when I lived in Manc but I've been back since and it's nice now.

Rose Bowl is a bit middle of nowhere which counts against it and never been to Chester-le-Street or Sophia Gardens.

Christ no, the location is better, the wicket, outground, facilties or pissed up atmosphere if that's your thing, no chance.

I've been to all the traditional 6 Test grounds apart from the Oval. You can't really compare Lords it is what it is after that Headingley, Edgbaston, Trent Bridge, Old Trafford imo
Just catching up with the thread. Same as you, I've been to them all except The Oval and I concur with your rankings.
Headingley is great, I was so lucky to be there the day we beat the Aussies with Stokes and Leach winning the game. Best atmosphere and day of any sporting events I've been to, doubt that will ever be surpassed for me.
Over at Edgbaston next Friday, cant wait. All I ask is for good weather!!

Just catching up with the thread. Same as you, I've been to them all except The Oval and I concur with your rankings.
Headingley is great, I was so lucky to be there the day we beat the Aussies with Stokes and Leach winning the game. Best atmosphere and day of any sporting events I've been to, doubt that will ever be surpassed for me.
Over at Edgbaston next Friday, cant wait. All I ask is for good weather!!
Yes, also more or less agree with the ground rankings.

Love Headingley, especially the view and facilities in the new rugby ground end.
I’d have the Oval in next. Does feel like the action is miles away no matter where you are sitting as it’s so expansive, but… big city / ground feel, great food and bar options, had a real good time when I took my son for his first game (India v Aus - superb curry on offer), they’ve done some cool stuff with the screening of the Vauxhall End. Easy access by public transport too.
Edgbaston always been great though, probably my fault, I’ve always found it a drag to get to / from. Likely improved now and I’d love to go back.
Old Trafford I’ve got a soft spot for so won’t see it in last position. Been a while since I’ve been there, in fact the square was still pointing the other way. Last day I attended was most memorable for seeing Peter Such complete six wickets for England in the morning. Some fat kid bowled another fat bloke in the afternoon but I forget who…
Trent Bridge I was very much looking forward to based on numerous good reviews in general and a positive local rep where I now live (Agnew country). It was nice, but a bit disappointing. No big ground feel, all a bit polite, some stands ‘below’ the pitch and laid out in a way the kills the atmosphere. Likely an unfair review based on one trip! It’s in West Bridgeford not the centre, although Nottingham city is also overrated in general anyway.
I’m not counting Durham and Cardiff as real test grounds, though I’ve done a few games at the former and it’s a nice set up, but lacking the location of a proper ground. I preferred Durham when they played at Feethams and the football crowd had to walk round the boundary to get to the game. My Dad once diverted us from an A1 journey home to see Durham win a county game here - with time running out Tim Boon took the last few wickets. This actually happened and passed for high excitement in the pre T20 era I still live in.
The Rose Bowl - no thanks.

IMG-1409.jpg

Results have broadly speaking been good, 2-2 is probably a fair enough reflection of where we and Aus are (in English conditions, not in Aus) and India beat everyone at home. We've beaten everyone else bar NZ away (1-1), which would have been a 1-0 or 2-0 series win if not for a scandalous non-call of a wide by the umpire.

a402b984fbd513c648e2e2d753ca7392dd559d4f

Root should catch Dravid and possibly Sangakkara on this list at some point, Ponting may be a bit of a stretch

View attachment 11147
I read that if England play the same number of Tests as they have in the last 4 years and he scores at the same rate per game as he has so far in his career, which I think was low 80s, then he overtakes Tendulkar in 4 years which would make him 37. Unlikely, but not impossible

ECB are planning to host NFL owners with the aim of getting them to invest in the hundred. They have asked similar questions of IPL owners.

I'm surprised at the timing as they are still going to need to come to terms with changing their brand spangling new format back to the T20 that they thought it would supplant.

Investment would be a good thing though, but I would imagine the investors they are targeting are going to want games in either the States or India. I can guarantee IPL investors will want hundred games starting very late to hit the prime Indian times.

Back