• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

I think when the MD and the DoF both leave and the one guy now heads up both their roles it's natural for the focus to fall on him, whether that's at the one TWF extreme of packet of crisps or the other of leave me alone in a room with a picture him.

Exactly. Shi is the man who has his photo taken with the new signings, so of course he’s going to be the person the gets the brunt of any frustration*. Who else are we supposed to voice our concern towards - the janitor?!

My point was (and I really did think it was clear from my post) that Nuno has a role to play here. He could have blocked the Doherty move. He didn't. I expect he has had a part to play in taking the calculated risk in not having a recognised RWB going into Monday's game in the hope that they can sign someone better than Doherty before the window closes.

It's a risk because there are no guarantees that we'll sign a RWB, no matter how much the club tries, but there's no way Nuno allows this to happen unless he's taking a calculated risk (the only other option is there's been a falling out, but there's no evidence of this).

I don’t think at PL level you actively choose to take a “calculated risk” with your starting 11 for the “first couple of games”. We are playing Sheffield United & Manchester City. Nuno, quite clearly, would have wanted a natural RWB to play in the game and now he has no option other than Adama. Dress it up as you please.

Exactly. As I've said before, we missed out on Europe on goal difference last season, let alone points. It's not like the Championship where you have an extra 8 games to screw things up and still get in the play-offs. Just about every game is ultra-competitive and every point is vital. I don't want us mentally writing off any games.

If we're talking about 'narratives', can we dispel the one where everything that happens is 'part of the plan'? If we have to play Adama at RWB for a couple of games due to deciding to let our first choice go I'm not going to go OTT, it may well not affect us adversely in the short term, but if we don't replace Doc at all by the end of the window how on earth is that some kind of masterstroke? The thought of playing Sanderson or Buur there, or even Matheson at this stage, till at least January in the Premier League is beyond laughable

I think this Moutinho narrative needs to die off a bit. I just watched him captain Portugal as they beat Croatia 4-1. He was immaculate.

He's still an absolute fantastic player, he is not on his last legs at all.

No narrative mate, and no need to extrapolate. Just that it's rare for teams with top 6 PL aspirations to have a 34 year old tearing around their engine room for 99% of their games. He needs help to be at his best, I would have thought that's the best way to prolong his effective Wolves career tbh. Hopefully Vitinha is that man

No narrative mate, and no need to extrapolate. Just that it's rare for teams with top 6 PL aspirations to have a 34 year old tearing around their engine room for 99% of their games. He needs help to be at his best, I would have thought that's the best way to prolong his effective Wolves career tbh. Hopefully Vitinha is that man
Vitinha definitely that man. Silva will take a while as I feel he needs to bulk up a bit but Vitinha is first team ready.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

Vitinha definitely that man. Silva will take a while as I feel he needs to bulk up a bit but Vitinha is first team ready.

I think if Fabio at 6ft2 needs to bulk up, then Vitanha who is pretty slight and 5ft7 certainly does too.

I think if Fabio at 6ft2 needs to bulk up, then Vitanha who is pretty slight and 5ft7 certainly does too.
Different positions though. João is quite slight, doesn't really affect him because of how he positions himself & uses the ball. Fábio is going to be in more physical battles as a #9.

We are in a better place than last season as the 18 is much better. Instead of having to name a bench including the likes of Jordao, Campana, Buur

I can't see us getting out of not having Burr on the bench until we sign a new RWB, who else is going to cover Adama if his shoulder pops and he needs to come off, or if we want to play him as a wide forward in a 343? If the answer is Bennett or Sanderson then we're back in making up the numbers territory

Different positions though. João is quite slight, doesn't really affect him because of how he positions himself & uses the ball. Fábio is going to be in more physical battles as a #9.

Agreed, i'm not saying Vitinha needs to become the next Neil Shipperley, but he does look very slight at the moment. Podence is tiny, but he's a stocky little bugger.

Finally had a little look on MM at this ITK poster... Jeez, he loves it doesn't he? Is he on here? Lapping up the attention.

Finally had a little look on MM at this ITK poster... Jeez, he loves it doesn't he? Is he on here? Lapping up the attention.

You'd have thought that an accuracy ratio of 0% would have had a few people questioning him, but nope.

To be fair, the whole place was on riot/mass suicide watch before he started posting so he’s been good even if nothing he says comes off

Not having a recognised rwb ready to start on Monday is absolutely a failing, there's no doubt about that.

I would disagree with that and Jinky's comment saying same.

How can you say it's a failing on Jeff's part? Do you know who he has been in contact with? Do you have insider information about who is on our radar?

The fact is - none of us do. We don't know that had 10 RWB's lined up. We don't know that we made an offer and it was accepted and then the player turned us down. We don't know that we made an offer and then the selling club upped the fee. We don't know if we made an offer and the player was about to sign and then another club came in with a better offer.

We just don't know anything and thats the way the club want it, blaming Jeff for that is harsh IMO.

If the window ends and we haven't signed anyone, then yes, I will join you in claiming that Jeff has failed, but it's a bit premature when he's probably working his arse off to get a deal over the line.

a - I didn't mention Jeff.
b - excuses doth butter no parsnips.

We had a terrible start last season and ended up missing out on Europe on goal difference. The failure to make the "easy upgrade" in time for the start of the season, is precisely that - a failing.

If we fail to win on Monday then it won't be because we don't own Matt Doherty any more.

Back