• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

We were linked with him a while back, I'd be happy with that

Is he not playing much at Charlton? Looked awesome at the start of last season.

He's alright, but I don't really know when we'd ever play him unless we had an injury. He isn't as good as Afobe or Alfie.

He's alright, but I don't really know when we'd ever play him unless we had an injury. He isn't as good as Afobe or Alfie.

Better in the air than either of them though.

11 goals 9 assists in a poor team last season, not too shabby. Think he spent a while out injured as well.

I worry when we sign a striker who is 'good in the air'. Because we normally do what we did with Iwan Roberts or Chris Iwelumo (after the first three months), we lamp the ball three foot above their heads and play percentage football, and it never works. I've been watching football for nearly 30 years and literally the only two strikers I've ever seen be any good with that kind of service are Niall Quinn and Duncan Ferguson. Ever, in the world.

If we got an injury he'd be a good short term signing. If we want to protect against that and have him there just in case (while it would limit Bright's development), then ok I suppose. He doesn't get near our best XI though and I would always push for any new signings actively improving us, not just squad fillers.

I worry when we sign a striker who is 'good in the air'. Because we normally do what we did with Iwan Roberts or Chris Iwelumo (after the first three months), we lamp the ball three foot above their heads and play percentage football, and it never works. I've been watching football for nearly 30 years and literally the only two strikers I've ever seen be any good with that kind of service are Niall Quinn and Duncan Ferguson. Ever, in the world.

If we got an injury he'd be a good short term signing. If we want to protect against that and have him there just in case (while it would limit Bright's development), then ok I suppose. He doesn't get near our best XI though and I would always push for any new signings actively improving us, not just squad fillers.

He's not a lump though, he's 5ft 8in. He's just really good at scoring headed goals from corners/crosses.

We've already had an injury, I think he'd bring the same sort of qualities that Dicko brought to the team (obviously not as good). Strong, low centre of gravity, fast, leads the line.

CopenhagenWolf would probably be best placed to comment if he still logs on.

Didn't cause us any problems whatsoever when Charlton came down. But I don't know much about him really

Is he in the Charton side? If so, why would they send him to us? And if not, why not?

Is he in the Charton side? If so, why would they send him to us? And if not, why not?

To answer my own question, I've just looked - and he appears to be struggling to get in the Charlton side.

If we can go out and sign three 28-32 year olds who fit within the club's transfer and wage budget, who are willing to play for a club milling around in the middle of the Championship, who will obviously improve the starting XI immediately and are demonstrably better than younger alternatives, along with not being in a physical state where their ability is going to fall off a cliff well before the end of their contract, then great. I don't think the club would be averse to signing such players anyway. They're quite clearly going to be in pretty short supply.

Just signing players because their birth certificate says 1986 rather than 1993 would be a load of nonsense.

How about Richard Stearman at Fulham. Doesn't he meet all those requirements? ;)

He's had an injury and he missed pre season I think. When Charlton came to us he'd just got back from injury. their tall forward got injured after 5 minutes and he was thrown in, posed little problems.

At the Valley last season he caused us all sorts of problems if I remember right

I’d add Andy Carroll to those two, but agree with the general point that a big lump acts to nullify any creativity from the rest of the team.

Carroll's performance against us at Molineux in our second Prem season was tremendous, totally bullied Craddock that day. They were hitting him with high, but not necessarily long balls, mainly from Barton on the right as I remember. In his younger days Zamora was always really powerful, I remember he used to get the better of Lescott when they use to play against each other. Now just a lump though

Alex pritchard out til new year with injury - someone we could go for in January on loan?

A front four of Pritchard - Afobe - Henry - Alfie would be pretty swish, Byrne, Wallace and Ojo all to back up.

May as well bring the CH discussion here too. Milos Veljkovic of Spurs would be my choice. Quality footballer and can cover DM as well.

Carroll's performance against us at Molineux in our second Prem season was tremendous, totally bullied Craddock that day. They were hitting him with high, but not necessarily long balls, mainly from Barton on the right as I remember. In his younger days Zamora was always really powerful, I remember he used to get the better of Lescott when they use to play against each other. Now just a lump though

Berra marked him for the first 20 minutes and didn’t get anywhere near winning a header. Craddock picked him up then and whilst he struggled he at least managed to put Carroll off a little. Shame Carroll is so injury prone as when fit he is a real handful.

I don't think we'll sign anyone unless Hause or Batth get injured or suspended. We'll try and wing it with Doherty and Coady on the bench

Don't see why we'd want another holding midfielder.

Back