• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

Re the reported price I don't know how much the pandemic is affecting the market, or indeed our finances. Chelsea are throwing around money like it's going out of fashion but even then probably not the amounts they would spend if it were a normal year - the reported fee for Havertz is something around €80m + addons - a normal year I'd expect that to be over €100m straight up. Man U reportedly asked to stagger the payments for Sancho, something you'd never expect from a club with their spend power.

I think the market might be correcting itself a bit after years of endless inflation, both buying and selling clubs have less resource available than normal. I think it will likely lead to a lot of addon deals where the upfront cash is the main point of attrition, rather than the overall deal - if Spurs pay us £12m up front then £8m over the course of next season then it's not as good as £20m upfront, but we still get to the same position in the end - I'm reasonably certain we'd still be able to account for that as a lump sum sale for the purposes of FFP, just some would have to sit on the balance sheet for a while.

The mendes carousel When applied to this club is a load of bollocks spouted by morons

I don't have much of an opinion on it tbh, but that carousel does throw up some weird transfers, and this is a pretty weird one?

Eze has signed for Palace. Think him and Feguson are good signings for them - they needed to get younger.

I don't have much of an opinion on it tbh, but that carousel does throw up some weird transfers, and this is a pretty weird one?

A Mendes carousel is moving players in and Out of clubs for his benefit. In the three years he’s been here, we’ve had superb players in, and only those that are no longer first choice out - doc would be the first genuine first team player we’ve sold in that time, and he’s probably second on most peoples upgrade list. I can’t see anyone that mendes has moved out that we wouldn’t have wanted him to.

A Mendes carousel is moving players in and Out of clubs for his benefit. In the three years he’s been here, we’ve had superb players in, and only those that are no longer first choice out - doc would be the first genuine first team player we’ve sold in that time, and he’s probably second on most peoples upgrade list. I can’t see anyone that mendes has moved out that we wouldn’t have wanted him to.

Yeah, the anti-Mendes stuff I've seen related to Wolves seems a little 'conspiracy theory' to me. Playing devil's advocate though, I know he's the first out, doesn't mean he'll be the last, and being on the upgrade list is fine, but those upgrades are surely better done on our terms, and from a position of strength? Is that what's happening here?

Until we see his replacement, and then how our moves for other players are affected, it's difficult to call at this stage. I imagine unless we see something approaching a summer 2018-style splurge of good quality players coming in the grumbles won't go away quickly though

Yeah, the anti-Mendes stuff I've seen related to Wolves seems a little 'conspiracy theory' to me. Playing devil's advocate though, I know he's the first out, doesn't mean he'll be the last, and being on the upgrade list is fine, but those upgrades are surely better done on our terms, and from a position of strength? Is that what's happening here?

Until we see his replacement, and then how our moves for other players are affected, it's difficult to call at this stage. I imagine unless we see something approaching a summer 2018-style splurge of good quality players coming in the grumbles won't go away quickly though

Mendes has undeniably being a force for good for us so far, we have a different relationship with Mendes than other clubs.

Without Mendes we'd be much more akin to how Villa have been operating

If we end up with a better player, great - kbut surely for that money we'd have been better off keeping him? Strength in depth, different options etc. We've got fewer games but it is a condensed season too.

Yeah, it's hard to evaluate not knowing what business we want to do ourselves. That and we don't know the actual fee. We shall see if it works out in our favour

If we end up with a better player, great - kbut surely for that money we'd have been better off keeping him? Strength in depth, different options etc. We've got fewer games but it is a condensed season too.

As has been said, maybe he wants to go? Cutrone was clearly not happy and we cut the cord on that pretty quickly even though it meant dumping someone we had just invested in; if Doc is unsettled or fancies it or whatever the reason is, it's probably best if he goes. Having unsettled players in a squad is not ideal, even less so when the squad is small as it magnifies the problem.

He was literally talking about finishing his career here a few days ago though, and he seems a humble character. I know they're a bigger club, but that shouldn't mean we let good players go for next to nothing, when we've got contract length in our favour. If we'd said 'doc, we know it's attractive, but that offer is a piss take. If they're sensible we'll let you go, but it's business as usual until we get what you're worth'

You don't know we haven't said that though.

He's thrown his toys before (albeit a long time ago) about not being in the team.

Depressed about this but with a squad of 13 players and two weeks to go to the start of the season I've taken BetVictor's 100/30 about Wolves finishing in the bottom half

Na, i don't adore him, i just have the ability to judge a player on how he is now rather than have that opinion clouded by how he performed in 1946, as you know that really doesn't matter now. :)

Let's be honest, with no current evidence to back it up, talking about Doc pushing for a move, or us not wanting to keep an unhappy player etc is just grasping at straws to fit a 'this is actually a positive move' perspective.

How do you know what other people are thinking, out of interest?

Let's be honest, with no current evidence to back it up, talking about Doc pushing for a move, or us not wanting to keep an unhappy player etc is just grasping at straws to fit a 'this is actually a positive move' perspective.

Absolutely.

It goes against logic too, only a few days ago he was saying he wants to see out the rest of his career here on the back of 10 years and 300 games.

Back