• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

£20m for Thiago, £40+m for Jota. Yes, there is a difference in age, but...

If Klopp nails his consistency he will be an absolutely fantastic signing for them, but I have my doubts.

He won’t flop but he ain’t Salah or Mane. A year ago I would have said sky’s the limit, but after last season I’ve had my doubts. For example I wouldn’t even have him in our strongest team.

He’s an able back up but not sure it’s a good deal paying £45m for a backup who I question the growth In.

Only 10% upfront by the sounds of it, although £41m is guaranteed.

He won’t flop but he ain’t Salah or Mane. A year ago I would have said sky’s the limit, but after last season I’ve had my doubts. For example I wouldn’t even have him in our strongest team.

He’s an able back up but not sure it’s a good deal paying £45m for a backup who I question the growth In.

He's a Shaqiri/Ox replacement, and I would say he is certainly better than both of those.

It's bonkers that we have sold a squad player for £41m. Imagine how much we could demand for Neves, Jimenez, Traore? North of £70m. Each.

Oh man, he's really going isn't he?

I don't get this narrative where he's inconsistent and has spells where he's not good enough. He's ace, with bags more potential and I love him.

Lets face it this is what happens. We have a good player he's never shit but he is streaky with his top form, don't agree he's better in a 352 he's ace in a 3.

We want to progress, it is not like he is like pencilled in for starter we have great options of which he is one. This is how you circumnavigate FFP and increase squad value.

I'm sure Wolves don't really want to lose him but it's the money side, which we all would rail about in transfer window, if we had nought to spend.

If we want to be a force we have to make money by transfers to progress. Hate to see him go but I'd love it if he got a runners up medal with us winning the league.

Only 10% upfront by the sounds of it, although £41m is guaranteed.
Given how much we have pulled in on Cav, Costa and Doc this season, this is excellent for our FFP over the next couple of seasons.

Liverpool sign Diogo Jota for £45m from Wolves

18 September 2020Updated 22:30 BST

Liverpool have completed a £45 million deal for forward Diogo Jota from Wolverhampton Wanderers, reports James Pearce. The 23-year-old Portugal international has signed a five-year contract. An initial fee of £41 million will rise to £45 million depending on appearances and team success in the Premier League and Champions League. Dutch teenager Ki-Jana Hoever is going in the opposite direction in a £13.5 million deal — £9 million guaranteed and £4.5 million in add-ons. Liverpool have also negotiated a 15 per cent sell-on clause. It completes a remarkable day for the club following the unveiling of £27 million signing Thiago Alcantara from Bayern Munich.

Why are Liverpool signing him?

The Anfield hierarchy believe Jota will ease the burden on the front three of Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino.
The club’s recruitment staff have followed his progress closely over the past two seasons and have kept in close contact with his agency Gestifute, who also represent Fabinho.
Jurgen Klopp has long admired Jota’s flexibility, determination, eye for goal, work rate and ability to play across the front line. His tactical intelligence on and off the ball also caught Klopp’s eye.

How did they get the deal done?

Assistant boss Pep Lijnders was integral.
The former Porto youth coach used his contacts in Portuguese football and received glowing references about the player’s character.
Wolves’ willingness to be flexible on payment terms was crucial. They have accepted less than 10 per cent of the guaranteed figure in the next 12 months. The vast majority of that is offset by the initial payment from Wolves for the Hoever deal.

What about Watford’s Ismaila Sarr?

The Senegal international was understood to be Liverpool’s main attacking target. However, after initial discussions with Watford this week, it soon became clear that the price tag and the payment structure would be prohibitive.
Despite their relegation to the Championship, Watford were still demanding a base fee of £40 million rising to in excess of £50 million — more than Everton paid for Richarlison. Liverpool deemed that too expensive.

28 Comments

Dominic B.
3h ago

Why didnt they go for Werner at this price

Derek W.
3h ago

@Dominic B. Would assume that Leipzig wouldn't go for that payment structure anyway. Backloading these deals is all on the hope that income returns once pandemic is settled, I'm guessing.

