• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

I remember going through who those goals were against - I can't remember it exactly as it was a while ago but those 16 need to be viewed in some context. Goals against Pyunik, half a Besiktas team, Espanyol reserves. Not saying he didn't contribute as he clearly did but let's not make it something it wasn't.

16 goals not good enough in the PL?

Get out of here.

He didn’t score 16 in the league last season- he scored 7.

It’s certainly not nothing, but he wasn’t banging them in for fun by any means, and he wasn’t contributing anything in terms of assists to compensate.

I know you’ve been having a tough time recently, so I’ll let this slide. Go have a look at your response to my “packet of crisps tweet”, or your signature, or the multiple other comments aimed in my direction after we signed Silva.

Don’t give it out if you can’t take a bit back - it works both ways. Hope you’re alright x

Let it slide? The tone in a lot of your posts has been rank for ages and it’s not just me who’s called you out on it. Let it fucking slide, it doesn’t get more patronising. I’ll just put you on ignore because I’ve had enough of reading your shit.

I remember going through who those goals were against - I can't remember it exactly as it was a while ago but those 16 need to be viewed in some context. Goals against Pyunik, half a Besiktas team, Espanyol reserves. Not saying he didn't contribute as he clearly did but let's not make it something it wasn't.

His hatrirck against Espanyol in the first leg of our first knockout fixture in Europe for 40 years was a thing of beauty.

As was his goal and assist against Spurs and his sumptuous finish against Everton after the restart.

Nowhere have I said Neto won't score those goals. What I have said is I havent seen from him 'yet' that he will, based on what I've watched and his record.

I hope Neto will up his goal contributions, but haven't seen from him yet that he will score the amount Jota has

Well that is not what I interpreted, but we’ve cleared it up [emoji1360].

Shall we look at Bully's scoring record for us in context too as a lot of his goals were in the third and fourth division against rubbish teams?

One can only imagine/speculate, but it Nuno is happy to let Jota go, we must have a spectacular replacement(s) lined up.
The same was said about Doherty, and it's a fair comment. It's just a struggle to be patient, especially as the season has started and as Adama at RWB has been pretty crap.

I swear the day we sell Neves to Man U for £30m a couple of weeks before some future transfer window shuts, this board will be full of 'unconcerned' people mentioning how, well Nuno didn't start with him at the beginning of the 20/21 season, and how he never scored or assisted enough, and we have Jordao who could well turn out to be even better

Let it slide? The tone in a lot of your posts has been rank for ages and it’s not just me who’s called you out on it. Let it fucking slide, it doesn’t get more patronising. I’ll just put you on ignore because I’ve had enough of reading your shit.
No worries mate. You do what you have to do.

I've tried, the forum won't let me. :(

His hatrirck against Espanyol in the first leg of our first knockout fixture in Europe for 40 years was a thing of beauty.

As was his goal and assist against Spurs and his sumptuous finish against Everton after the restart.

You’re both right of course - his hat trick against espanyol was brilliant. It was also against a team that got relegated’s reserves.

You’re both right of course - his hat trick against espanyol was brilliant. It was also against a team that got relegated’s reserves.

Sadly as we lost to Stoke's reserves last night with most of a first team I'm not sure what counts anymore.

Spurs was by far and away his best game last season, IMO. It's a shame because it seemed like he was coming into form and looking his best self just as lockdown hit - who knows what would've happened if things had stayed normal.

Again, not saying he didn't play well against Espanyol...but they had half a team out. Everton he scored a great goal after tripping over his own feet a couple minutes prior - just summed up his inconsistency last season.

As has been mentioned, 7 in 34 in the league puts a slightly different slant on it.

I went into this before so I'm not going to go over it again but the 2nd half of 18/19 was his best run by far, he was scoring/assisting regularly but he was also scoring important goals against big teams (edit ok maybe I'm stretching with Watford but it was a big game after the semi final) - winner against Chelsea at home, winner vs Man U in the cup 1/4 final, equaliser against Man U at home, winner against Watford away...it didn't feel like that really happened for him last season.

Shall we look at Bully's scoring record for us in context too as a lot of his goals were in the third and fourth division against rubbish teams?

Depends, are we debating the merits of selling him?

I don't disagree he wasn't as good as 18/19 Jota and I think that has more to do with moving from 3-5-2 to 3-4-3 then anything else and the form of Adama.

Maybe that's in Nuno's mind too.

I'll be sad to see him go.

And to whoever it was that said we need to move Adama up front, No, just no.

And there were people mocking those being suspicious about his absence last night...

Anyway, I can’t work out who’s getting the better side of the deal here. The £35m fee pays off Silva, who the club clearly have high hopes for. I can’t help but feel we should still be getting a bit more, but then I remember the times where he goes 10+ games without doing anything. He was extremely frustrating to watch and constantly made the wrong decisions. At times he genuinely looked like he could play for a week and not score. But then there were the other times where he looked like a world beater. I have a lot of happy memories of his time at Wolves, but I guess this is where we are now.

I’m expecting to see some huge investment in the squad over the next week. Hoever is a good start (and a very Fosun signing) but I want top quality players that can make an impact on the starting 11 before the end of the window and no excuses.

I get what you’re saying here. I have no issues with Jota going. We need to be realistic. Leicester won the title and lost players to the big six. If Jota goes for 35m good luck to the wee fella. 25 m profit too.

I don't disagree he wasn't as good as 18/19 Jota and I think that has more to do with moving from 3-5-2 to 3-4-3 then anything else and the form of Adama.

Maybe that's in Nuno's mind too.

I'll be sad to see him go.

And to whoever it was that said we need to move Adama up front, No, just no.

Agree 100%, he's better in a 2 with Raul.

I get what you’re saying here. I have no issues with Jota going. We need to be realistic. Leicester won the title and lost players to the big six. If Jota goes for 35m good luck to the wee fella. 25 m profit too.

True, Leicester did lose Kante and they had CL to offer as well. I think the other pulling factor is despite his quality Jota was not a guaranteed starter, we have too many good wide options for that to be the case. Rotation here vs rotation at Liverpool and you can see why the move appeals. I would fancy him to play much more over Minamino and Shaquiri, assuming the latter can even stay fit.

There was something in the athletic a while back that said Jota’s underlying stats were really good last year, so either he will burst back with a big season this year, or he will always underperform his xg.

I always like strikers to assist as well as score though, I don’t think he does enough of that personally.

despite his quality Jota was not a guaranteed starter, we have too many good wide options for that to be the case.

For two wide positions we currently have two options. The third looks like heading to Liverpool, the fourth is our right wing back

Back