• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

Cameron John to Doncaster confirmed.

Signed a two year deal and we've got a sell-on clause.

That'll be around his level for now and obviously that's way below where we are.

Marques, Otasowie and Sanderson are all far more highly thought of now with Hubner and Lonwijk also newly arrived.

Doherty isn’t all that good. He is fairly consistent and has improved but there are probably 100s of similar players who could do as well if not better.

And the best time to upgrade him is when we have a knackered, paper thin squad and we're already looking at starting the season with Vinagre trying the make the other flank his own?

Some of you make this 'upgrading' sound so easy, hasn't been that easy to upgrade Bennett, has it?

And the best time to upgrade him is when we have a knackered, paper thin squad and we're already looking at starting the season with Vinagre trying the make the other flank his own?

Some of you make this 'upgrading' sound so easy, hasn't been that easy to upgrade Bennett, has it?

Are you looking for bites?

Just looking for honesty rather than posturing tbh

Maybe have a look at the language you're using then if you're looking for a good discussion

Maybe it's just me, but the way some of your posts come across it's like you're looking for an argument

Not that I believe it, but I guess the thinking would be that Mourinho is one of the two biggest horses on the carousel rather than Spurs the club

Well obviously people would make that link, but it’s literally irrelevant. It’s not Mourinho signing the cheques.

Mendes has his fingers in the Portuguese clubs, Monaco, Atléti, Valencia etc. and that’s where the favours happen because it’s for the clubs not the managers. Spreading the money round and taking his cut.

I'm happy with discussion or argument, but I find many of my opinions are in the minority, which appears to wind some people up.

It's a great forum to read, but I have to say a lot of you seem obsessed with differentiating yourselves at all costs from Twitter idiots/Molineux Mix/ E&S kneejerking, to the extent that quite a lot of contrariness and logic twisting and, dare I say, elitist behaviour seems to go on.

That can be frustrating to argue/discuss with, so maybe that is why I can come across as belligerent.

Anyway, thanks (genuinely) for the advice, I might stick to just lurking for a few days till this saga is wrapped up!

Doherty isn’t all that good. He is fairly consistent and has improved but there are probably 100s of similar players who could do as well if not better. Not once have I watched him play and think he is irreplaceable and certainly not one of the best RWBs in the league even though it is a relatively small pool of players. He is competent and benefitting from playing under a very astute coach in a very defined system. For someone of his ability £10-£15 million is probably about right. If Spurs want him it is probably because they want to play a system similar to Wolves so he would have some value, albeit short term, to them.

If he leaves, I will be slightly sad for a few minutes and the move on to being genuinely interested in seeing if he can perform to the level he does for us at another club. I don’t think so but good luck to him.

This sums it up for me.

I think anyone who actively watched Doherty over the last 10 seasons was amazed at the turnaround in his weight, attitude and performance, and as I mentioned yesterday, huge credit goes to Nuno and team for that turnaround.

But while Doherty has flashes of brilliance, he is still poor in possession and still kills half of the attacking moves we create, either by playing a poor pass or failing to get past his marker. You could see teams finding him out last season and beginning to nullify the threat by covering their left side and doubling up on Doherty when he had the ball.

It's a great forum to read, but I have to say a lot of you seem obsessed with differentiating yourselves at all costs from Twitter idiots/Molineux Mix/ E&S kneejerking, to the extent that quite a lot of contrariness and logic twisting and, dare I say, elitist behaviour seems to go on.

And you seem obsessed with the quite odd idea that people are pretending to have an opinion that they don't actually hold...(not sure why they would do this, Internet Points aren't worth that much)

Sometimes people genuinely don't agree with what you're saying, as strange as you might find that.

Quite a lot of people aren't that keen on Matt Doherty.

That'll be around his level for now and obviously that's way below where we are.

Marques, Otasowie and Sanderson are all far more highly thought of now with Hubner and Lonwijk also newly arrived.

Agreed - we're being ruthless with guys at this level which makes a lot of sense. Good to see us learning lessions whereas before we've ended up with hugely bloated squads of players with no future here.

I'm very excited to see the U21's this season - some real talent there.

I'm happy with discussion or argument, but I find many of my opinions are in the minority, which appears to wind some people up.

That can be frustrating to argue/discuss with, so maybe that is why I can come across as belligerent

You’re not in the minority. I think most the time people don’t actually believe what they say on here. They just see a post slightly more negative to where their views are aligned and then go wayyyyy OTT the other way to criticise it which comes across as blind faith/pomposity/happy clapper whatever, when their views arent actually that. It’s odd behaviour but people get caught up in the moment.

And you seem obsessed with the quite odd idea that people are pretending to have an opinion that they don't actually hold...(not sure why they would do this, Internet Points aren't worth that much)

Sometimes people genuinely don't agree with what you're saying, as strange as you might find that.

Quite a lot of people aren't that keen on Matt Doherty.

I've probably explained myself badly over the past couple of days, but I don't think Doherty is amazing, it's not really about him, I just think he's not a problem that needs fixing this window, and I also am much more sceptical than some about our ability to replace him and also do the other recruitment that needs doing, based on our past few windows.

I'm not a troll, in fact I'm genuinely surprised that such an opinion is in the minority

Just looking for honesty rather than posturing tbh

Nobody knows what's going on, whether he's staying or leaving, that's how it stands at the time of writing this. How's that for honesty? Happy now?

I
I've probably explained myself badly over the past couple of days, but I don't think Doherty is amazing, it's not really about him, I just think he's not a problem that needs fixing this window, and I also am much more sceptical than some about our ability to replace him and also do the other recruitment that needs doing, based on our past few windows.

I'm not a troll, in fact I'm genuinely surprised that such an opinion is in the minority

Where did you have as the problems that need fixing?

Personally, I want a new CB as first, a creative attacking midfielder to replace Donk when we play 3-5-2 as second, and an upgrade on Doc for three. I’d then quite like a young striker to understudy Raul if I get to have 4.

Must say I've found this quite a depressing week to be a Wolves fan. I'm still haunted by the performances against Chelsea and Sevilla where - peno aside - we managed an xG of about 0.25 a game. I think we all thought as we kicked off against Seville at that we needed 3 signings at least. Now if Doc goes that's up to 5 and I simply cannot see that. Chuck in the complete pig's arse of the 2nd kit and I'm in need of some good news...

I

Where did you have as the problems that need fixing?

Personally, I want a new CB as first, a creative attacking midfielder to replace Donk when we play 3-5-2 as second, and an upgrade on Doc for three. I’d then quite like a young striker to understudy Raul if I get to have 4.

I'd be happy enough with three given the short window. Someone to take some mins off Moutinho/look to replace him eventually, a wing back who can play on both flanks would be nice (hence my support for AMN), but start them off on the left, and someone to take some mins off Raul.

That's in order of importance for me. If I get a fourth then it's a big RCH signing

Was speaking to a friend yesterday who is a Spurs fan & he couldn't believe that Matt was the answer to any question they had (though even more disparaging about Aurier's defensive capability).

If he wants to go or Nuno has decided that he has got as good as he is going to get out of him then there is little issue apart from the fact that it leaves a very small squad even smaller. Whilst the window will be open for a while we actually restart very soon.

Then again nothings actually happened yet on this and may not anyway

Has anyone asked Afobe on Twitter what's going on? He's Doc's best mate IIRC.

Back