• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

As Alan says, when Liverpool come knocking you lose your leverage. And I definitely think there’s an element of us thinking this is a good deal for us for a player who isn’t indispensable, where it gives us plenty of money to reinvest inside FFP, and keep the family Silver in Raul and Neves.

When you put it like that, sounds eminently reasonable. Just got to hope we invest, and wisely

Romano says fee upto €43m. I think that's fair to be honest.

Romano reckons 43m Euros or thereabout - just a hair under £39m at current rates. - gah, Nando :argh:

I find it hard to argue at that price. I know people are throwing around other numbers right now, but here's another - Liverpool just signed a 29 year old Champions League winning midfielder for £20m. We're selling Jota for nearly double that. Some reckoned we should've gotten more than that for Doc (!) Not every team is Chelsea or Villa throwing stupid money around.

My main concern at this point is if this has come out of nowhere, which might mean we've been caught at short notice. That would not be welcome. But, if it eases things elsewhere and gets some quality coming in, maybe it will work out.

Chilwell £50m
Watkins £33m
Martinez £20m
Eze £20m
Docoure £25m
Hojberg £20m
Tarkowski £35m rejected, Sarr c£40m asking price.

If that's the barometer then Jota is worth £50m for me. Especially given his contract, our owners. As for 'you lose the leverage when Liverpool come calling', Jesus fuck that shit.

On top of the 2 year deal

Watkins - £33m is with a load of add ons, English tax, indispensable to Brentford, Villa are idiots.
Martinez - Solid GK, Villa are idiots, this isn’t that bad a deal.
Eze - English tax, only just turned 22. It’s £16m which is very different to £35m
Doucore - Everton love over paying, he’s a good player as well. Certainly not £10m worse than Jota.
Hojberg - he’s shit, no idea what Spurs are doing
Tarkowski - English tax, Burnley don’t need to sell, he doesn’t need to move, indispensable to Burnley.

Transfer fees are surely pretty meaningless in a Mendes world. I've no idea why fans care so much about them.

From a sentimental perspective, I'm sad to see him go. I fully understand it both from his perspective and from a business perspective.

I don’t get the “mendes world” and “mendes carousel” stuff. I’ve never seen us sell an important first team player that we wouldnt want to lose yet under Fosun, they have just been normal selling on the non vital people that would happen to any growing club regardless of owner.

(Not aimed at banjo, I know that’s not the point of your comment)

It's been getting lost amongst everything else but reports elsewhere Telles has agreed terms with Man U but they're refusing to pay the 20m Porto want. I think that one's probably not happening (if it ever was) - PSG might also be back in as their LB blew his knee out yesterday

I don’t get the “mendes world” and “mendes carousel” stuff. I’ve never seen us sell an important first team player that we wouldnt want to lose yet under Fosun, they have just been normal selling on the non vital people that would happen to any growing club regardless of owner.
I just basing it on experience: signing Moutinho for £5m for example. Transfer fees are not logical these days. People need to fucking get over it. From the club's perspective, money in is good for FFP purposes and it's a profit on what was paid.

I'm happy to join in with the sadness to see such an important player during the Nuno era go. But handwringing over transfer fees is tedious imv. There's been no consistency on transfer fees during the Fosun era.

I think you have to try and apply logic to it and try and take away the nostalgia.

Jota is currently our 4th choice wide player and he’s not in our team. He was pretty awful for most of last season and scored a handful of Premier League goals.

Liverpool are in the top 3 best sides in Europe and they’re going to give us £40m quid for him.....a bloke that’s not even deemed good enough to get in our team.

You have to absolutely trust Nuno and the club to use the money to strengthen and keep us successful in the long run. Nuno hasn’t made many mistakes yet.

It’s football. Players come and go. However much we love them.

Thanks Diogo x

I probably wouldn’t be so nice about it if it was Neves, Jiminez or Boly though...

One concern of mine is that these Doc and Jota deals kind of open the floodgates for those players to go down the same route. I know you can't always stop it, but it's unsettling

I just basing it on experience: signing Moutinho for £5m for example. Transfer fees are not logical these days. People need to fucking get over it. From the club's perspective, money in is good for FFP purposes and it's a profit on what was paid.

I'm happy to join in with the sadness to see such an important player during the Nuno era go. But handwringing over transfer fees is tedious imv. There's been no consistency on transfer fees during the Fosun era.
Moutinho for £5m now looks fooking ridiculous in hindsight.

Diogo has some good years ahead, definitely sad to see him go if he does. Liverpool fans online seem equally sad to see the Hoever leave too funnily enough. I can't recall any player Wolves have sold under Nuno who hasn't been upgraded though

One concern of mine is that these Doc and Jota deals kind of open the floodgates for those players to go down the same route. I know you can't always stop it, but it's unsettling
From about U10s onwards smart footballers know the strengths and weaknesses of those they play with. Losing players won't bother them beyond personal relationships, not upgrading them will.

And it's really pissing me off that RAWK hasn't even got a thread up on him. Bindipping scutters. I fucking hate that football club. I've never met a Liverpool fan that wasn't a complete twat.

There’s about twenty pages discussing it in their Liverpool summer transfers thread which hides in flagpole corner general sport rather than the straight Liverpool section. How they set up what thread goes where on there often strikes me as a bit odd.

Patricio
Boly coady Saiss

Hoever Neves Moutinho Marcal

Traore Jiminez Podence

Ruddy
Fabio
Vinagre
V Ferraira
Neto
Burr
Dendonker
Kilman

Plus whoever uncle Jorge has lined up from his pack doesn't look a bad squad at all. Plus Jonny.

Back