• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Cricket Thread

Out and about, not seen any of it today just a frustrating player.
Run out at the non-striker's end, no blame attached.

He's actually been very consistent over the last 18 months or so. Pope is more your feast or famine man.

Unlucky for Crawley but Duckett and Pope are playing sensibly. The worry is how Roop and Brooks bat when they come in depending on the circumstances. AS DW says, we need at least 300 lead and if we play properly we should get it with still enough time to give us a last day chance of winning. Hopefully the rain stays away.

Run out at the non-striker's end, no blame attached.

He's actually been very consistent over the last 18 months or so. Pope is more your feast or famine man.
You think...
Pope 78 Innings. 5 hundreds 12 x 50's in 44 games. Av. 34.35
Crawley 83 Innings. 4 hundreds and 15 x 50's in 45 games. Av. 33.17

Very similar I'd say.

18 months or so I said. So back to Pakistan away in Dec 2022. Crawley averages 40 since then. Only a couple of hundreds but he regularly gets a score and at a good rate.

Pope averages 45 in the same period BUT it's inflated by a 205 and a 196 and he gets out for <20 far more regularly. He had a run of 3, 0, 0, 11 and 19 in India in February/March just for a start.

Crawley also top scored for us in the Ashes last year (by a fair bit too) with an average of 53, Pope averaged 22 (albeit only from two games).

Strange argument when a man gets 205 and 196 and it counts against him. ;)

Pope always looks a bit dodgy early on, kind of the opposite of Root who generally looks set almost straight away.

Not when the argument is "he tends to either get loads or not very many" :D

Crawley's innings in that period: 122, 50, 19, 3, 0, 41, 4, 28, 2, 24, 56, 12*, 61, 7, 48, 3, 33, 44, 189, 22, 73, 20, 31, 76, 73, 15, 11, 42, 60, 79, 0, 76, 0, 3

Pope's innings in that period: 108, 15, 60, 4, 51, 42, 49, 10, 14, 205, 31, 14, 42, 3, 1, 196, 23, 23, 39, 3, 0, 0, 11, 19, 57, 121, 48*

Crawley goes to 50 and a bit beyond far more often but hasn't been converting too many.

Pope fails more regularly but has been better at going big once he does get in.

Happy to put you to work... ;)Still not a lot of difference in my book. :cool:

On another note... I'm enjoying Stuart Broad's commentary.

Here we go...change of ball after the water break and Pope goes first ball.... then Duckett decides to take a swipe the over after... just 90 ahead... please don't throw wickets away now...

Good ball does for Duckett... England will win or lose the game with the Root / Brook partnership.

Good 100+ partnership between Root and Brook. Root batting within himself and recognising the game situation. Brook a little more reckless with some premeditated shots but got away with it. Another 150 to 175 tomorrow for England and then get the Windies in later in the afternoon session seems to be the order of the day.

207 in front at stumps and Root and Brook playing *gasp* fairly normally.

It's pretty benign out there so I'm thinking we now need a 350 lead minimum, there's not much there to work with, particularly if it's sunny tomorrow.

Fairly boring day of cricket but a good atmosphere after the tea break made up for it

Did enjoy Seales throwing a strop near the end because Brook kept trying to late cut him.

You've got match figures of 27-2-152-2 lad, pipe down a bit and stop bowling shite.

Excellent partnership between Root and Brook and I said yesterday that would be a deciding factor as to how England do in this test. Very happy to see them batting sensibly and accumulating the runs needed. I think a declaration with a lead of around 375 is going to be a tough ask, so at effectively 288-4, we're probably in for an hour or so after lunch and then get at them.

Free tickets available tomorrow (have to claim them online first)

Root gets his 32nd Test hundred, 345 in front...if we get another 40-50 on the board then I think that's too many for the Windies to get.

Root needs 23 more (on 113 now) to go past Brian Lara today

He'll need another 14 at Edgbaston to do it

378 in front, two wickets left

Back