• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

I just don't think we'll have a lot of choice, if he wants to leave, he will, and with Nuno leaving and probably Joao i'd say that's possible.

We definitely don't need to upgrade on Rui, the main concern is that with Mourinho going to Roma and if he has made it known he wants Rui as his no.1, can see why Rui would find a move to Rome appealing. I really don't want it to happen but I do fear that he has had his head turned

We definitely don't need to upgrade on Rui, the main concern is that with Mourinho going to Roma and if he has made it known he wants Rui as his no.1, can see why Rui would find a move to Rome appealing. I really don't want it to happen but I do fear that he has had his head turned
Look at all the stories of players Jose wants at Roma. The most i have seen a paper say his transfer budget is £60m. In all articles he has spent 4 times as much as that even before they get to what they would require for Rui. (£5m-£10m depending on how we play it)

Look at all the stories of players Jose wants at Roma. The most i have seen a paper say his transfer budget is £60m. In all articles he has spent 4 times as much as that even before they get to what they would require for Rui. (£5m-£10m depending on how we play it)

Hopefully, last thing we need is to lose Rui

Can't be that bad surely. Jose won't be cheap at all and can't see them destroying their budget on just the manager

Anyone know where it's come from that we'll only be spending what we can recoup this year?

I've read Tim Spiers say it but I wouldn't take what he says as gospel. In fact if I was one of his sources at the club it does make sense to feed him this line. I don't think I've ever seen a club come out and say right, this year we're all in, no messing about. Surely as a club you'd want to perpetuate a narrative of there not being much money in the pot to strengthen your negotiating position.

I understand everyone's finances have taken a hit, but regardless Fosun are still rich as fuck, and are also all about extracting maximum value out of the market. I can't see a better time to do that than this year with the financial pressures other clubs will be under. I've just got a feeling whichever manager comes in they will get significant backing, which could also be a reason for the managerial change now, obvs I could be completely wrong!

Anyone know where it's come from that we'll only be spending what we can recoup this year?

I've read Tim Spiers say it but I wouldn't take what he says as gospel. In fact if I was one of his sources at the club it does make sense to feed him this line. I don't think I've ever seen a club come out and say right, this year we're all in, no messing about. Surely as a club you'd want to perpetuate a narrative of there not being much money in the pot to strengthen your negotiating position.

I understand everyone's finances have taken a hit, but regardless Fosun are still rich as fuck, and are also all about extracting maximum value out of the market. I can't see a better time to do that than this year with the financial pressures other clubs will be under. I've just got a feeling whichever manager comes in they will get significant backing, which could also be a reason for the managerial change now, obvs I could be completely wrong!
It has come from the mind of Tim Speirs who is NEVER wrong... :rolleyes:

It has come from the mind of Tim Speirs who is NEVER wrong... :rolleyes:
Exactly this is the same Tim Spiers who was writing not long ago that the people in power had faith in Nuno etc. Seems to me the club treat Tim Spiers like a mushroom, keep him in the dark and feed him shit.

I agree; you can't get a more prestigious welcome to the forum than that.

There's absolutely no way that Fosun will have let Nuno go, with the intention of improving our football and chances of breaking the top 6, if they're not prepared to allow that manager to reshape and significantly invest in the playing staff.

They're not in this to throw money at it, they've done that bit and increased the value of their asset, it's supposed to get along on its own now.

It's not that hard to believe, plenty of owners have had spells where they've turned the taps on and off. Both of our last two ones for a kick off.

I agree; you can't get a more prestigious welcome to the forum than that.

There's absolutely no way that Fosun will have let Nuno go, with the intention of improving our football and chances of breaking the top 6, if they're not prepared to allow that manager to reshape and significantly invest in the playing staff.
Depends whether they believe another manager can get that out of the squad that's already there. It's why Lage's background makes sense for the wrong reasons

They're not in this to throw money at it, they've done that bit and increased the value of their asset, it's supposed to get along on its own now.

It's not that hard to believe, plenty of owners have had spells where they've turned the taps on and off. Both of our last two ones for a kick off.
I get what your saying, not sure the comparison with our previous owners is really valid though. The only real advantage to them of pumping more of their own money in would have been personal enjoyment on the back of increased on field success. Lets say Fosun managed to develop Wolves into a global brand on par with a Man City or Chelsea, the associated benefits from a Corporate perspective would be huge.

Take into account how much the big clubs rake in from corporate sponsors each year, it's in the hundreds of millions. Now imagine that Fosun's portfolio of businesses could use Wolves as a vehicle for sponsorship, essentially for free, that is hundreds of millions in advertising money saved, every year. And the difference in advertising revenue between a mid table premier league club and a top premier league clubs is huge as overseas fans don't really care about middling premier league clubs. In that context I think it makes perfect business sense for them to continue to invest sensibly until the team is successful in the premier league and Europe.

