• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

The year is 2016, a time traveller has arrived back from a trip to the year 2020 and tells Wolves fans - You will be losing your shit in August because Tottenham, managed by Jose Mourinho, sign Matt Doherty for £15-£20m....Wolves fans kill the time traveller as he is clearly off his fucking tits on some shit hot drugs and is a danger to everyone.

The year is 2016, a time traveller has arrived back from a trip to the year 2020 and tells Wolves fans - You will be losing your shit in August because Tottenham, managed by Jose Mourinho, sign Matt Doherty for £15-£20m....Wolves fans kill the time traveller as he is clearly off his fucking tits on some shit hot drugs and is a danger to everyone.

Funnily enough I was thinking the exact same thing earlier on my break at work.

Hardly giving him away, obviously no-one actually knows the fee (if he goes) unless you believe twitter bollocks and know nothing media
what do I expect?.......reasoned debate without childish abuse?

Yes we are, for that price, but yeah an adult debate would be nice..

You missed the part where he tells us Coady makes Europa League team of the year.

Yes we are, for that price.

For what it's worth, and I've said this a fair few times to people on here in other mediums, I personally think Doherty has reached his ceiling. I hated him as a player, a lazy, overweight full back who wanted to attack and couldn't be bothered to try and defend, and was absolutely astounded at how Nuno turned him round to be a very important part of the team who contributed to two very successful seasons. But this season it was noticeable just how much space he wasn't getting, last season he would ghost into gaping areas and have oodles of time to control the long ball and decide what he wanted to do, it was extremely effective. This season though teams seem to have got savvy to it and while Doherty still pushed forward he didn't have the freedom to work in that he had last season. I think this is why he lost the ball a lot more as he was pressured much, much quicker. Yes he still contributed and I think he may have cut inside more this season than last (could be wrong there, I have form), but towards the end he started to look very ineffective (admittedly he wasn't alone).

Does he have it in him to change his game and give opponents something else to think about? I don't think so. Maybe he does, he's proved me very wrong once, but I doubt it. This limits our tactical options quite severely. Soon to be 29 and with no room to grow I think £15m plus add-ons (or whatever it is) is about right. Do I think it's wise to sell Doherty for that price and not replace him? No. Do I think it's wise to sell Doherty at that price and bring someone in who can play in different ways / is younger with a higher ceiling / has more to their game? Yes. None of this has happened yet so I can't say how it will pan out but yes I do have trust in Nuno, Jeff and the club as a whole, so if we go into October and the window slams shut and we're markedly weaker than when we finished against Sevilla then I will criticise, until then I'll leave it to the professionals to run the club and identify players who can push us on. That's their job, not mine.

So if everything turns out right then no, we're not "giving him away". Even if it doesn't then £15m is not "giving him away".

For what it's worth, and I've said this a fair few times to people on here in other mediums, I personally think Doherty has reached his ceiling. I hated him as a player, a lazy, overweight full back who wanted to attack and couldn't be bothered to try and defend, and was absolutely astounded at how Nuno turned him round to be a very important part of the team who contributed to two very successful seasons. But his season it was noticeable just how much space he wasn't getting, last season he would ghost into gaping areas and have oodles of time to control the long ball and decide what he wanted to do, it was extremely effective. This season though teams seem to have got savvy to it and while Doherty still pushed forward he didn't have the freedom to work in that he had last season. I think this is why he lost the ball a lot more as he was pressured much, much quicker. Yes he still contributed and I think he may have cut inside more this season than last (could be wrong there, I have form), but towards the end he started to look very ineffective (admittedly he wasn't alone).

Does he have it in him to change his game and give opponents something else to think about? I don't think so. Maybe he does, he's proved me very wrong once, but I doubt it. This limits our tactical options quite severely. Soon to be 29 and with no room to grow I think £15m plus add-ons (or whatever it is) is about right. Do I think it's wise to sell Doherty for that price and not replace him? No. Do I think it's wise to sell Doherty at that price and bring someone in who can play in different ways / is younger with a higher ceiling / has more to their game? Yes. None of this has happened yet so I can't say how it will pan out but yes I do have trust in Nuno, Jeff and the club as a whole, so if we go into October and the window slams shut and we're markedly weaker than when we finished against Sevilla then I will criticise, until then I'll leave to the professionals to run the club and identify players who can push us on.

So if everything turns out right then no, we're not "giving him away". Even if it doesn't then £15m is not "giving him away".
This sums up my thoughts perfectly.

For what it's worth, and I've said this a fair few times to people on here in other mediums, I personally think Doherty has reached his ceiling. I hated him as a player, a lazy, overweight full back who wanted to attack and couldn't be bothered to try and defend, and was absolutely astounded at how Nuno turned him round to be a very important part of the team who contributed to two very successful seasons. But this season it was noticeable just how much space he wasn't getting, last season he would ghost into gaping areas and have oodles of time to control the long ball and decide what he wanted to do, it was extremely effective. This season though teams seem to have got savvy to it and while Doherty still pushed forward he didn't have the freedom to work in that he had last season. I think this is why he lost the ball a lot more as he was pressured much, much quicker. Yes he still contributed and I think he may have cut inside more this season than last (could be wrong there, I have form), but towards the end he started to look very ineffective (admittedly he wasn't alone).

