• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

I think this Moutinho narrative needs to die off a bit. I just watched him captain Portugal as they beat Croatia 4-1. He was immaculate.

He's still an absolute fantastic player, he is not on his last legs at all.

I think this Moutinho narrative needs to die off a bit. I just watched him captain Portugal as they beat Croatia 4-1. He was immaculate.

He's still an absolute fantastic player, he is not on his last legs at all.

Are people saying he's on his last legs? He still looks pretty fit to me. However, there's no doubt in my mind that for the last 4-5 games at the end of the season, he was no where near his usual standard and did indeed look to be 'on his last legs' for that short period, not a surprise really. Hopefully this short break will have done him some good. Don't want to see the guy playing nearly every minute of every game this season.

He's still a wonderful player, but played in 62 games including Internationals last season which was too many and it showed towards the end. He's already 2 up on most of our squad this season, but as long as he's kept out of the cup games then I think he'll be fine, save maybe having to miss one of the matches over Xmas.

I’m pleased with the three signings we have made - but to be going in to the first game of the season with no recognised RWB (and I don’t class Adama as one) is a massive failing on Jeff’s part; despite the vomit inducing reaction towards him on here after the Silva signing.

He still has a week or two to pull one out of the hat for us/Nuno, and I’m sure he will, but as Sniffer quite correctly said yesterday, the first 11 will be starting this season weaker then it ended the last one.

I’d rather we get it right than get it quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are in a better place than last season as the 18 is much better. Instead of having to name a bench including the likes of Jordao, Campana, Buur who were pretty much there to make up the numbers we are going to have genuine options to mix things up and change games/give players a rest.

I think it's hard to argue against the first 11 being weaker at the moment though. Hopefully it's addressed sooner rather than later, as the run of games at the start should yield us some decent points if we get it right.

I’d rather we get it right than get it quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This. Only having Adama at RWB for Sheffield United away isn't that big of an issue really.

Our 2 main sources both say that we're looking at that position. Nash goes on to say that Nuno is assessing Sanderson/Buur/Matheson in training incase one of them can step up. If they can't we'll sign someone. It's certainly no rush though, just under a month to go and we've got 1 signing to make.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

We are in a better place than last season as the 18 is much better. Instead of having to name a bench including the likes of Jordao, Campana, Buur who were pretty much there to make up the numbers we are going to have genuine options to mix things up and change games/give players a rest.

I think it's hard to argue against the first 11 being weaker at the moment though. Hopefully it's addressed sooner rather than later, as the run of games at the start should yield us some decent points if we get it right.

Agree with this. Get the right-wing back right and I'm pleased overall though.

Remains to be seen what happens with Vinagre though too so may need a signing there. But get wing-back sorted in next week or so and it gives us time to play a couple of league games and see if we need to do anymore business - even if that means scouting in the football league.

I’m pleased with the three signings we have made - but to be going in to the first game of the season with no recognised RWB (and I don’t class Adama as one) is a massive failing on Jeff’s part; despite the vomit inducing reaction towards him on here after the Silva signing.

He still has a week or two to pull one out of the hat for us/Nuno, and I’m sure he will, but as Sniffer quite correctly said yesterday, the first 11 will be starting this season weaker then it ended the last one.

It's a failing if we don't get someone by the end of the window and for the opening game or two it's a risk. I still don't understand how we can possibly know whether it's a failing/risk that Jeff has imposed on Nuno.

Nuno may have considered it to be a calculated risk for the first game or two of the season pending getting someone in before the window closes.

As I've been saying all along, we can only make judgements about the collective success or failure of *the club* (seriously, what is the obsession with Jeff Shi?) once the window is over.

Being reported on Twitter that Campana is heading out on loan. To Portugal of all places...

This. Only having Adama at RWB for Sheffield United away isn't that big of an issue really.