Gavin H.
3h ago

@Dominic B. seems that Werner and his buy out was all at the wrong time. Early days of covid, no way we were going to spend that money. There is most likely a clearer picture of finances with whos leaving the club. Wouldn't be surprised if we had a positive net spend before the window is closed.

Paul D.
3h ago

@Dominic B. Wages? I imagine as a top scorer in Bundesliga, Werner would be demanding double the wages of Jota.

Jonathan C.
3h ago

@Dominic B. Maybe a similar issue to that of Sarr, the structure of the deal might not have suited? It looks like Liverpool are paying minimal up front in both Jota and Thiago deals. Not sure what the structure of Werner deal was for Chelsea...

Google R.
3h ago

@Dominic B. Because the fee is staggered over 5 years and Hoever is going in the opposite direction for £10m+, so no outlay necessary this season. Then assuming Covid-19 is sorted out, the club can easily make the remaining payments as gate receipts are revived. As for Werner, Leipzig wanted the fee up front £55m.

Google R.
2h ago

@Dominic B. He's also a different sort of striker than Werner. Read the previous Athletic article on Jota - his running power with the ball, dribbling and how he carries the ball up field is impressive. Similar to Mane. https://theathletic.com/2002749/2020/08 ... iogo-jota/ "in the dribbling stakes, however Jota more than holds his own when compared to the rest of the league. He attempted 151 dribbles, the fifth-highest number in the division (behind Traore, Wilfried Zaha, Allan Saint-Maximin and Dwight McNeil), up from 133 last season. His dribble success rate was 43 per cent, the same as last year but behind Daniel Podence (50 per cent) and Traore (69 per cent)."

Google R.
3h ago

Holy rhymes with hit! No one saw the Jota signing coming!!! And certainly not for £40-£45m!! Probably a good piece of business if he turns out to be half decent given that Hoever has gone in the other direction for £10-15m. So basically £30m for Jota.

Alex Y.
3h ago

Well today has been busy! Again, like Thiago, I haven't really watched him play. Obviously heard about him with wolves playing so well last year. But a dark horse for me so couldn't comment on the price tag. Him being 23 and a 5 year deal in the bag, seems hes also one for the future!

Sabin I.
3h ago

THATS INSANEEE. IM OVER THE MOON. BUILD MICHAEL EDWARDS KLOPP AND LINDJERS STATUES NOW!

Andrew T.
3h ago

£47m for Werner was too much but £41m + £4m for Jota is ok? Forget the club spin and insufferable club rivalry banter which demands that fans say that every deal their club makes is the right one. Surely Werner was the right deal for this summer and for succession planning as the front 3 approaches 30 whilst Jota is just expensive squad padding.

Samuel M.
3h ago

Anyone looking to buy Werner would have had to pay the money upfront... Which is what Chelsea did (it's how buyout clauses work) This deal is offset by Hoever going to Wolves and covering the initial payment for Jota. and Wolves accepting instalments for the rest of the money over the next 3-5 years.

Michael M.
3h ago

I would imagine the finances are far more complicated than that. Probably paying it over 3 or 4 years rather than up front and probably on 1/3 Werner's wages

Samuel M.
3h ago

The way buyout clauses work means Liverpool would have had to pay £48m upfront for Werner (well actually they'd have to give the money to Werner to pay Leipzig). From what I'm reading about this deal is Wolves have accepted a small upfront payment that is effectively covered by the upfront payment Wolves are paying for Hoever. So the cost to liverpool right now is close to zero

Egg B.
3h ago

I'd be on safe ground to assume that Jota's wages are around half of what Werner would've demanded. And as others have mentioned the payment structure is key, not to mention Jota is about £10M less than Timo. All in all I think it's a very good deal. Add it to Thiago, and it's been a fucking great day!

Rich B.
3h ago

When I first saw this I figured the payment structure was the key factor. Liverpool seem like they have brought in Thiago and Jota for, what, 5-10m up front? Crazy.

Sami M.
3h ago

Brilliant signing as a backup and perhaps future first team player. Is there no buy back clause in the Hoever deal? He seemed like a real talent

Paul N.
2h ago

Doesn’t look like it, but with Neco Williams now Trent’s backup it’s probably best for his career to move elsewhere

Google R.
3h ago

I just looked up Jota's stats. 7 PL goals in 34 appearance last season. Isn't that a bit crap? 9 PL goals in 33 appearance in the season before that. That said, he does seem to have good running power and hold up play when receiving the ball. Definitely going to be a more useful and more developed forward than Origi or Brewster though.

