• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

The fee for a player is largely irrelevant when Mendes is involved, players are either under valued or over valued dependent on what outcomes are sought. We have got players in for much less than they are worth with Mendes.

If we take what a Nuno and Shi said at face value around the Doc transfer, the timing wasn’t expected but it probably accelerated existing plans. The only way we develop is to sell and buy, we aren’t going to hold on to players long term until we are able to go toe to toe with the biggest clubs in Europe. The purchases of Neto and Podence, both of whom are competing with Jota (and now Silva) means any decent offer for Jota is going to be considered. We have invested heavily in replacements and we need to develop other areas of the team.

Jota is a very decent player who will have a very good career. From what I have seen of Neto and Podence I think we are well covered. We might regret it, or those two and Silva will be more than enough and more for the next few years.

Don’t expect your favourite player to be anything other than a means to an end.

The fee for a player is largely irrelevant when Mendes is involved, players are either under valued or over valued dependent on what outcomes are sought. We have got players in for much less than they are worth with Mendes.

If we take what a Nuno and Shi said at face value around the Doc transfer, the timing wasn’t expected but it probably accelerated existing plans. The only way we develop is to sell and buy, we aren’t going to hold on to players long term until we are able to go toe to toe with the biggest clubs in Europe. The purchases of Neto and Podence, both of whom are competing with Jota (and now Silva) means any decent offer for Jota is going to be considered. We have invested heavily in replacements and we need to develop other areas of the team.

Jota is a very decent player who will have a very good career. From what I have seen of Neto and Podence I think we are well covered. We might regret it, or those two and Silva will be more than enough and more for the next few years.

Great summary

I must admit I don't know a huge amount on Semedo - the only overriding memory I have of watching him was Alphonso Davies skinning him alive when Bayern thumped them a few weeks ago.

Long as he doesn't have that hanging over him, I would trust Nuno to coach up anyone.

Agree with all of this

I must admit I don't know a huge amount on Semedo - the only overriding memory I have of watching him was Alphonso Davies skinning him alive when Bayern thumped them a few weeks ago.

Long as he doesn't have that hanging over him, I would trust Nuno to coach up anyone.
To be fair Alphonso Davies would skin Traore alive too. Pretty much the fastest player in the world right now. Semendo would be an upgrade for us! Bring the kid in from Liverpool and you have a rwb combo for at least 10 years. That's my take on it anyway. We have strikers in abundance. RWB = none.

I need to just get excited about Ki-Jana Hoever now because I've been watching Diogo Jota youtube videos in my boxers with a tub of Ben & Jerry's and a triple whisky for the last hour.

So... Where does everyone think he's going to fit in? For me it's one of 3 possibilities:

Sweeper - Apparently he's very vocal, has a great understanding of defensive positioning and has a good passing range. Coady hasn't had an understudy/competition for Nuno's entire reign, the closest we've got to that is Marques who we still know very little about.

RCB - I've loved the way Saïss has driven forward and carried the ball out of defence in our last 2 games and Nuno has spoken about playing with more freedom/control this season. When Romain isn't playing I don't think we have anyone else who can do that right now so perhaps we're signing Hoever for the occasions where Saïss won't play. Move Boly over to the left and allow Hoever the freedom to step forward and break the lines.

RWB - Obviously a massive hole in our squad and Hoever certainly has the capabilities to play there.

I think he'll get plenty of time at RCB and RWB. Sign a senior RWB who can also play on the left (Semedo - it all seems to convenient) and then we are well stocked enough for this season providing Vinagre stays. Then when Jonny returns we have a decent set of options all round.

Think he'll primarily be RCB and cover for RWB. We know Donck can play CB in a pinch but I think he's going to be exclusively CM in future.

I just can't cope with all this excitement/anxiety. Linked with big names left right and centre, and selling 1st team players to our rivals. It's getting too much. I just want to go to sleep and wake up when the transfer window is over.

One concern of mine is that these Doc and Jota deals kind of open the floodgates for those players to go down the same route. I know you can't always stop it, but it's unsettling

Agreed. We will do well to get someone in who forges the same successful partnership that Jota had w Raul, and if that doesnt happen this happen this season, I would agree that players may start to become disillusioned with 'the project'

Trust Nuno lads. He will have done his research and if he knows that Jotas time has come, then we need to back the manager on this because it's a big call and we know fuck all about what goes on behind the scenes so have a bit of faith

Jota to Liverpool confirmed by Tim.

We could get up to £45m for him.

Hoever also coming to us. £9m fee rising to £13.5m.

I think we have to be happy with the fee for both of those players.

Says only 10% of the fee over the next 12 months on the Liverpool Echo page.

Liverpool have a 15% sell on clause for Hoever.

Says only 10% of the fee over the next 12 months on the Liverpool Echo page.

When the money comes In is irrelevant. What’s more important is what’s in the books. And if that’s £45m then this is very good business for us.

Frees us up to make a big splash in the transfer market summer 2021

Back