• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

Looks like Spiers got this right

Johnny Phillips: So, the club has had 633 questions, many of them showing a lot of thought, many showing a lot of concern as well, but all hoping for a chance to speak to you, either individually or as a group, so we might as well crack straight on. The main subject was obviously transfer funds, so, Jeff, it feels natural to come to you – many asking will funding and resources be made available to Nuno?

Jeff Shi: The funding is ready of course, it’s ready, but if the question is about whether the owner will spend more money in the club, I think we have some barriers to conquer because the financial fair play is there, especially after we’ve lost so much revenue from the ticketing office and from the stadium, so I think in the next season it will be tough for us to manipulate under the financial fair play rules. I think we have to find a way to update, to upgrade, the squad, but in the meantime to be careful about financial things.

JP: How would you do that, Scott? Does that involve selling to buy? What ways can you upgrade the squad?

Scott Sellars: I think, speaking to a lot of people in football, it’s going to be a different window. I think Covid has affected everybody. I think, certainly, the words we’re going to talk about a lot is being creative, so maybe swaps, maybe loans, which we’ve done very well in the past, loans with obligations, so yes, I think it’s certainly a window where everybody’s working hard to try to find solutions and, as Jeff says, certainly try to support Nuno and help with the squad.

You'd think Jorge would have plenty of really good young players on his books, or know how to get to them. Plus we should be a decent proposition for any youngster on our scouting network. If that's the way we are going to go that is. If they see we buy them and play them like Neto, Silva etc. Then we should be a good sell. Though if you want to be like Dortmund you have to pay through the nose for the best youngsters.
Dortmund regularly qualify for the CL which must be a huge draw to players like Haaland and Sancho.

Looks like Spiers got this right

Johnny Phillips: So, the club has had 633 questions, many of them showing a lot of thought, many showing a lot of concern as well, but all hoping for a chance to speak to you, either individually or as a group, so we might as well crack straight on. The main subject was obviously transfer funds, so, Jeff, it feels natural to come to you – many asking will funding and resources be made available to Nuno?

Jeff Shi: The funding is ready of course, it’s ready, but if the question is about whether the owner will spend more money in the club, I think we have some barriers to conquer because the financial fair play is there, especially after we’ve lost so much revenue from the ticketing office and from the stadium, so I think in the next season it will be tough for us to manipulate under the financial fair play rules. I think we have to find a way to update, to upgrade, the squad, but in the meantime to be careful about financial things.

JP: How would you do that, Scott? Does that involve selling to buy? What ways can you upgrade the squad?

Scott Sellars: I think, speaking to a lot of people in football, it’s going to be a different window. I think Covid has affected everybody. I think, certainly, the words we’re going to talk about a lot is being creative, so maybe swaps, maybe loans, which we’ve done very well in the past, loans with obligations, so yes, I think it’s certainly a window where everybody’s working hard to try to find solutions and, as Jeff says, certainly try to support Nuno and help with the squad.
Has anyone told him that fans know that there is a stop on FFP for the coming season?

I've heard a lot about FFP being stopped for the coming season, anyone know where to find out more about it?

I'm not sure it has been suspended for 2021/22. It might end up being of course.

I thought it was more that they're not reporting it for last season, but will combine the results with next season, rather than it being effectively abolished for a season. If it was, we'd see Citeh spending a billion quid this Summer

That was exactly my first thought, what the fuck is he talking about!? Bullshit!
It's the UEFA one he seems worried about, although I'm still not sure it's relevant. We seemed miles clear of the restrictions when it came out last year.

Here's the full piece, the only other thing which stuck out was the doubling down on Fabio with some pretty hyperbolic statements

Repeating what I said the other day, but the Leicester model only works if you have Chilwell's and Thomas' coming through your Academy system or you are prepared to go to Hull and buy a Harry Maguire. Buying teenagers from abroad for multi million pounds is not that model. Not necessarily wrong, just different
There is that, but they also bought Kante and Mahrez dirt cheap from Europe.

I get the selling Neves thing. But..... we just got rid of a manager because they are not happy with progress. Is it progress to sell one of your best players? Particularly in the case of Neves where we haven't got another midfielder that is even close to what he can bring on the field!
Whatever anyone says it won't convince me that getting rid of Neves is a good idea. It's not like he wants to go anyway. He loves it here.
We have a bunch of players that need replacing, and loan out players who can bring money in. That makes much more sense to me, unless the agenda isn't to progress....

Perez is a weird one. Got his move off the back of playing up front on his own at Newcastle, so Leicester play him out wide.

I may be wrong but Jota, Cavaliero, Costa all turned a profit didn't they? Cutrone may end up being a break even. Neto , Neves, Traore would also turn a profit if sold in the short term as would Podence, incredibly. Its only Moutinho and Patricio who we would lose on if we sold them. Its not buy low sell high but its buy medium sell premium for the most part. Every player has their price in 2021.

I may be wrong but Jota, Cavaliero, Costa all turned a profit didn't they? Cutrone may end up being a break even. Neto , Neves, Traore would also turn a profit if sold in the short term as would Podence, incredibly. Its only Moutinho and Patricio who we would lose on if we sold them. Its not buy low sell high but its buy medium sell premium for the most part. Every player has their price in 2021.
How will Curone be break even. Absolutely nobody is paying 18m for him in a million years.

They did at least confirm in that video that Neves is under contract until 2024. Also the way they spoke about Jota going suggests we’ll sell Neves if a similar fee is offered

Back