• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

Very late to this party.

How often have we grumbled about Doc defensively? He is great on his day going forward but off his day is meh .

Good luck to him. He has put in the hard yards.

He was on most people’s list for an upgrade. Let’s see if we get it . That’s the important thing. MGW and Doc were fixtures in the squad so it’s looking thin now.

Let’s see what comes on.
This season it's been very rare he's been off defensively. The only very obvious mistake he has made was against Burnley, and that was arguable.

In fact his best ever defensive displays for us could well have been in his last game.

It’s harsh and my tongue is in my cheek but I can’t think of many games where he was the defensive stalwart. Jonny has looked a street ahead this last year at both ends of the pitch

It’s harsh and my tongue is in my cheek but I can’t think of many games where he was the defensive stalwart. Jonny has looked a street ahead this last year at both ends of the pitch
He defends his post well, whether that's near or far and gives us height in both boxes which is vital in what is a predominantly small side

Does he? He was caught out a few times at the back post last season.

Like I said, how about the very last game we played?

Edit - Jonny better than Doc going forward? Really?

He used to get done at the back stick all the time as he was too lazy to get into position, and even if he was there, he was too fat to get off the ground.

He's alright at that now. His aerial strength is the only reason why I can think that Jose wants him. It's not enough on its own though.

I seem to remember him steaming in at the back post with his eyes closed, waving his arms around like one of those fucking inflatable men outside of shit car dealerships away at Burnley. Cost us Europe.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

I seem to remember him steaming in at the back post with his eyes closed, waving his arms around like a fucking windmill away at Burnley. Cost us Europe.

Convenient, because that goal was on Boly. Doherty attempted to cover his fuck up when he went walkabout and left Wood all alone 6 yards out and the general view was it was an extremely harsh penalty

I seem to remember him steaming in at the back post with his eyes closed, waving his arms around like one of those fucking inflatable men outside of shit car dealerships away at Burnley. Cost us Europe.

Who was it who said Doherty was a scapegoat?

People really need to forget what Doherty was like in 2016. It isn't relevant anymore. No one brings up how crap Coady was back then as a stick to beat him with, but it constantly clouds judgement of Doherty now, but it really isn't relevant.

If the fee is 12-15m we are being mugged off - it may well be part of bigger picture on the Mendes carousel though.

It is relevant because at this point its the only point of reference we have to what he's like as a player without Nuno coaching him. Is he going to regress to 2013 type levels under Mourinho, probably not, but equally it would not be surprising if his performance levels drop to some degree.

And if someone were looking to buy Coady as a holding midfielder or right back then the same would apply.

If we brought Sessegnon in on loan for a season (loan fee part of Doc deal) and got AMN for 20mill I wouldn't feel too downhearted. Sess and Vinny battle it out for a season and then Jonny returns.

We aren't a club that like getting players in on loan with no option to buy though.

Also we all felt we needed RWB cover before Doc looked like going, so surely if we only bought AMN for that side we still would.

that would be descent

It is relevant because at this point its the only point of reference we have to what he's like as a player without Nuno coaching him. Is he going to regress to 2013 type levels under Mourinho, probably not, but equally it would not be surprising if his performance levels drop to some degree.

And if someone were looking to buy Coady as a holding midfielder or right back then the same would apply.
But it's not relevant when we are talking about his fee and his worth to Wolves, can't say I'm too bothered how he turns out for Spurs, but I think he'll be better than many on here expect.

Convenient, because that goal was on Boly. Doherty attempted to cover his fuck up when he went walkabout and left Wood all alone 6 yards out and the general view was it was an extremely harsh penalty
Whatever you think of Boly or Mike Dean, what do you think about Doherty's defending in that situation? His attempt to cover up Boly's fuck up was to run in, jump, turn sideways, close his eyes and wave his hands in the air like he just didn't care.

Back