I get what your saying, not sure the comparison with our previous owners is really valid though. The only real advantage to them of pumping more of their own money in would have been personal enjoyment on the back of increased on field success. Lets say Fosun managed to develop Wolves into a global brand on par with a Man City or Chelsea, the associated benefits from a Corporate perspective would be huge.

Take into account how much the big clubs rake in from corporate sponsors each year, it's in the hundreds of millions. Now imagine that Fosun's portfolio of businesses could use Wolves as a vehicle for sponsorship, essentially for free, that is hundreds of millions in advertising money saved, every year. And the difference in advertising revenue between a mid table premier league club and a top premier league clubs is huge as overseas fans don't really care about middling premier league clubs. In that context I think it makes perfect business sense for them to continue to invest sensibly until the team is successful in the premier league and Europe.
Unfortunately to become a top premier league club takes massive investment. Doing it sensibly will never get you up there quickly. In fact it might never get you there. To be a brand as Fosun want is going to take a lot of money short term. Brands that are successful (as in football teams) have spent huge amounts to be where they are. Having something as a worldwide recognised brand is not cheap, and to keep it in the spotlight isn't cheap either. Particularly if all you are selling is a logo and a name.

it's also so easy to backslide. it would be a shame to lose the bones of this squad because we failed to make that next step.

moving the team up the competitive ladder so that the squad doesn't lose the neto's and neves's is also part of investing. we won't have many good players coming in (and who knows how many leaving) if we just wallow away in bottom table for another few years. would be very strange to have all this investment and quality to then just pull the rug out, especially by installing an immediately hamstrung new manager.

Unfortunately to become a top premier league club takes massive investment. Doing it sensibly will never get you up there quickly. .
Massive investment can be sensible in the right circumstances. I don't know why it has to be quickly really, seems like they're in no particular rush anyway. You can make a massive investment, spread over a long period of time.

In fact I think it probably makes more sense to invest slowly rather than just wack loads of money in straight away chasing instant success. That's fine if you are Man City and have literally unlimited funds, but it isn't very sensible, look at how much money they wasted in the early years. They rarely pay over the odds for a player nowadays.

There are only so many good players available at any one time and the massive spending over a short period of time approach will inevitably lead to selling clubs overcharging for mediocre talent. Plus, as compensation for joining a "lesser" club, players will want exorbitant wages. There's a difference between investing over a long period with clear goals and throwing money down the drain. I still believe Fosun have the same aims they said they had when they bought the club, I just think they've become a bit more savvy in how they are going to achieve it.

Massive investment can be sensible in the right circumstances. I don't know why it has to be quickly really, seems like they're in no particular rush anyway. You can make a massive investment, spread over a long period of time.

In fact I think it probably makes more sense to invest slowly rather than just wack loads of money in straight away chasing instant success. That's fine if you are Man City and have literally unlimited funds, but it isn't very sensible, look at how much money they wasted in the early years. They rarely pay over the odds for a player nowadays.

There are only so many good players available at any one time and the massive spending over a short period of time approach will inevitably lead to selling clubs overcharging for mediocre talent. Plus, as compensation for joining a "lesser" club, players will want exorbitant wages. There's a difference between investing over a long period with clear goals and throwing money down the drain. I still believe Fosun have the same aims they said they had when they bought the club, I just think they've become a bit more savvy in how they are going to achieve it.
Of course, I get it. But there's a caveat to being a successful global brand, which is what Fosun not only want to be long term, they are doing it right now. The one thing above everything else that sells a football club brand. Success. Which means trophies, and being right up there in the elite top 6 clubs. That costs a shit ton. Fine if Fosun wanted to make Wolves a global brand long term, but they don't. They are doing it now in Asia particularly.
So to promote it now you need success now. Is mid table success for them? Apparently not it seems, as our most successful manager in 40 years is off home without a job.
What I'm pointing out is Fosun obviously want more than mid table for their brand. It's going to take more than loan to buy and selling your best players to fund it. You can't have mid table and a successful brand together according to them. It's one or the other.
Bear in mind I am, and everyone on here, is guessing what Fosun actually want, because they are not forthcoming very often with what they want per season. Just generally, and that keeps changing year on year. Maybe if they came out and clearly define what they want exactly from the club that would clear it up, and stop the guessing.

Clubs hardly ever talk like that publicly, and the only thing you can ever do is raise expectations beyond what's actually possible and then idiot fans will hold them to that forever as if it's a statement made in a court of law.

when shi made comments about us being better than man city he did say it might take 10, or even 30, years

so

lets also remember Nuno's words after the europa league exit. When he mentioned how many people had been there since he came in, and things were at risk of going stale, becoming stagnant, not progressing etc there is the possibility there could have been some self referencing there.
I did hear (though have zero idea how much, if any, truth is in it) that Nuno had expressed a desire to step back at the end of last season, but didn't owing to covid, and agreed to remain here for this season.
Think it is phenomenally unlikely personally, but it isn't totally impossible.

Back