• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

Where has this new mantra come from? I guarantee 70% of the people on here will be parrotting it by this time next week. It's just not true

Neto did well last season and so did Podence. Traore was hugely improved. He's not walking into that team.

I like Neto, but look at his misses against Bournemouth and Espanyol. He 100% needs to work on his finishing

He does but Jota did worse than that twice in the space of a week [emoji2371].

He was great at the left foot leg swinger but other than that his finishing was poor too. Like at Brighton earlier in the season, which probably cost us 2 points.

Where has this new mantra come from? I guarantee 70% of the people on here will be parrotting it by this time next week. It's just not true

He didn’t start the Europa league after the restart against Olympiakos or Sevilla, and didn’t start against sheff Utd. That kind of says he’s not a guaranteed starter, does it not?

how many times did we talk about jota needing to first-touch shoot and stop overthinking things? he was hardly ultra clinical when in scoring opportunities.

not suggesting jota never scored and didn't do anything, but lets not be revisionist.

He was great at the left foot leg swinger but other than that his finishing was poor too. Like at Brighton earlier in the season, which probably cost us 2 points.

You know he scored twice at Brighton, yeah?

Raul misses loads of chances and I don't see people saying he should be chucked.

Like everyone I have mixed feelings. Loved his attitude but he was undeniably below par for a lot of last season. £35m plus a few add-ons seems about right, but we do need to re-invest in players who can contribute now. Our team for 23/24 is starting to look fantastic, but we also need players for now.

Always felt there was the possibility of Jota going given the number of forwards we've been linked with. I wish him nothing but the best

If we were reliant on Raul for goals before then it’ll be even worse now, Jota is the only other vaguely reliable goal scorer we have and we’ve already lost Doherty who was a source of goals and assists too. Like I said though, not a lot we can do - Nuno won’t keep anyone around who doesn’t want to be here.

Add me to gutted hes leaving camp. Yes he blew hot and cold at times last season, but he still ended the season with 16 goals. I dont see Neto, Podence or Traore chipping on with that amount, so ramps up the pressure on Raul to score. Secondly he had a wonderful partnership with Raul, especially in that first season. As great as Silva may turn out to be, if we are going 2 up top, I would want Jota with Raul over anyone in the squad currently

Agree with all of that

Worse thing if he moves is its another chance for cyber to dig out his runes/crystal ball/tea leaves and turn up with the nonsense of if its a 3rd quarter full moon in Capricorn on the night before Liverpool away Jota will score a hat trick nonsense

Presuming Jota is a Gestifute client? Things like this were always bound to start happening around now. I'm not surprised.

You know he scored twice at Brighton, yeah?

Raul misses loads of chances and I don't see people saying he should be chucked.

You’re literally arguing something I haven’t said?

He did but he missed the 1 v 1 at 1-0 which would have probably seen us cruise to victory.

Anyway, it was merely an example that he isn’t the lethal finisher we are portraying him to be, whilst discrediting Neto. Is his record better than Neto - Yes. Do I expect Neto’s record to improve - Yes.

That is simply my point. That I am willing to let go a player who isn’t nailed on to start for a decent fee. It’s good business, as I hope Neto can fill those shoes.

Shocked by how sad this makes me.....shit :-(

He didn’t start the Europa league after the restart against Olympiakos or Sevilla, and didn’t start against sheff Utd. That kind of says he’s not a guaranteed starter, does it not?

Is Neves just a bit part player after Sheff Utd too now?

Jota plays in the only position in the team where we actually have decent cover.

He's as integral as Raul, Rui or Coady, it's just we actually have people who can prevent him running himself into the ground and playing every game, they don't. You can't use the restart during a global pandemic or the first game of the season (when the Liverpool interest could have been the reason he was benched) as proof of anything

I like Pod and Neto a lot, but over-estimation of what they've actually achieved for us going on today, and lots of talking down Jota

You’re literally arguing something I haven’t said?

He did but he missed the 1 v 1 at 1-0 which would have probably seen us cruise to victory.

Anyway, it was merely an example that he isn’t the lethal finisher we are portraying him to be, whilst discrediting Neto. Is his record better than Neto - Yes. Do I expect Neto’s record to improve - Yes.

That is simply my point. That I am willing to let go a player who isn’t nailed on to start for a decent fee. It’s good business, as I hope Neto can fill those shoes.

And you go on to argue a point nobody has said!

Nobody is claiming Jota is a lethal finisher, and hes not the finished article. However, he has hit double figures in each of his 3 seasons for us. Those goals need to replaced from somewhere.

And who is discrediting Neto? Neto is a quality player, but hasn't shown he can step up and deliver those goals yet. Jota got 16 last year, Neto 5. And that was a season where everyone has pretty much said Jota wasnt at his best

Is Neves just a bit part player after Sheff Utd too now?

Jota plays in the only position in the team where we actually have decent cover.

He's as integral as Raul, Rui or Coady, it's just we actually have people who can prevent him running himself into the ground and playing every game, they don't. You can't use the restart during a global pandemic or the first game of the season (when the Liverpool interest could have been the reason he was benched) as proof of anything

I like Pod and Neto a lot, but over-estimation of what they've actually achieved for us going on today, and lots of talking down Jota

No, Ruben Neves started both the European games which were at the time our biggest games for years.

You don’t help your argument about picking bits of a conversation and ignoring others to make your case do you? It was said that he was a guaranteed starter, but he didn’t start our most important games (or our first game back), so he’s clearly not a guaranteed starter.

And there were people mocking those being suspicious about his absence last night...

Anyway, I can’t work out who’s getting the better side of the deal here. The £35m fee pays off Silva, who the club clearly have high hopes for. I can’t help but feel we should still be getting a bit more, but then I remember the times where he goes 10+ games without doing anything. He was extremely frustrating to watch and constantly made the wrong decisions. At times he genuinely looked like he could play for a week and not score. But then there were the other times where he looked like a world beater. I have a lot of happy memories of his time at Wolves, but I guess this is where we are now.

I’m expecting to see some huge investment in the squad over the next week. Hoever is a good start (and a very Fosun signing) but I want top quality players that can make an impact on the starting 11 before the end of the window and no excuses.

Probably was but if a bid has come in, the player will know either from his agent or the club and if the player then says "actually I want to go and play for the League Champions" you are kind of stuck and just have to ensure you get the best deal.

I'm sure Sarr wants to play in the PL, but Watford are still telling Liverpool to piss off unless they stump up megabucks

One can only imagine/speculate, but it Nuno is happy to let Jota go, we must have a spectacular replacement(s) lined up.

I like Neto, but look at his misses against Bournemouth and Espanyol. He 100% needs to work on his finishing
you used examples of Neto missing sitters that he needs to improve his finishing after I had stated I expect Neto to step up into those shoes.

I then state Jota also misses sitters and needs to work on his finishing (other than the leg swinger, he’s great at that).

And you go on to argue a point nobody has said!

Nobody is claiming Jota is a lethal finisher, and hes not the finished article. However, he has hit double figures in each of his 3 seasons for us. Those goals need to replaced from somewhere.

And who is discrediting Neto? Neto is a quality player, but hasn't shown he can step up and deliver those goals yet. Jota got 16 last year, Neto 5. And that was a season where everyone has pretty much said Jota wasnt at his best

I said Neto will improve his goal outlet. You then appear to say that’s not going to be the case. I think it will with a year under his belt more game time etc. Time will tell.

Back