• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

When the money comes In is irrelevant. What’s more important is what’s in the books. And if that’s £45m then this is very good business for us.

Yea, i was just putting it into perspective. 45 million is a lot in a lump. 4.5 million over 12 months isn't. I'm guessing Fosun cover the next transfer and wait for the money to come in later. Liverpool did the Jota transfer because we didn't demand all the money up front, which tells you everything about todays transfer market for some clubs, even those as big as the Reds.

I wouldn't be entirely sure - Punts is right, when the cash arrives is secondary concern to when the sale hits the books. No reason we cannot spend now if we want. Almost all clubs will be deferring actual cash payments in some shape or form at the moment due to losing revenue from crowds etc - I'm sure there might be one or two out there who have to insist on cash upfront but most will recognise that to keep the football economy at large moving it's not business as usual right now.

With that said, it's a lot, more than expected. Is he worth that much to them as a squad player? Maybe, if they can rest and rotate the front 3 a bit - they're all approaching 30 and it'll be a busy season for them with CL. There's a chance he goes on to bigger and better things from here. Or, he might be stuck on the bench for a couple years and they don't recoup the money. Wish him well regardless, will remain much more interested in his career than some others who've departed over the years!

Semedo for a reported £40odd million? Are we a side that spends that much on a fullback?

Certainly happier with £45-50m than the £30-35m initially mooted.

I've only ever seen Hoeve in the game against us, Liverpool fans seem to rate him pretty highly.

I think we'll run without a direct replacement until Pepe comes in January

A Bola are reporting Semedo at €12. We'd be horrendously overpaying at 40.

If we can get a top RWB, I mean a proper Doc upgrade, out of this, then it's a necessary sacrifice and I can live with the logic of it.

I think we're getting a bit nearer to the Nuno / Fosun model now. First choice in a position is a very solid player and the back up is u23 - but not a player who is in our u23 team. Literally a young player with lots of potential and can step in short term if needed

I’m actually seeing Wolves fans turning their nose up (not on here) at a bloke who played over 40 games for Barcelona last season... bloody Barcelona! :icon_lol:

Semedo would be some coup for us if we could get him here (not for £40m, mind). And he would be an instant upgrade on Doc and would suit our system down to the ground.

Would wages be an issue, though?

Surely Hoever has come to be a first team player?

Well he will be pretty close to that. Possible starter at RWB, possible first reserve CB. Doesn’t get anywhere near a look in at Liverpool and won’t any time soon with Trent, Gomez, Van Dijk and they are favouring Neco Williams as back up.

Turned down Athletico Madrid & Juventus to come here according to Dominic King, so you’d imagine so.

I'm not sure he goes straight in, probably on the bench like Silva and Vitinha but he'll get a lot more game time here than at those other clubs

Very happy with £40m+ for Jota when he was largely inconsistent last season. Unstoppable on his day, but that day came once every 10 games.

It's pants down territory.

Back