Does he have it in him to change his game and give opponents something else to think about? I don't think so. Maybe he does, he's proved me very wrong once, but I doubt it. This limits our tactical options quite severely. Soon to be 29 and with no room to grow I think £15m plus add-ons (or whatever it is) is about right. Do I think it's wise to sell Doherty for that price and not replace him? No. Do I think it's wise to sell Doherty at that price and bring someone in who can play in different ways / is younger with a higher ceiling / has more to their game? Yes. None of this has happened yet so I can't say how it will pan out but yes I do have trust in Nuno, Jeff and the club as a whole, so if we go into October and the window slams shut and we're markedly weaker than when we finished against Sevilla then I will criticise, until then I'll leave it to the professionals to run the club and identify players who can push us on. That's their job, not mine.

This all day long for me. A sensible and reasoned view on it

Can you delete my account now please? It's all downhill from here.

For what it's worth, and I've said this a fair few times to people on here in other mediums, I personally think Doherty has reached his ceiling. I hated him as a player, a lazy, overweight full back who wanted to attack and couldn't be bothered to try and defend, and was absolutely astounded at how Nuno turned him round to be a very important part of the team who contributed to two very successful seasons. But his season it was noticeable just how much space he wasn't getting, last season he would ghost into gaping areas and have oodles of time to control the long ball and decide what he wanted to do, it was extremely effective. This season though teams seem to have got savvy to it and while Doherty still pushed forward he didn't have the freedom to work in that he had last season. I think this is why he lost the ball a lot more as he was pressured much, much quicker. Yes he still contributed and I think he may have cut inside more this season than last (could be wrong there, I have form), but towards the end he started to look very ineffective (admittedly he wasn't alone).

Get what you are saying but why even selling him, he has been amazing for at least last two seasons, contributing both goals and assists(many game deciding), his offensive creativity is great.. IF we can get an upgrade agewise and maybe(doubt it) defensively and offensively, since we have a hard time getting anything from midfield or Jonny(love him as a player and think he is pivotal to out team) I dont think its wise to move him on..

He's not been amazing. He's done a lot better than pretty much everyone thought he would do, but equally he's always either at or near the top of nearly everyone's list to upgrade.

He still can't defend for toffee. Sheff Utd away he got absolutely rinsed when they overloaded down that side.

As has been mentioned by others, his lax use of the ball often costs us, and as I said earlier, his crossing from deep areas is worthless.

Agree with it all except the £15m part. Booz pulls out all the weaknesses in Doherty's game, none of which I'd argue with, but that's very much with a Wolves fans' lens. Tottenham, a Top 6 side want to sign a player from the side that finished 7th who plays week in week out and make him their first choice. He's 28 and has 3 years left on his contract. Forget who he is and what you know and look at those facts. £15m is woefully short

If we ever want to cash in on Matt this is the moment of the high value mark. It’s down to us what we do with it.

Agree with it all except the £15m part. Booz pulls out all the weaknesses in Doherty's game, none of which I'd argue with, but that's very much with a Wolves fans' lens. Tottenham, a Top 6 side want to sign a player from the side that finished 7th who plays week in week out and make him their first choice. He's 28 and has 3 years left on his contract. Forget who he is and what you know and look at those facts. £15m is woefully short

The more I think about it, £15m plus add ons maybe isn’t. I would much prefer to hear it’s twenty plus but he isn’t getting younger.

Get what you are saying but why even selling him, he has been amazing for at least last two seasons, contributing both goals and assists(many game deciding), his offensive creativity is great.. IF we can get an upgrade agewise and maybe(doubt it) defensively and offensively, since we have a hard time getting anything from midfield or Jonny(love him as a player and think he is pivotal to out team) I dont think its wise to move him on..

He hasn't been amazing, he's been good for the most part and has had a few stinkers, but amazing is really stretching it. The key for me is we can't rely on the crossfield ball anymore, we've been rumbled and need to mix it up. I personally don't think he's capable of giving us those options. I think we really need to see who comes in if he does go and judge when we see how it affects us. Douglas was just as effective in his sole season here and moving him on worked out OK. It's a bigger picture thing here if we do end up selling him, this isn't a (potential) transfer to be taken in isolation.

I think he has been, and he offers so much going forward(which is what we need) one - twos..running into good space..cut back passes in the box..i think people on here have always had him as a bit of a scapegoat tbf..

If Doherty plus £30m (say) becomes Ainsley Maitland-Niles plus Jesus Corona then suddenly the value is stonking. Jorge is making his moves. Let’s see what seat we are on when the music stops before passing judgement

Well, I didn't like him as he was bloody awful for years and didn't try.

If anything he got an easier ride in general than he should have done.

Back