• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

It is worth pointing out who Jota's goals have come against

1 vs Crusaders
1 vs Pyunik
1 vs Torino
1 vs Palace
2 vs Brighton
3 vs Besiktas
3 vs Espanyol
2 vs Norwich
1 vs Spurs
1 vs Everton

If you wanted to be really harsh, you could argue 2 of those were against pub teams, Besiktas was a dead rubber, and Espanyol played their reserves. I'm not going to go that far (!) but compared to last year it feels like he had more of an impact in big games - Chelsea home, both Man Utd games at Molineux, Watford away, etc. There is still time though...

I'd say he's the most one dimensional of the four, I don't think he really excels at anything in particular. When it's working for him he's very direct and that can force defenders to commit, at times catching them unprepared or forcing them into bad decisions. When it doesn't work he just ends up running down blind alleys and bundling his way into defenders.

Traore is still working on adding new elements to his game but the sheer speed and acceleration he possesses always give him that chance of an unstoppable moment regardless of his wider performance. If he can continue to build on the other parts of his game that are beginning to come to the fore then he becomes even more dangerous knowing there's an alternative to that 5 yard dash to the line.

Neto I think is most similar to Jota, at times you get that same directness from him but he also seems a bit more fleet footed that his compatriot, he's got a few more tricks up his sleeve to unsettle defences. Still early days with him but I think he's got greater potential than Jota, certainly looks like becoming a more rounded player already.

Podence is difficult to judge so far on few appearances but he looks a completely different proposition to the others. Seems far less reliant on direct running and more nuanced in his play, drops into some good pockets of space and tries more ambitious interplay than pretty much anyone else in the side. Could see him being a preferred option in games where teams are likely to sit a lot of men behind the ball.

Can't agree with this at all! I think of the four, he has the most tools. He's as good a dribbler or ball carrier as Neto and Adama (well maybe not quite Adama but he's not far off him). He's also a far bigger goal threat than the two, and is the best off of both feet in terms of scoring (including Raul IMO).

What sets him apart for me from the others though is his movement off the ball. We are at our best as a team when he is dropping in between opposition lines (ie. chance he created against Arsenal for Adama) or running behind the defence (Everton at home recently about three times, City home for Ederson red card two examples that spring to mind). He also is arguably our best forward (definitely of the wide players) at getting in positions for easier tap ins. What we need from him now is to get those final actions (as Nuno also says about the team in general) right more consistently, which when he's playing off instinct as you say he is great with.

Podence may be the most similar to him in terms of these movements - though from the limited time we've seen of him Podence is more likely to receive to feet in general than run in behind. Podence is also a little more technically refined but if we were comparing players I'd put Podence closer to Jota, and Neto closer to Adama.

To go all stats nerd too - his xG per 90 is actually better than anyone at the club including Raul (Podence hasn't played enough minutes to judge this). He won't underperform this in the long run, so that's where the perceived lack of consistency will be resolved in my opinion with regards to goalscoring.

Finally, I think there have been a lot of times where Jota has played without being completely injury free. When he has then been able to rest and come out of the team, he has always come back better for it. The beauty of having Neto, Adama and Podence as options now means that doesn't have to be the case, and they can all compete for the positions which is very healthy.

When it doesn't work he just ends up running down blind alleys and bundling his way into defenders.

I think this is Jota's main negative. It's like he's given up/doesn't back himself and just seeing whether he'll get a lucky bounce or a foul

Perhaps we should play Neto/Podence more as a LF and him as a LS. With both pushing into the team more maybe we will now

Can't agree with this at all! I think of the four, he has the most tools. He's as good a dribbler or ball carrier as Neto and Adama (well maybe not quite Adama but he's not far off him). He's also a far bigger goal threat than the two, and is the best off of both feet in terms of scoring (including Raul IMO).

What sets him apart for me from the others though is his movement off the ball. We are at our best as a team when he is dropping in between opposition lines (ie. chance he created against Arsenal for Adama) or running behind the defence (Everton at home recently about three times, City home for Ederson red card two examples that spring to mind). He also is arguably our best forward (definitely of the wide players) at getting in positions for easier tap ins. What we need from him now is to get those final actions (as Nuno also says about the team in general) right more consistently, which when he's playing off instinct as you say he is great with.

Podence may be the most similar to him in terms of these movements - though from the limited time we've seen of him Podence is more likely to receive to feet in general than run in behind. Podence is also a little more technically refined but if we were comparing players I'd put Podence closer to Jota, and Neto closer to Adama.

To go all stats nerd too - his xG per 90 is actually better than anyone at the club including Raul (Podence hasn't played enough minutes to judge this). He won't underperform this in the long run, so that's where the perceived lack of consistency will be resolved in my opinion with regards to goalscoring.

Finally, I think there have been a lot of times where Jota has played without being completely injury free. When he has then been able to rest and come out of the team, he has always come back better for it. The beauty of having Neto, Adama and Podence as options now means that doesn't have to be the case, and they can all compete for the positions which is very healthy.

Be interesting to see what his stats are like for success take ons if you had that available? He's good when there are big spaces to run in and you get defenders making reckless decisions, back him majority of times to get that little nick on the ball ahead of them to get by them, or he often appears to slow down and wait for them to get closer to buy a foul at times, but I don't feel he has anything like the same success when things get tighter and he's trying to get the better of a well positioned defender who's happy to just stand him up. Obviously Traore has it in his locker to make those situations look easy with his pace and both Neto and Podence have a few more tricks up their sleeves twisting and turning to try and shake off the attention of defenders but I don't see that in Jota personally.

