• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

Above there is a lot of posts about us being a buy young, sell for profit model. Where's the evidence of this? Jota was out of form and remains the only example, but we could've all made a case for justifying that sale at the time.

I.e. that's not our club's model based on evidence

How will Curone be break even. Absolutely nobody is paying 18m for him in a million years.
We have been getting a few million in loan fees .If we get 10-12m he would break even I believe.

Above there is a lot of posts about us being a buy young, sell for profit model. Where's the evidence of this? Jota was out of form and remains the only example, but we could've all made a case for justifying that sale at the time.

Its not really had time to materialise yet but buy young sell for a profit takes a few seasons. Jota was the first, Neto , Neves, etc will not leave here for less than we paid at 15m and 10m respectively, and now looking like 40m each.

Cutrone's Loan fees from Fiorentina were 3m and a similar amount I believe from Valencia. He may well go for a reduced price this summer , but not a freebie as he is contracted to the summer of 2023.Hence why I thought it could be a break even.

It's the UEFA one he seems worried about, although I'm still not sure it's relevant. We seemed miles clear of the restrictions when it came out last year.
Remember that we got fined by UEFA for breaking FFP for basically going from Championship to Europa League far too quickly. They did recognise that fact by basically fining us two packets of crisps and a Pannini sticker of Neves.

Leicester have made plenty of costly errors too. Slimani, Musa, Praet, Benkovic, Silva, Ward and Perez aren't good business.
Is that Ward the GK Danny Ward? He's cost them a fair bit but is a really good keeper and happy to sit on the bench

Is that Ward the GK Danny Ward? He's cost them a fair bit but is a really good keeper and happy to sit on the bench
It's £12m for a keeper who has played no league games at all for them in three years!

Similarly Benkovic cost £13m. Has never played a league game for them.

It's £12m for a keeper who has played no league games at all for them in three years!

Similarly Benkovic cost £13m. Has never played a league game for them.
I get that, but it's £12m in case Schmeichel breaks. Thankfully for them he hasn't, but he wouldn't have been shit if he needed to play.

It's a £12m insurance policy that you have a good backup keeper.

From the link I posted earlier re Jota. Note it's about the amount received and the profit on what we paid, not the player.

"The transfer fee was an opportunity too good to turn down really. I think any Wolves fan who ever thought we could have sold a player for that amount of money, I think it would have been too good to be true."

"The proof is in the pudding with Diogo, who’s gone to Liverpool – we’ve probably made 30 million profit."

I wouldn't say it's THE model, it is part of it though

Remember that we got fined by UEFA for breaking FFP for basically going from Championship to Europa League far too quickly. They did recognise that fact by basically fining us two packets of crisps and a Pannini sticker of Neves.
Yes, but they gave us stipulations which we had live by for the following 2 seasons. These are what Jeff is referring to - fairly or otherwise

I get that, but it's £12m in case Schmeichel breaks. Thankfully for them he hasn't, but he wouldn't have been shit if he needed to play.

It's a £12m insurance policy that you have a good backup keeper.
I'd be pretty miffed if we ended up spending that much to replace Ruddy.

None of those I listed are/were even qualified successes, and it's way over £100m for the lot.

Just saying they're not the undisputed kings of transfers, they get a fair share wrong like everyone does.

It's the UEFA one he seems worried about, although I'm still not sure it's relevant. We seemed miles clear of the restrictions when it came out last year.

Here's the full piece, the only other thing which stuck out was the doubling down on Fabio with some pretty hyperbolic statements

It makes for interesting reading. Jeff saying he reads the social media negativity, but you have to trust him to make the right calls. Even in some of those questions you can see they were going to change it up. He mentioned coaches in there too.
I'll reserve judgement until we see who they install in fairness. That will tell us everything we need to know about where we are headed.
At least we got to hear some answers to the pressing questions we all had..

None of those I listed are/were even qualified successes, and it's way over £100m for the lot.

Just saying they're not the undisputed kings of transfers, they get a fair share wrong like everyone does.
It's easier to take the failures when you've been knocking on the door of the Champions League for 2 seasons and have just won the FA Cup.

No, I get that. I'm just being pedantic about Ward.

Back