• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Cricket Thread

Should be two down, didn't review an lbw off Bashir, it was out

Oh dear McKenzie. What a shot to play right before lunch.

Kind of pitch perfect where you only really get yourself out. Test of concentration and patience on both sides

Good response from WIndies to losing those three wickets. They have some fight in them as they showed v the Aussies.

Good for my chances of seeing a full day tomorrow

and maybe some day 4 cricket for @Trips

Well done WIndies... excellent performance ...overall a day England needed to keep them honest. We left runs on the board and now the Windies are making a game out of it. Good stuff and what Test cricket is all about.

It doesn't have to be that extreme, you can play attacking cricket, without kamikaze shots and giving your wicket away. That's the thing with Bazball it's cultish people feel they need to defend it or put stupid Boycott comparisons up. 550ish and declaring at tea on Day 2 has their players out in the field for the best part of 2 days, another 150ish runs on the board and 10 sessions to bowl them out twice, or score a quick 100 if preferred between their 2 innings.

It doesn't have to be that extreme, you can play attacking cricket, without kamikaze shots and giving your wicket away. That's the thing with Bazball it's cultish people feel they need to defend it or put stupid Boycott comparisons up. 550ish and declaring at tea on Day 2 has their players out in the field for the best part of 2 days, another 150ish runs on the board and 10 sessions to bowl them out twice, or score a quick 100 if preferred between their 2 innings.
Agree, you can play attacking cricket without being silly about it.
Besides which, if it goes to 5 days, the opposition will be batting last on a generally worn, poorer track.
I was wondering after the first test, what the implications were for revenue? All the refunded tickets, sales inside the ground, TV coverage/advertising etc.
The financial implications must be massive.

Agree, you can play attacking cricket without being silly about it.
Besides which, if it goes to 5 days, the opposition will be batting last on a generally worn, poorer track.
I was wondering after the first test, what the implications were for revenue? All the refunded tickets, sales inside the ground, TV coverage/advertising etc.
The financial implications must be massive.
They insure themselves against that or at least the ticket revenue element of it, that's the responsibility of the county who holds the fixture, although premiums must be rocketing.

From memory the major reason Durham went practically bust was because they were paying the ECB to hold Tests in May which were either rained off or over quickly due to the conditions in Northern England at that time of year. It's the county who lose out, not the ECB, although I don't know what the TV implications are if any.

They insure themselves against that or at least the ticket revenue element of it, that's the responsibility of the county who holds the fixture, although premiums must be rocketing.

From memory the major reason Durham went practically bust was because they were paying the ECB to hold Tests in May which were either rained off or over quickly due to the conditions in Northern England at that time of year.
Ah, right. 👍

Must affect local shops, pubs, bus services etc as well. Not that that effects the ECB obviously.
Apologies for going a bit off track here..🤔

Obviously a complete day missing because of an early finish is damaging, but a day lost to rain, but with the hope of play, or a lunchtime finish is a massive boost to the local pubs. I went to Headingley once when there was no play until 2.30 and the pubs were heaving from breakfast time until 2pm.

From memory the major reason Durham went practically bust was because they were paying the ECB to hold Tests in May which were either rained off or over quickly due to the conditions in Northern England at that time of year. It's the county who lose out, not the ECB, although I don't know what the TV implications are if any.

Another reason was they held England players on long term deals...and they all lost their central contracts at around the same time (Collingwood, Harmison and Onions). So Durham went overnight from paying 0% of their hefty salary to 100%.

Back