• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

Someone on a social media site said he was told that it was Nuno's decision to leave. I think if he had been sacked he wouldn't have been here for the Utd game

There's absolutely zero evidence that Fosun have sacked him. Anyone who is pushing that narrative is just grasping for reasons to be mad at our owners, IMO.

Apparently there's a Tim Spiers article floating about that says Neves is off for £35m

Spiers also says Patricio wanted by Roma and Traores future is uncertain. He knows fuck all.

Spiers also says Patricio wanted by Roma and Traores future is uncertain. He knows fuck all.
What do you mean??
He's Jeff Shi's most trusted confidante and now has access to all the goings on in the boardroom!

Been saying for a while Neves is the player most likely to attract suitors......I'll still be disappointed if he goes.....it will feel very much like we're dismantling what we've built up over the last 4 years. Jota, Doherty, Nuno, Neves and the rumours about Rui and Moutinho

Selling Neves isn’t a bad idea. Selling him for £35m is an awful one though.

If we are looking to 'push on' I'd say selling our best midfielder, especially when all our other options have been gash most of the season is quite a bad idea....unless of course we have a better option for less money arriving

I was low-key expecting Neves to leave this summer even with Nuno. He's been here 4 years and is 24 now, he needs to be taking the next step in his career soon. It looks like we won't be able to provide him with that platform. Staying with us while we try to rebuild is going to do him no good at all, especially if the reports of a limited budget and a significant downgrade on the coaching side with Bruno Lage are true.

£35M... As with every Mendes transfer, it's impossible to read too much into the fees. We got him cheap so I don't think we'd be able to complain too much if we lost him cheap. Especially with the pandemic driving prices down everywhere but the wealthiest clubs.

Losing Neves will hurt. Especially because I feel like he's settled in England so likely to stay in the league.

If we are looking to 'push on' I'd say selling our best midfielder, especially when all our other options have been gash most of the season is quite a bad idea....unless of course we have a better option for less money arriving
I might be surprised and we'll appoint someone decent but it's looking like we're quite clearly not in any position to 'push on' any time soon unfortunately.

I'm inclined to believe the rumours of a reduced transfer budget and a reigning back of expectations in the short term.

This doesn’t feel like it’s going to be a fun summer window.

we already need a CM as it is so if neves goes, we will need two...

let’s wait and see, but I’m not overly optimistic right now. Hopefully we can get all this uncertainty removed in the next couple of weeks

This has always been the plan / strategy / expectation though right?

Buy good players when they're younger / cheaper and watch them develop before selling them at a profit.

I don't want to see players like Neves, Jota, Neto etc leave but I fully expect them too.

I half suspect that's why they're getting a new manager in, someone who will be a little more "amenable" when it comes to recruiting.

It does feel like this summer will be a big reset and next seasons team could look very different.

I mean...Fosun are not exactly going to stick their fingers in the air, come up with a number, and then give it to the press. That would be mental.

The article in question

Even the comments are questioning why it contradicts what he's already written. Something doesn't add up. He's not getting sole credit on any of these either for some reason.

I'd be gutted if Neves went - but I'd be absolutely disgusted if he goes for anything remotely close to £35m.

Of all the stories Spiers has ran, I hope this is the one that he's most wide of the mark on.

Not looking forward to this window at all.

What is his contract situation? 2 years left?

I'm amazed we have had him for 4 years tbh. Honestly expected just 2.

Yes, expires in 2023 (weirdly there doesn't seem to be the same flap about this in the media as there has been with Adama, even though they both have the same end date and I know which one I'd rather keep in a straight choice)

I might be surprised and we'll appoint someone decent but it's looking like we're quite clearly not in any position to 'push on' any time soon unfortunately.

I'm inclined to believe the rumours of a reduced transfer budget and a reigning back of expectations in the short term.
If we're not looking to improve (which is what I meant by 'push on') what on earth is the point of changing coaches.

Back