• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

We seem to be clearing the decks for phase 3 of The Project. Get out of the Champo, establish ourselves in the PL and now we’re building a team that will compete at the top. And anyone who’s not up to that is going, either permanently or on loan

Our WBs dont play like other WBs. Jonny wasn’t a LWB either when he came, but defensively solid. Marcal seems the same.

I did have doubts about a bloke 5ft10 playing CB alongside Coady with 5ft9 Vinagre outside him. So makes more sense this way.

Tim Spiers has spoken (with a different story to yesterday) LETS ALL PANIC

Tim Spiers has spoken (with a different story to yesterday) LETS ALL PANIC
Lol I was just about to say the same. His conclusion that Marçal will start at LWB seems to be based on nothing other than guesswork. His E&S habits die hard when it comes to posting something pessimistic to send the fanbase into a frenzy.

Multiple wheels are clearly in motion now, so it's all guesswork, especially as a lot of us haven't seen much of Marcal.

I'd be surprised if he's thrown in as our only fit LWB for several months, so I reckon either Vinagre stays or someone else comes in and Marcal is a utility player (for all we know Saiss or Donk are on their way?)

I do agree it could be a little squad shake-up window

Yeah whether or not Marcal is tagged to replace Vinagre as the starter it would still leave us without depth at both WB slots (for now) - unless we're really saying that Richards or whomever is going to make the step up...kind of doubtful.

Tim seems to be a bit behind the curve at the moment, but I guess we will see.

Re the midfielder, I had seen somewhere speculation Loiodice would be coming back. I guess that's a possibility, one more for the fire :confused-smiley-013

-edit- I'm seeing Camavinga's name being bandied about. Not a snowball's chance in hell. I get being optimistic but we might as well ask for Sancho.

I'm guessing Marcal LWB, who will be Jonny's deputy when fit/back-up to Saiss. Vinagre goes as he can only play the one position, same as Doherty. If we had kept them both as back-up we'd have ended swollen in those two positions.

I know an option would be to move Jonny to RWB, but we're apparently in the market for one of those (backed up by the AMN interest/heavy Esteves rumours).

I'd have thought we'd have given Vinagre the benefit this season, but looks another clearing of the decks exercise.

Re the midfielder, I had seen somewhere speculation Loiodice would be coming back. I guess that's a possibility, one more for the fire :confused-smiley-013

Nah, already signed permanently for Las Palmas.

If Vinagre did move home over 2 weeks ago it is unlikely that he knew Marçal was replacing him.
I was hoping he would have a run of games as the #1 LWB and develop. If he has got home sick or spat his dummy then he doesn’t have the self belief in his own abilities to fight for his place so needs replacing.
If it is just a bit of 2 + 2 = 5 going on, we’ll soon find out

We've been in for Marcal for a while though as we had to get a work permit - it isn't a deal that has just happened overnight.

We don't know what conversations have been had between Nuno and the squad.

It's unsettling to see familiar players moving on, but it's exactly what needs to happen if we're going to challenge for the top spots. I guess Doc and Vinny would have been at the top of many people's lists for weakest link, Saïss and Donk after them (although I wouldn't want to see them leave). I know opinion is divided on Vinny, but personally I feel he's been here long enough to have reached his potential, and that he's unlikely to get any better. (Same for MGW, tbh.) I'm trusting the club's judgement that Marçal will improve us. Nuno's got a pretty good track record so far. If we can land Esteves as well, happy days at the back.

The small-squad template has been successful so far, but squad depth and rotation are characteristic of most top clubs. It's the only way to get strength throughout the whole bench, for a start, and makes it easier to cope successfully with injuries and cup runs. I get the impression from the rumours that we might be looking to move further in that direction this season, which for me would be a welcome move.

I think there's some harshness in assessments of Vinagre, he's obviously struggled to displace Jonny, but that's because Jonny is a really good player!

He needs to be playing games to kick start his career now, he's got the opportunity at Wolves through Jonny's injury but perhaps he'd already made his mind up to leave?

Jonny is probably in my list with Neves/Boly/Jimenez/Traore for the last players I'd look to upgrade.

Shame for Vinagre if true, but I guess he has been here three years now. Thought he would be one of the last we'd look to sell though.

There’s no good source for Vinagre moving on is there?

I wouldn’t be thrilled by it unless we’re getting Telles....

Just seems to be the 1 guy at the moment. Waiting on a Timmy to confirm/deny

Ah covering all bases on that one with "may"

On this one he currently knows nothing

From the Porto guy:

67ce726e87a2defbc142c2a30cde5237.jpg

We'll have the first two, ta.

Aboubaker getting killed is harsh

Back