Asad P.
3h ago

Interesting that Liverpool basically just bought him through a player + £30 mill offer. You don't usually see these kinds of bids succeed in the transfer market.

Kimme U.
3h ago

Damn, that was fast. 2 new players in one day.

Rachel E.
3h ago

Not sure about Jota myself yet but if Liverpool have been watching for 2 seasons they know more than me and I trust Pep Lijnders. Interesting times for Liverpool and Klopp told us it would be a quiet window...

Google R.
2h ago

Previous article on Jota - well worth a read: https://theathletic.com/2002749/2020/08 ... iogo-jota/

Jinal T.
2h ago

Great signing in my opinion, Jota was impressive for Wolves last year and at his age, you would only expect for him to improve as a player. He fits what Liverpool need really well, he has the skill-set to play across the front line ably and contribute to a good level. The price is a little high for my liking but the deal's structure is perfect in my opinion; the present day cash flow will not be affected too much by the £4.5m initial outlay. It is Werner money but the long-term financial obligations will be less. Jota's wages will be significantly lower than what Timo would have been paid.

Eemil S.
2h ago

Exited for Liverpool, but gutted for Mane. He's always very happy when he's spending time or even talking about Sarr.

Cameron S.
2h ago

Origi stays then?....

Hylton L.
2h ago

Michael Edwards could have my children

Peter K.
19m ago

I see it as an eventual replacement for the front 3.

£41m feels about right and if the incentives are team rather than player based then you'd think there's a decent chance of getting close to the 45.

We've now spent £44m on two players who probably won't make our first 11 now and received £56m for two that probably do (I appreciate Jota is debatable), so it's clear what the strategy is, I hope it doesn't jeopardise the short term though. Recruitment over the next fortnight needs to be focussed on the now as well as the future, not sure Esteves does that as another 18 yr old.

As it is from the team that ended the league season and the 15 players Nuno trusted we have lost Jonny, Doherty and Jota and gained Marcal + some or all of Vitinha, Silva and Hoever, the latter 3 having played about 30 senior games between them, so guesswork to know how they will develop in the short term.

Nash has woken up and decided to join the party -

. @Wolves have agreed a fee of £8m rising to £13m for @LFC right wing back Ki-Jara Hoever. The Dutchman, 18, has agreed a five-year deal. Whether he is Doc's replacement depends on how the rest of the window pans out.

Having slept on it, I reckon Hoever is our new RWB.

This is how you circumnavigate FFP and increase squad value

Yep, it's with a heavy heart but overnight this is what has tempered my unease at the sale.

I do think people are grasping at the 'Nuno left him out for a couple of games during the most disruptive time for football in 80 years' line a little too pedantically to try and justify how we'll hardly miss him.

After Raul he's our best forward and best goalscorer, and a very intelligent player with years ahead of him. Like with Doc, there's a bit of revisionism mixed in with wishful thinking about a theoretical replacement and the future output of Pod and Neto.

But anyway, we all knew that we needed a big sale at some point to kick on, and as someone's already said, better him than Raul or Neves. Traore... I love him but put him on a par with Jota... Maybe Adama just wins out for his extraordinary skillset when he gets it right. So it's definitely not the worst case scenario in terms of big money exits

It does mean that with this sale we really have to invest it seriously over the next two or three windows, or I'll be questioning it. If we're not going to use this as a springboard then let's stop the talk from the club of breaking into the elite and fans can lower their expectations

Uh oh

Percy now saying Jota "will not necessarily be replaced"

He might not be clued in, of course. But Percy's normally pretty good. I will admit to some concern here.

Uh oh

Percy now saying Jota "will not necessarily be replaced"

He might not be clued in, of course. But Percy's normally pretty good. I will admit to some concern here.

I mean, it’s a question of priorities. I’m sure we’d like a replacement, but replacing our fourth-choice wide forward is less pressing than upgrading the wingbacks or centre backs at the moment.

Back