• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

Opinions and all that - I think with time and consistency in the same position he would be excellent in a back 3

We saw in the games he played there that he doesn’t have a top defenders instincts and was too slow to react. Just because someone can tackle and head the ball doesn’t automatically mean they can be a good defender.

I’m hoping we get a really good natural defender who can also play.

Donck is fine as a back up option in a 3 man defence. During the time we were without Boly, I thought it was only really the last couple of games where he struggled.

We saw in the games he played there that he doesn’t have a top defenders instincts and was too slow to react. Just because someone can tackle and head the ball doesn’t automatically mean they can be a good defender.

I’m hoping we get a really good natural defender who can also play.

I think in a three he is fine, agree about him playing in a pairing would get punished if he got caught out.

His 1v1 defending is very good which is why I think I like him in that position to the right of the back three, as well as his ability to step in and play the ball into the midfield

Yeah I liked Dendoncker at CB, he had a couple of iffy moments but he slotted in fine.

I think the iffy moments would reduce with time and consitency of postion. Agree I wouldn't be playing him in a 2 (but neither are we going to play a 2). In a 3 his ability with the ball and able to step forward like Boly is a great asset.

His mishaps at the back were all pretty much exclusively in my memory with the ball than without it. If someone can find an example where his defending cost us a goal/good chance then that would be great.

I disagree, I thought Saiss passing out from defence is far better than Donks. His defending is far better too.

Personally, I’d like to upgrade Saiss and have Saiss as the bench option rather than downgrading to Donk at any point, seems weird to intentionally be going backwards.

I haven't watched it in a long while but from memory wasn't Braga away one? Again, memory is not the best at this time of the morning

His mishaps at the back were all pretty much exclusively in my memory with the ball than without it. If someone can find an example where his defending cost us a goal/good chance then that would be great.

Sheffield United at home maybe? him and Doherty defended the back post poorly and allowed Mousset to control and finish?

I disagree, I thought Saiss passing out from defence is far better than Donks. His defending is far better too.

Personally, I’d like to upgrade Saiss and have Saiss as the bench option rather than downgrading to Donk at any point, seems weird to intentionally be going backwards.

I think Saiss is a better option too, I just like Donck there too if we needed him!

Sheffield United at home maybe? him and Doherty defended the back post poorly and allowed Mousset to control and finish?

I think Saiss is a better option too, I just like Donck there too if we needed him!

The issue there was defending the throw in poorly and allowing them to get the cross in. I mean it’s not like Sheff Utd do the same thing every throw in by the corner. Can’t remember who it was out of Doc and Donck who went up for the header and they both missed it leaving Mousset free behind, will watch it again.

Edit - Turns out it was Both of them going for the same ball. It’s poor communication but Doc panics after completely losing Stevens and Donck goes for the ball in his zone Allowing Mousset to drift off him.

Sure, if the theoretical upgrade, Marcel, Saiss and Kilman were all injured then I’d be fine with him being there - I just wouldn’t have him there out of choice, I’d rather have a proper defender.

I’m still hoping desperately the Todibo link is true, would love us to sign him (and Soumare for the midfield slot!)

Spiers says Marcal will be our first choice LWB. No wonder Vinny is off then.

The reports from the Lyon fans were he was an average LWB but looked good in the middle, so I have to say I have mixed feelings on this.

The reports from the Lyon fans were he was an average LWB but looked good in the middle, so I have to say I have mixed feelings on this.

A lesson I have learnt over the years is basically ignore what fans say when you sign a player. Majority of the time they talk shit (the exception basically is us telling Stoke fans we have done them with Seyi).

Also if he is being used as a LWB, we still kind of need another just incase the Lyon fans know better than Nuno...

Didn't he state yesterday that no offers were in for anyone? He could well be correct but I don't think that he has an inside track on Nuno's thoughts or plans.

Back