• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

The Sheffield United, Burnley & Sevilla games are still fresh in the memory I suppose.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

Pedant - we weren't winning against Sheffield United or Sevilla.

It was only the games v Burnley and Brighton away where we let leads slip (i think?)

It was only the games v Burnley and Brighton away where we let leads slip (i think?)
Yeah, can't remember any others off the top of my head.

Don't think 1986 was specifically talking about letting leads slip though, just about scoring more goals. Turning Wolves 0 Brighton 0 into Wolves 1 Brighton 0 etc etc.

Sheff Utd & Seville* games fit this part though "some potential draws ended up being defeats"

*90 mins only as someone had to lose on the night

Spiers -

A deal to sign Nelson Semedo for £29m from Barcelona is edging closer to completion. Likely to be announced in the next couple of days #WWFC

Yeah, can't remember any others off the top of my head.

Don't think 1986 was specifically talking about letting leads slip though, just about scoring more goals. Turning Wolves 0 Brighton 0 into Wolves 1 Brighton 0 etc etc.

Correct . If we can score more goals it will mean , possibly , that a late goal for the likes of Burnley and Sheffield won't matter as much . Same with Leicester at home , Brighton got mentioned as well . Spurs at home .
We're not as good to push home our advantage as other teams .
It also impacts on goal difference when we are level on points with another team in terms of League position .
I don't wish to be overly critical , but I do hope it forms part of our evolving way of playing .

Spiers -
A deal to sign Nelson Semedo for £29m from Barcelona is edging closer to completion. Likely to be announced in the next couple of days #WWFC

Joey saying will be done tomorrow

----------------Patricio

-----------Boly Coady Saiss

Semedo Neves Moutinho Marcal

-------Traore Raul Neto

Ruddy
Hoever
Dendoncker
Vinagre
Podence
Vitinha
Silva

With Jonny to come back too.

With a ligament injury like Jonny's we can't rely on him being the same player. Harsh, I know, but IMO we need to proceed as if his days at this level are done.

Can see rumours for us signing Oxlade-chamberlain are picking up some steam s well..

Where would he even play when he's fit?

ACLs don't tend to screw players over now like they did 25-30 years ago. Even then it was toss of a coin at absolute worst, Geoff Thomas was never the same player but it had as good as no impact on Alan Shearer.

I mean Danny Ings has had two.

I didn't know that about Ings and now he's an international.

Still it can be hit and miss, a lot depending on the treatment, but given our club's backroom staff record in recovery for our squad you'd be pretty confident we will see Jonny back to this best.

Someone put on here the other week that the ligaments come out stronger after treatment and players don't suffer any effects from it nowadays.

ACLs don't tend to screw players over now like they did 25-30 years ago. Even then it was toss of a coin at absolute worst, Geoff Thomas was never the same player but it had as good as no impact on Alan Shearer.

I mean Danny Ings has had two.

Callum Wilson did his twice too. Probably plenty more out there also.

Hennessy re-ruptured his with us. Success rates and ability to get back to previous levels are up at 95%+ and that will be higher with players having the best surgeons and it being their job to get fit with medical staff forcing them to do it.

Someone put on here the other week that the ligaments come out stronger after treatment and players don't suffer any effects from it nowadays.

Nah, that's rubbish.

When an ACL snaps it is removed and likely replaced by a strip of tendon (usually hamstring) which has a stronger tensile and shear strength than an ACL. People tend to lose what is called proprioception which is the bodies ability to sense as they did before in the joint (affects balance and the such like). Nowadays with surgery and rehab starting almost immediately then this loss is mitigated to a certain degree.

What really affects ACL (and PCL) injuries are the muscles and damage to the structures around it. Jonny has huge thigh muscles which will see him in good stead for this, particularly the teardrop shaped muscle on the inside of the knee (vastus medialis) It is highly unlikely that anybody tears their ACL without tearing their cartilage (meniscus) on either side of the knee. If he hasn't then the ACL shouldn't affect him long term. If he has torn the cartilage a little on either side then his knee may not be great when turning and it all depends how badly it is torn. If he's torn his MCL then that is a bad one but it seems like he didn't do this and this has not been mentioned.

It is really only bones that grow stronger after damage.

Nah, that's rubbish.

When an ACL snaps it is removed and likely replaced by a strip of tendon (usually hamstring) which has a stronger tensile and shear strength than an ACL. People tend to lose what is called proprioception which is the bodies ability to sense as they did before in the joint (affects balance and the such like). Nowadays with surgery and rehab starting almost immediately then this loss is mitigated to a certain degree.

What really affects ACL (and PCL) injuries are the muscles and damage to the structures around it. Jonny has huge thigh muscles which will see him in good stead for this, particularly the teardrop shaped muscle on the inside of the knee (vastus medialis) It is highly unlikely that anybody tears their ACL without tearing their cartilage (meniscus) on either side of the knee. If he hasn't then the ACL shouldn't affect him long term. If he has torn the cartilage a little on either side then his knee may not be great when turning and it all depends how badly it is torn. If he's torn his MCL then that is a bad one but it seems like he didn't do this and this has not been mentioned.

It is really only bones that grow stronger after damage.

This is all bang on.

The fact Jonny(the Spanish one) has started doing quite aggressive rehab post operatively would suggest surrounding structures (particularly menisci), have avoided damage.

You could see the wastage in his affected leg in his rehab video though, which is accentuated by the sheer size of his quads and calf in his unaffected leg.

I would imagine that forum Johnny has also done some aggressive rehab TBF.

I would imagine that forum Johnny has also done some aggressive rehab TBF.

Sadly comeback weaker though. Pre rehab he was a Lee Cattermole but now down to a Dave Edwards. Sad days

Sadly comeback weaker though. Pre rehab he was a Lee Cattermole but now down to a Dave Edwards. Sad days

We know where that slippery slope ends up: Steve Corica.

I hope he steps up his effort to avoid such a horrible ending to his forum career

AdvancedConsiderateAfricancivet-max-1mb.gif

Back