• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

If true regardless of policy it doesn't make for a good situation when you have the board and head coach of a different opinion.

I struggle to buy it as:

a) Who exactly is leaking that news

b) As stated, our transfer policy has been pretty consistent for all of Morgan's time here. Jackett arrived with the same exact brief and working conditions that he has now

c) The transfer window is closed so are we really saying that Morgan/Moxey/Thelwell/a combination of the three are blocking Kenny Jackett from signing players on loan due to their age?

I'd agree with you if we are looking only internally.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was an agent who leaked this as one of his clients are looking for a move and Wolves have flatly refused him an audience. Whether this makes the story true or not isn't entirely clear.

I agree with that, we need older players with experience to get stability if we wanna challenge for promotion..have said it before

Talent trumps experience, needing to bring in older heads is nonsense.

No, you need a good mix to be competitive

If we can go out and sign three 28-32 year olds who fit within the club's transfer and wage budget, who are willing to play for a club milling around in the middle of the Championship, who will obviously improve the starting XI immediately and are demonstrably better than younger alternatives, along with not being in a physical state where their ability is going to fall off a cliff well before the end of their contract, then great. I don't think the club would be averse to signing such players anyway. They're quite clearly going to be in pretty short supply.

Just signing players because their birth certificate says 1986 rather than 1993 would be a load of nonsense.

If we can go out and sign three 28-32 year olds who fit within the club's transfer and wage budget, who are willing to play for a club milling around in the middle of the Championship, who will obviously improve the starting XI immediately and are demonstrably better than younger alternatives, along with not being in a physical state where their ability is going to fall off a cliff well before the end of their contract, then great. I don't think the club would be averse to signing such players anyway. They're quite clearly going to be in pretty short supply.

Just signing players because their birth certificate says 1986 rather than 1993 would be a load of nonsense.

You know I want extra nouse here and have crapped on about it for a while. It adds depth and gives a positive influence in general terms. The issues however I feel lie in the areas I have highlighted.
My view is that we are a bit too bloody tight and therefore lack the ambition to build a squad capable of a consistent promotion challenge in this era. Not paying enough and not willing to change the policies= mid table expectations at best

No, you need a good mix to be competitive

agree with this and would add you need that in depth across a 25 man squad. Dicko injury has stuffed us two seasons on the trot and really should not have had an impact such as this. Having only 2 tried and tested strikers in the squad is madness especially as one is borrowed! I know the club want to be self sufficient but I would say be self sufficient when you get to the premier league. There is about 138 million difference in money for a championship side to a premier side so a bit of speculation would not have been a bad thing ( please see other posts on the purchases of O Hara Johnson, Fletcher and Doyle) to build on last years achievements effectively. We are now going backwards and at best look like wasting 2015-16 at worst losing KJ for a variety of reasons INCLUDING the transfer policy.

No chance, his wages must be magnitudes higher than our average.

Exactly what I was thinking. Monaco > Newcastle > Wolves in less than a year? Not a chance.

Supposedly on 40k a week, that must be at least double what our highest earners make now that Sako is gone.

Supposedly on 40k a week, that must be at least double what our highest earners make now that Sako is gone.

I'd say our highest earners right now would be McDonald & Dicko. I doubt they're making more than £15K.

Yep, only way we'd get him is if Newcastle we desperate to be rid and were willing to pay half his salary during the loan.

In other words, not fucking likely.

Back