Movement off the ball I'll give you, he has the most variation there as he'll both come short and try to run in behind, Podence so far only really shown the former, Traore still not much of anything at times but he's certainly better in this regard than when he signed and I think Neto is a bit of a loose cannon at times, seems to flit around all over the place and could potentially lead to problems with the defensive shape in some games.

I think he's inconsistent generally, not just his goal scoring, when things are clicking for him all manner of things go wrong for him rather than just not getting on the score sheet. He does, as you say, though get into goal scoring positions better than the other wide forwards, though he has spent a lot more time playing centrally than any of the rest of them, both at Wolves and before, so it's not surprising he's more au fait with that part of the role.

He's a good player to have around but I don't think he should be held up in any special regard as a guaranteed starter in every game or irreplaceable, I think he's best suited to the games against the better sides where his defensive discipline shines through compared to the alternatives and his direct running helps make the most of counter attacking situations. Against the more negative teams where there isn't that space to exploit I think he lacks a bit of guile to make the most of the smaller pockets of space that need to be taken advantage of and doesn't really do anything unpredictable to unsettle those organised defences.

For me the biggest stats difference between 18/19 Jota and 19/20 Jota is the number of yellows. 18/19 Jota was a player you really did not want to play against. Chippy, feisty, a real pain in the arse. He just seems to have lost something in attitude this season...

Be interesting to see what his stats are like for success take ons if you had that available? He's good when there are big spaces to run in and you get defenders making reckless decisions, back him majority of times to get that little nick on the ball ahead of them to get by them, or he often appears to slow down and wait for them to get closer to buy a foul at times, but I don't feel he has anything like the same success when things get tighter and he's trying to get the better of a well positioned defender who's happy to just stand him up. Obviously Traore has it in his locker to make those situations look easy with his pace and both Neto and Podence have a few more tricks up their sleeves twisting and turning to try and shake off the attention of defenders but I don't see that in Jota personally.

https://www.footballslices.com/stats/235755

So he is in the 95th percentile for amount of successful dribbles, but he also attempts a lot and is in the middle for success rate. Adama has a higher success rate (no surprise) whereas Neto's is lower. Podence's much higher so far for us, but that's from about a 10th of the minutes. I do think Podence is probably going to be someone who completes more in general though as I agree technically he is very, very good.

Movement off the ball I'll give you, he has the most variation there as he'll both come short and try to run in behind, Podence so far only really shown the former, Traore still not much of anything at times but he's certainly better in this regard than when he signed and I think Neto is a bit of a loose cannon at times, seems to flit around all over the place and could potentially lead to problems with the defensive shape in some games.

I think he's inconsistent generally, not just his goal scoring, when things are clicking for him all manner of things go wrong for him rather than just not getting on the score sheet. He does, as you say, though get into goal scoring positions better than the other wide forwards, though he has spent a lot more time playing centrally than any of the rest of them, both at Wolves and before, so it's not surprising he's more au fait with that part of the role.

Don't disagree with this but think this is due to a range of factors including luck, and age! Think in the next couple of years will find out either way mind. Even in a front three, he is still the one who gets in most positions to score where he pops up in the box, often at the back post.

He's a good player to have around but I don't think he should be held up in any special regard as a guaranteed starter in every game or irreplaceable, I think he's best suited to the games against the better sides where his defensive discipline shines through compared to the alternatives and his direct running helps make the most of counter attacking situations. Against the more negative teams where there isn't that space to exploit I think he lacks a bit of guile to make the most of the smaller pockets of space that need to be taken advantage of and doesn't really do anything unpredictable to unsettle those organised defences.

On that last point, firstly I think Nuno has him down as an integral player (which I agree with). I can understand why people maybe think he's not as important as he should be due to consistency issues but I think if we continue to persevere, he has the highest ceiling by some distance.

Think against sides where there is less space he is still the player who creates the most opportunities (agree he still needs to improve on taking advantage of these, I think he will personally). Even against Sheffield United and Arsenal, in both games the opposition worked really hard to prevent opportunities for us to play through them and he was the only one to create space and chances through the middle of the pitch. He just hasn't played that well himself since the restart, which has been a shame as it may have been worth a few more points.

Yes, he got their second just looking. Tap in at the back post.

This discussion on Jota is this forum at its absolute best. Really enjoying reading it

Another thing Jota gives us over the other 3 is the way he times his press. He's brilliant at winning the ball back and in really dangerous areas. He had a run towards the back end of last season where it seemed like every game he was either creating great chances or getting opposition defenders booked/sent off by winning the ball back high up the pitch.

The only time I'm not 100% confident with Diogo is when he's 1v1. I'd like to see him try and go round the keeper more, he seems to end up losing control of the situation and just blasting the ball at them from close range.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

I think he tried that against Everton. It didn't go well...

If I could chose one thing to improve Jota's game it would be when to release the ball. His link up play with Raul hasn't been as good this season and I think there is an element that sits with both. Jota has been keeping the ball too long and running into one man too many. Raul has been greedier with his shooting, which I'm guessing comes from increased confidence, there have been some very Freddy hits.

Jota's best, for me, when he hits it early and instinctively (like against Everton) - best at that since Bully.

Someone is suggesting it's Palhinha, the DM, not Paulinho. Makes a bit more sense.
Entirely possible. There were loads of stories recently about Bruno LAGE being appointed as Villa's new manager... They've just announced that Johan LANGE (Solbakken's assistant manager) is their new Sporting Director...

Portuguese whispers...

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

I think we should do a collection of all the transfer rumours we get for us and see how many even come close to being true
If it's anything like last summer, it trends towards zero. Cutrone was the only one which was even whispered about before the day of the transfer.

Back