• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

Do you think Rui will be off? His missus put a photo of them on their private jet before I'd even got home last night after the match.
Yeah, off on holiday

Do you think Rui will be off? His missus put a photo of them on their private jet before I'd even got home last night after the match.
I reckon he is one of the more likely players to be off, because I think we can replace him with a player of similar quality (maybe even better) without spending a fortune.

You got a link to the post his Mrs put up?

If you wanted a poll of players who wont be here come September there would be a few on the list
1. Willian Jose
2. Patricio
3. Moutinho
4. Saiss

Would be my top 4.

I'd assume he's just flying 'home' for a couple of days before meeting up with the National team.

You got a link to the post his Mrs put up?
It was on her Instagram videos. She's fairly active on there and looks to love life in Wolverhampton. They seem to do more than me golfing, horse riding, tennis.

Seen a picture of Rui at Lisbon Airport today and he still has his Wolves training top on

Judah said he was on the same flight as Fabio so seems fair to assume they've probably all gone

I've said before, getting rid of Rui is a crazy idea.

He's 33, we'd make a huge loss on what we paid, and we have another hole in the team to fill for no reason. Let's say we buy Spiers' narrative that it's going to be more or less zero net spend this summer - well, straight away there, if you want someone of even equal ability (and what would be the point then), you're having to claw back money from somewhere else. They'd have to be one of our good players, so you then create another gap, and so on and so on. We don't have another keeper at the club ready to step up, if we did then I could go along with it. But we don't.

Have a look at Sheffield United for what happens when you downgrade your goalkeeper. Cost them £20m to do that as well.

I've said before, getting rid of Rui is a crazy idea.

He's 33, we'd make a huge loss on what we paid, and we have another hole in the team to fill for no reason. Let's say we buy Spiers' narrative that it's going to more or less zero net spend this summer - well, straight away there, if you want someone of even equal ability (and what would be the point then), you're having to claw back money from somewhere else. They'd have to be one of our good players, so you then create another gap, and so on and so on. We don't have another keeper at the club ready to step up, if we did then I could go along with it. But we don't.

Have a look at Sheffield United for what happens when you downgrade your goalkeeper. Cost them £20m to do that as well.
I fully agree, the problem is i wonder if Moutinho, Rui and Neves have all decided it's time to move on as we start a new "phase".

Also the club may well be looking at the 260k a week in wages they take up.

I would definitely say selling all your good players and downgrading your manager is a new phase, I have other adjectives than "new" to use :D

I don't want mass upheaval. We have enough problems as it is.

I would definitely say selling all your good players and downgrading your manager is a new phase, I have other adjectives than "new" to use :D

I don't want mass upheaval. We have enough problems as it is.
Yep, i'm not saying i agree with what i think they are doing, I'm just trying to imagine what they are thinking. But Joao is not a 100k a week player anymore unfortunately, and after this season it's hard to argue that Rui is either.

I don't think he's been that bad. We're not in Ikeme 2015/16, Lonergan 2016/17, Lange any fucking time or Jones 2004/05 territory here.

Because of his age, if we got more than £5m in for him I'd be amazed. What's a replacement going to cost, 3-4 times that? And you don't know if they'll be any good, and there doesn't seem to be a huge pool of easily attainable keepers (for us) around that we could just go and nab.

It's such a critical position on so many levels. Believe me, if you have a ropey keeper, you notice very very quickly. You mess around with it at your peril.

It would be madness to get rid of anyone right now anyway. Interesting everyone is going on their holidays. Seeing that I'd say a new manager isn't imminent to arrive because he would want to meet the players straight away surely?

I'd have Rui way down the list of players to upgrade.
As would I, but given he is our joint highest earner Fosun may feel differently.

And it's not even that, he may just want to try a different challenge, Covid and lockdown will have done a lot to ravage the enjoyment of living in Wolverhampton (!) it may well have been enough of an issue to make some players and their families think they want to live in a more desirable climate.

I believe we have far more pressing areas for upgrade than Portugals current number 1 keeper.

I would suggest the management team new and old probably agree with Deutsch and me

It would be madness to get rid of anyone right now anyway. Interesting everyone is going on their holidays. Seeing that I'd say a new manager isn't imminent to arrive because he would want to meet the players straight away surely?
Nope.
Nuno didn't meet them until preseason started.

All those off to the Euros will be cramming in a few days of R&R before they get going again.

I don't think he's been that bad. We're not in Ikeme 2015/16, Lonergan 2016/17, Lange any fucking time or Jones 2004/05 territory here.
Of course not, but none of those were earning 100k a week, Lange probably wasn't on £500 quid a week? :unsure:

£499 quid too much.

I don't care what Rui earns, we aren't going to make a huge saving there if we buy an established keeper anyway.

Back