• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

If we fail to win on Monday then it won't be because we don't own Matt Doherty any more.

Agreed.

In any event, there's a world of difference between not having a recognised RWB for the whole season and not having one for the first few games.

Last edited:
Are we really in that much more defensive danger without Doc? He was hardly Paul McGrath at the back.

We don't know that had 10 RWB's lined up. We don't know that we made an offer and it was accepted and then the player turned us down. We don't know that we made an offer and then the selling club upped the fee. We don't know if we made an offer and the player was about to sign and then another club came in with a better offer.

What we do know nearly two weeks later is we sold our first choice RWB, without first signing his replacement. How cavalier that proves to be remains to be seen.

This was a post by a Portuguese page of memes.

The description reads "Meanwhile at Porto's training facilities"

Nlytc9F.jpg

Im certain Nuno signed off the sale of Doc, dont see him as the kind of manager who would allow players to be sold from underneath him. There will be a plan in place for RWB, and may well be that Nuno understood we could be kicking off the season without the new signing there, and he feels we can cope for a couple of games

too true. i'm sure Benno would be a solid defensive replacement but without the upfield capability.

Bennett at RWB would destroy our method of play. I'd rather play Buur and I think he's gash.

I'll be very surprised if Benno ever plays a league game for us again.

If we fail to win on Monday then it won't be because we don't own Matt Doherty any more.

I admire you both for your powers of foresight! Can't say I'm quite as blase.

Let's not get wrapped up in pretending those concerned are all part of the Doherty fan club. But if whoever plays there for the next couple of games, whether Adama/Burr/Sanderson/Bennett(!), gets targetted and Sheff Utd/City get loads of joy down that side, or if our attacking threat there, a vital part of our play, is nullified, it will have nothing to do with not having a player there who made the position his own in the PL for two seasons? Come on.

I think some are in danger of underestimating what a solid performer we had in that position (and the possible impact of not replacing him adequately), while at the same time overestimating the impact a couple of very talented lads with barely 20 first team appearances between them will have.

Both unbalanced positions are surely not there to prematurely fudge a transfer window 'win' for the club that isn't quite yet deserved?

Sheff Utd got loads of joy down that side last time we played them (and we lost), and it was Doc there :icon_lol: He was absolutely honking.

Same position that I've held for the last 2-3 weeks, if we don't replace him at all or sign someone shit, then it's a fail. If we sign someone better then it's a win. I just don't think it's going to be the defining factor in Monday night's game.

Who knows? We definitely don't, perhaps Nuno thinks Sanderson, buur or Mattheson are going to be fine there, and they're the doc replacements, he's sees them and knows them more than we do, after all, if they're good enough, they're old enough, Rooney debuted when he was 15 I think, I'm sure Everton fans were complaining he's not going to be any good, he's only 15

if we don't replace him at all or sign someone shit, then it's a fail.

So if we haven't replaced him for the next couple of games, it's a short-term fail? ;-)

We could still get points from a game if we took any player out of the team, even someone integral like Patricio, Coady or Raul. But that would usually be due to injury or suspension, not by choice.

I've said I can live with it till the transfer window shuts, but at this point, without having kicked a ball, I'm not entirely comfortable with it. And I want us to have the best chance of competing in every game. Burr or Adama as wing back doesn't do that for me. As Tony said, it's in danger of coming off a little cavalier, especially when we already have a small squad who could well be playing fitness catch-up for the first few games anyway

Who knows? We definitely don't, perhaps Nuno thinks Sanderson, buur or Mattheson are going to be fine there, and they're the doc replacements, he's sees them and knows them more than we do, after all, if they're good enough, they're old enough, Rooney debuted when he was 15 I think, I'm sure Everton fans were complaining he's not going to be any good, he's only 15

Blimey, I knew this site was on the optimistic side, but the masterstroke of the Doc sale could be that Sanderson is secretly the Rooney of wing backs?? I might go for a lie down...

I don't need to see into Nuno's mind to know that he doesn't on the first 2 and the
third is currently injured.

Not aimed specifically at you Keef, but I can live with the view that Doherty was sold because they thought it was time to move on, I still have an issue with the timing and price but hey ho. I can't have he was sold because his replacement was already here which has crept in over the last couple of days

For the record no, I do not think any of the current options are viable for this season. Matheson might be in time. I don't even think he's fit though and he's still only 17.

We do actively choose to put Adama there at times (not that I think it really works) so it's ok (and I mean just ok) for now. Especially if we play two up top on Monday (I think we will) as it means you get him on the pitch without playing him up front, where he absolutely cannot play.

Sheff Utd got loads of joy down that side last time we played them (and we lost), and it was Doc there :icon_lol: He was absolutely honking.

This is a good point tbf. He couldn't deal with the overloads, or 1v1 against Stevens. I think we will go 352 this time with Donck to support and try and negate that.

Ideally we would have someone by now for that positions, completely agree with people on that. Hopefully we get the right person soon enough

I agree doc needs to be replaced - but we’re still at the point of “buy anyone who can play there right now, or someone really good at the end of the window” - I’d wait and get the right player personally.

If we don’t get someone by the time the window shuts however, then it’s a fail. Until then we just have to have a bit of faith - we can’t personally influence it anyway.

Back