Our 2 main sources both say that we're looking at that position. Nash goes on to say that Nuno is assessing Sanderson/Buur/Matheson in training incase one of them can step up. If they can't we'll sign someone. It's certainly no rush though, just under a month to go and we've got 1 signing to make.

I agree with the first part and I think we will get it right, Adama for one game whilst not ideal is OK against Stevens. I can see us getting another Porto player if not 2.

But Nash is a chancer and terrible reporter. There is absolutely no way that Nuno doesn't know the capability of Buur and Sanderson for RWB as he's seen them training for the best part of three years and Buur with the first team without so much of sniff of league action. We sent Sanderson on loan and Matheson has been playing in Lg1 and just a kid (not to mention a Thelwell signing) so there's no way Nuno is having them at RWB and isn't Matheson injured?

You could tell Nash it's raining outside and he'd report it without looking out of the window to check it. Never a journalist in a million years.

As I've been saying all along, we can only make judgements about the collective success or failure of *the club* (seriously, what is the obsession with Jeff Shi?) once the window is over.

I think when the MD and the DoF both leave and the one guy now heads up both their roles it's natural for the focus to fall on him, whether that's at the one TWF extreme of packet of crisps or the other of leave me alone in a room with a picture him.

I agree with the first part and I think we will get it right, Adama for one game whilst not ideal is OK against Stevens. I can see us getting another Porto player if not 2.

But Nash is a chancer and terrible reporter. There is absolutely no way that Nuno doesn't know the capability of Buur and Sanderson for RWB as he's seen them training for the best part of three years and Buur with the first team without so much of sniff of league action. We sent Sanderson on loan and Matheson has been playing in Lg1 and just a kid (not to mention a Thelwell signing) so there's no way Nuno is having them at RWB and isn't Matheson injured?

You could tell Nash it's raining outside and he'd report it without looking out of the window to check it. Never a journalist in a million years.
Agree for the most part about Nash.

I think what's actually happening is that we are interested in signing a RWB but there's nothing imminent and Nuno is keeping an open mind with the 3 mentioned incase one of them steps up. I have my doubts about Sanderson & Buur but what little I've seen of Matheson I like, he looks a very similar type of player to Esteves in the way that he carries the ball and links with forward players. The obvious question is over his physicality.

Not sure on Matheson's injury.

I think when the MD and the DoF both leave and the one guy now heads up both their roles it's natural for the focus to fall on him, whether that's at the one TWF extreme of packet of crisps or the other of leave me alone in a room with a picture him.
Exactly. Shi is the man who has his photo taken with the new signings, so of course he’s going to be the person the gets the brunt of any frustration*. Who else are we supposed to voice our concern towards - the janitor?!

I agree with Deano that the *squad* looks stronger on paper, but it’s the starting 11 that’s the main concern at the moment. I don’t think at PL level you actively choose to take a “calculated risk” with your starting 11 for the “first couple of games”. We are playing Sheffield United & Manchester City. Nuno, quite clearly, would have wanted a natural RWB to play in the game and now he has no option other than Adama. Dress it up as you please.

Anyway, let’s see what we look like at the end of the window. In the meantime, let’s hope Adama comes back on fire.

*I’m not frustrated, just simply airing my opinion on the window and our business AT TIME OF WRITING.

I don't think Nuno sees playing Adama as RWB against Man City as being a huge problem. He did it last year, too.

Out of interest if Adama got injured during a game who would play RWB as Buur doesn't look like being on the bench now. Donck?

Edit: Didn't read!

Maybe Marcal/Vinagre?

Not having a recognised rwb ready to start on Monday is absolutely a failing, there's no doubt about that.

We've (hopefully) upgraded Saiss, upgraded MGW, and backfilled cutrone. Obviously the two kids are extremely exciting, and I think they will both prove great value for money, and have a big impact this season. But the fact remains that the two priority areas were were RWB and CB, and while I'm cautiously hopeful on the latter, it is disappointing that we're going in to two really tough games with a weaker first eleven than that which ended the league season.

Back