• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

I think most people's issue is that if he was an 18 year old from our Academy at that level of development he wouldn't be close to our matchday squad, but because he is on loan from Liverpool he is. Graham ended last season with a lot of hype (I've not seen him play, so don't know), but Ojo is a barrier to him playing, which is all well and good if he's doing well, however thus far other than in patches that's not really been the case

There's only so much patience you can when a player is only going to be around for 12 months, nearly 20% of this time with Wolves has passed already with little to no impact, he's going to need a pretty big uplift in performance, pretty soon to make the move worthwhile.

If he had another 3 years or more on a contract then I'd agree, time would be on his side, but surely with a loan player you're looking for immediate impact to offset the fact that they might not be around for very long?

He's 18 and very highly rated. I don't expect the finished article otherwise he wouldn't be here.

I think most people's issue is that if he was an 18 year old from our Academy at that level of development he wouldn't be close to our matchday squad, but because he is on loan from Liverpool he is. Graham ended last season with a lot of hype (I've not seen him play, so don't know), but Ojo is a barrier to him playing, which is all well and good if he's doing well, however thus far other than in patches that's not really been the case

Ojo is a lot better.

In your opinion, but as Graham hasn't had a chance in the first team I cannot judge

He's 18 and very highly rated. I don't expect the finished article otherwise he wouldn't be here.

I'm not expecting an 18 year old to be the finished article, however, if you're taking a player for the limited of spell of 12 months, or even less with many loans, then they need to be able to get upto speed pretty quickly, otherwise you're wasting a pretty high portion of that loan spell waiting for things to get going. If it's a permanent transfer then you've got more time on your side for that bedding in process to happen without running out of time for the player to make positive contributions to the team.

It's not Ojo's fault if he isn't ready for first team football or not yet akin with what Jackett expects of him, perhaps instead it shows that he was the wrong player for Wolves to go for at the time? They needed an immediate replacement on the left of midfield, yet 2 months into the season they're still waiting for it to arrive.

I'm not expecting an 18 year old to be the finished article, however, if you're taking a player for the limited of spell of 12 months, or even less with many loans, then they need to be able to get upto speed pretty quickly, otherwise you're wasting a pretty high portion of that loan spell waiting for things to get going. If it's a permanent transfer then you've got more time on your side for that bedding in process to happen without running out of time for the player to make positive contributions to the team.

It's not Ojo's fault if he isn't ready for first team football or not yet akin with what Jackett expects of him, perhaps instead it shows that he was the wrong player for Wolves to go for at the time? They needed an immediate replacement on the left of midfield, yet 2 months into the season they're still waiting for it to arrive.

Absolutely. So I wouldn't get on Ojo's back?! Like some are.

I think he could be great for us, but is playing at a difficult time.

Ojo might well be the next Gareth Bale in a few years but hes struggling to adapt right now. Its not doing him any good being in the team right now, he looks scared of his own shadow and its doing nothing for his development.

Absolutely. So I wouldn't get on Ojo's back?! Like some are.

I think he could be great for us, but is playing at a difficult time.

I've not seen anyone really getting on his back, just people saying he isn't ready/good enough yet and are advocating playing others ahead of him, from the point of view of a Wolves fan I think it's perfectly reasonable for them to be somewhat frustrated by the situation anyway, left midfield was the only glaring hole in the team over the summer and the attempt at filling it with some untested 18 year has been pretty pathetic.

Maybe he will come good, but Wolves are fast running out of time for it happen without completely ruining their season. Think it'll be looked back upon as a poor recruitment choice.

In the opinion of those who matter too.
Agreed and I'm not getting on his back, just trying to explain why some don't think he should be in the team. He's an 18 year old kid, but for me PL loan players need to be good enough to improve your team irrespective of their age. At the moment he doesn't

What a bizarre argument. No one is personally attacking Ojo, he's just not very good so shouldn't be in the team.

I also don't know if graham is any good, but I'm pretty sure the only hype has been on here. I'm not sure there's been anything else. People just mention his name as he's the next cab off the rank coming through with regards to wingers.

As mentioned, if your loaning a player in, he needs to be an instant impact. He's been terrible and has shown nothing which would make me feel he should be in the squad. He makes VLP look like Pele and I'd rather play Edwards

In the opinion of those who matter too.

I have said elsewhere that he needs a run of games in the first XI but it MUST be in the 4-2-3-1 formation. He needs to be playing wide left and not coming on in a narrow 4-4-2

What a bizarre argument. No one is personally attacking Ojo, he's just not very good so shouldn't be in the team.

I also don't know if graham is any good, but I'm pretty sure the only hype has been on here. I'm not sure there's been anything else. People just mention his name as he's the next cab off the rank coming through with regards to wingers.

As mentioned, if your loaning a player in, he needs to be an instant impact. He's been terrible and has shown nothing which would make me feel he should be in the squad. He makes VLP look like Pele and I'd rather play Edwards

It's a bizarre argument if you don't look at places other than here. I do. And there are.

I'm still willing to give him a chance as I'm sure there is a good player in there from having seen his highlights from Liverpool U21s. I just want him to look like he has some confidence to actually take a man on and beat him, you know, like wingers are supposed to do. At the moment he still seems a bit timid and nervous and has only been effective in very short bursts rather than having good games entirely.

It's a bizarre argument if you don't look at places other than here. I do. And there are.

When people attack a player it's not personal though. They are just unhappy that a shit player is in the team. Yes they are idiots and they go about it the wrong way (especially if they are sending them abuse on Twitter, that's just moronic) but they are just expressing their dislike at a players lack of ability. It's not as fun if everyone just shouts 'KJ is shit he plays Edwards', 'KJ is shit he plays 442', 'KJ is shit he signed shit players'. When in reality it's true

I have said elsewhere that he needs a run of games in the first XI but it MUST be in the 4-2-3-1 formation. He needs to be playing wide left and not coming on in a narrow 4-4-2

Pool fan on FF said he was better centrally. Not a chalk on his boots winger were his words.

I'm still willing to give him a chance as I'm sure there is a good player in there from having seen his highlights from Liverpool U21s. I just want him to look like he has some confidence to actually take a man on and beat him, you know, like wingers are supposed to do. At the moment he still seems a bit timid and nervous and has only been effective in very short bursts rather than having good games entirely.

I get frustrated when a player with such obvious pace won't take a man on.

Back