• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

Uh oh

Percy now saying Jota "will not necessarily be replaced"

He might not be clued in, of course. But Percy's normally pretty good. I will admit to some concern here.
Must admit, I wasn't expecting a replacement.

Ps: I'd better change my avatar [emoji22]

Uh oh

He might not be clued in, of course. But Percy's normally pretty good. I will admit to some concern here.

That shouldn’t be a shock. We have brought Fabio into the front line and have Neto, Podence and Adama as wide options. The money will be spent elsewhere.

demarai gray as cover

That shouldn’t be a shock. We have brought Fabio into the front line and have Neto, Podence and Adama as wide options. The money will be spent elsewhere.

Agreed - especially with less games this season, we don’t need another wide forward.

We can see how we do without a replacement for now as long as we sign a strong RWB and free Traore up.

Still a bit of a backwards step for the wide forward position, but not a catastrophe. Think we may have to get used to Traore up front with Raul when we play a 2 though!

Uh oh

He says he will not necessarily be replaced due to the emergence of Neto and Podence. Hard to find fault in that really. We need to invest in other areas first.

Nash has woken up and decided to join the party -

Having slept on it, I reckon Hoever is our new RWB.

Me too - and I think that's pretty exciting TBH, I really like the kid.

I'm going out for dinner with some friends tonight, one of whom is a Liverpool fan. If he dares spite me about Diogo, I'll drown him in the gravy boat.

He says he will not necessarily be replaced due to the emergence of Neto and Podence. Hard to find fault in that really. We need to invest in other areas first.

Agreed. We have a very potent front line even without Jota, but other areas need attention.

We do have wide forward options of course, but I think we'll miss Jota quite a lot. Yes Traore goes past people but in a completely different way to Jota. Don't think the impact of his defensive work and workrate should be under estimated either, he was often instrumental in turning deep defence into goal scoring opportunities. I personally am going to miss him winding up opposition defenders.
Having said all that when Liverpool come calling, whats a young, ambitious player going to do? We get a decent fee I suppose, be interesting to see how we spend it, maybe we will benefit in the long term letting one of our young bright stars go........still gutted though

While I agree there are other glaring priorities, unless Traore has found Billy's Boots over the summer (dating myself now) think it's putting a lot onto Neto and Podence's shoulders. Neto's shown promising signs but Podence has never been a goalscorer from his record elsewhere. Could change, of course.

I think between this and Thursday I'm probably overreacting but if the aim is to score more goals as Nuno has said then I'm not sure cutting back our goalscoring options is conducive to that. But, guess we'll see.

Extra shift at work. In here just after 5am. Plastic red here trying to take the piss. He isn’t doing too well but I may chuck him in the polymer tank if this continues.

While I agree there are other glaring priorities, unless Traore has found Billy's Boots over the summer (dating myself now) think it's putting a lot onto Neto and Podence's shoulders. Neto's shown promising signs but Podence has never been a goalscorer from his record elsewhere. Could change, of course.

I think between this and Thursday I'm probably overreacting but if the aim is to score more goals as Nuno has said then I'm not sure cutting back our goalscoring options is conducive to that. But, guess we'll see.
This is anecdotal so happy to be pulled up, but haven't the majority of Jota's goals since promotion been when we have been playing 352, rather than 343? IF Nuno doesn't want to play that formation anymore then his record as a goalscorer in it becomes redundant.

My mate who is a Liverpool journo and never gossips, has messaged me to say tough luck on jota, but were getting a good price and a quality defender, expecting deal to be announced after 5pm

We do have wide forward options of course, but I think we'll miss Jota quite a lot. Yes Traore goes past people but in a completely different way to Jota. Don't think the impact of his defensive work and workrate should be under estimated either, he was often instrumental in turning deep defence into goal scoring opportunities. I personally am going to miss him winding up opposition defenders.
Having said all that when Liverpool come calling, whats a young, ambitious player going to do? We get a decent fee I suppose, be interesting to see how we spend it, maybe we will benefit in the long term letting one of our young bright stars go........still gutted though

Agree with this. I've made my peace with the move, but some are too desperate to claim it's a great move for us and the answer is already here with Pod and Neto. Those two are exciting, not sure I'd call them potent just yet.

I think Neto will do better than Diogo from a scoring perspective, given last year was his first season in adult football.

He scored 3 and assisted 3 in 926 premier league minutes last season
Diogo scored 7 and assisted 1 in 2,298 premier league minutes.

Neto has a slightly better goals to minutes ratio than Jota, as well as getting more assists. Personally I think Neto will be the better player.

UK tabs are running with the Jota story now -recycled version. £50m.

Hypothetically would anyone do that? It's Utd so you'd rinse another £10m out of them and we have Neto and Podence who can replace him. I'd be tempted if that £60m was invested in 2 top signings to take us to the next level, in addition to say the £50m or so we are likely to spend anyway.

I think it was Kenny who said it was inevitable we'd lose someone eventually and if it were Jota the drop off wouldn't be as large as if it if were Boly, Raul or Neves for example. My biggest concern would be that this could unsettle others. From Jota's perspective I'm guessing the relative European positions will make a difference. With the City situation it's feasible that either us or Utd could be in the CL, EL or neither at the moment.
From 23rd Feb, rumour at the time was Utd

FWIW since Aarons' name has surfaced in here previously apparently Norwich have turned down bids from Barcelona (!) -while I would think that would rule us out, it does also point to Semedo being replaced, so maybe good news, in a roundabout way.

Back